Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is plenty of fog around here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

It is interesting to note that the BBC Beta Online forecast for several places in Eastern Ireland on Monday night is currently suggesting Heavy Snow, and again for some places on Tuesday night, withs temperature at around -2C. I wonder whether this is just a blip going on the latest GFS and UKMO runs... Or could there be some potential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowaddict wrote: »
    It is interesting to note that the BBC Beta Online forecast for several places in Eastern Ireland on Monday night is currently suggesting Heavy Snow, and again for some places on Tuesday night, withs temperature at around -2C. I wonder whether this is just a blip going on the latest GFS and UKMO runs... Or could there be some potential?

ECMWF rolling out soon Snowaddict, if they back up the GFS outlook then I would be worried, but there is a good chance they won't so don't panic just yet. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowaddict wrote: »
    It is interesting to note that the BBC Beta Online.....

Could I have link? Thanks

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Could I have link? Thanks

Yeah, no problem. Its the link below, and it provides local forecasts for many towns and cities along with airports in Ireland for the next four days. You have to click the dropdown to view the night time forecasts, which as of the last update, were showing the snow risk that I mentioned. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2040

Lol

Look at that one for tuesday :D

(snow addict these are highly dubvious)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2040

Lol

Look at that one for tuesday :D

(snow addict these are highly dubvious)

I agree, but they do provide some entertainment though. :D.
    Unfortunately I have do doubt that they will probably change very shortly.

I use this link sometimes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/weather/search/new_search.pl?search_query=Ireland

The outlook for Claremorris is much different on each of the links for mon/tues. Beta showing "heavy rain", while original showing clear skies. Strange. :confused:

Indeed and if you delve further into the Arklow one,you'll see it says visibility will be good in the heavy snow... *

*note there wont be any heavy snow at least I dont think so.

In fairness Paddy,they do have access to and do look at the GFS and when they look at it ,then it's formed part of their decision.I agree they do tend to go more ECM/UKMO than GFS but it's not ignored by either office.

Well, perhaps you have more information regarding this than me, but my understanding is that they base forcasts on ECMWF/HIRLAM:

http://www.met.ie/gfd/media.asp

I look at both these models as well regularly and ME's forecasts do seem to be consistant with outputs from ECM/Hirlam.

On topic: ECMWF 12z keeps us in a coolish, slackish, same (ish) NW flow up to Wednesday at least:

Recm1201.gif

Not fantastic, but not bad either. All very ho hum really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

So does it appear that this is all going south now ? No big snowfalls for the east ?? :confused:

Regarding snow risk, I'm still not sure tbh.

ECM doesn't appear too bad up to next weekend.

Gerry Murphy has delivered the 18:55 weathercast on RTE1 TV. I'm even more pesssimistic now. :(

Not fantastic, but not bad either. All very ho hum really. :)
    and not snowy! but hey this is only nov start of december! Theres a lot of ice to slide under the bridge yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

shamwari wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy has delivered the 18:55 weathercast on RTE1 TV. I'm even more pesssimistic now. :(

Ah good ole Gerry, even if a blizzard was on its way, he'd find some way of dampening snow lovers hopes....him and Dr Nulty...I always found Aidan a mild weather ramper of the worst kind....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gerry Murphy's charts showed weak trough lines passing down over the western half of the country but showers- which will only fall as snow during the night- being confined to western, southern and northern coastal counties throughout the weekend.

...and Aidan Nulty's forecast on the radio was not much better. both men should be disciplined for their negative forecasting.:pac:

now now chaps, don't shoot the messengers ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

ch750536 wrote: »
    Looking out the office window looks like snow over you just now, can you confirm?

only more sleety rain ch, some very threatening looking clouds about today , and delivered almost nothing :( ,not cold enough anyway .

Still reckon a good chance of some night time hill sleet/snow this W/E though .

Anybody know where Evelyn is lately? She has not been on in a while. She would always put an interesting spin on a situation like this. She is one of us really. :D

Anybody know where Evelyn is lately? She has not been on in a while. She would always put an interesting spin on a situation like this. She is one of us really. :D

Also a little easier on the eye than Gerry or Dr Aidan....:p.

• Advertisement

kerry1960 wrote: »

True, but Gerry's not bad looker either..*

*oops :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Well, perhaps you have more information regarding this than me, but my understanding is that they base forcasts on ECMWF/HIRLAM:

http://www.met.ie/gfd/media.asp

I look at both these models as well regularly and ME's forecasts do seem to be consistant with outputs from ECM/Hirlam.

That's right Pat, for Black Briar's sake i wish Met.ie used GFS as it's the most uptodate of all the model outputs they use at every 6 hrs. He would know in the short term what the conditions are with a bit more accuracy for his area and hopefully put an end to his constant bombardment of the Met service.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kerry1960 wrote: »

Jean Byrne is the easiest on the eye but she doesn't appear to be a snow lover:( it seems the Eagle and Evelyn are the best to listen to if you are after snow:D

True, but Gerry's not bad looker either..*

*oops :o:D

lol :rolleyes:

edit: if i remember correctly Evelyn was listed as a contributer in the 1987 Met Eireann 50th anniversary publication (can anyone confirm?)if so then she hasn't aged a day

Snowbie wrote: »
    That's right Pat, for Black Briar's sake i wish Met.ie used GFS as it's the most uptodate of all the model outputs they use at every 6 hrs. He would know in the short term what the conditions are with a bit more accuracy for his area and hopefully put an end to his constant bombardment of the Met service.:)
    heh

On that note I'm probably going to be giving the met top marks on this spell because I think it's unlikely to deliver any snow to low landers especially coastal lowlanders.
    One essential element missing [so far anyway]day time sub zero dew points in this airmass over us.
    Without that-forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I find this a handy link, detailed data from the latest GFS run in a single page. :D

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EIDW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Gerry Murphy's charts showed weak trough lines passing down over the western half of the country but showers- which will only fall as snow during the night- being confined to western, southern and northern coastal counties throughout the weekend.

...and Aidan Nulty's forecast on the radio was not much better. both men should be disciplined for their negative forecasting.:pac:
    Feckers, Talking down the metronomy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The air is more a RPM (returning polar maritime) rather than a direct blast of Arctic air. The air is tracking in from the west atm and has picked up more moisture in the midlevels from the Atlantic and also shown in the 850mb temps of around -4 to -6C.

If the air was more northerly the Dp would remain subzero throughout (as the air is dryer) except around windward coasts and in showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Showers of?
    I am begining to loss hope in seeing snow. D:
    I am just way to impatient. >.<

• Advertisement

I didn't see the latest RTE forecast, but I guess there is basically no snow risk being suggested then for the majority for the length of this cold spell?:confused:

Is that correct? One point to note is that GME, JMA and NOGAPS all delay the return of the atlantic weather until the very end of next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement