Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

SHOCKER!!!!

Gerry Murphy on the 9pm broadcast tonight struggled to say it but he stated that the east is at risk from wintry showers from tomorrow night onwards, on Sunday and Monday!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowaddict wrote: »
    SHOCKER!!!!

Gerry Murphy on the 9pm broadcast tonight struggled to say it but he stated that the east is at risk from wintry showers from tomorrow night onwards, on Sunday and Monday!!!!:D:D

he must be reading this forum:pac:

he must be reading this forum:pac:

Indeed, he sure must be. :)
    All in all it doesn't sound too bad (the forecast for the weekend and early next week). Out from there, is very unclear at the moment.
    18Z coming up now, I wonder what surprises it might bring our way?
    Certainly Met Eireann keep the very low daytime temps until at least next Wednesday. Already -3C here.

coastal margins though.
    They mightnt reach kilkenny-especially atnight time.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

SHOCKER!!!!

Was watching that Sa , it was very funny , he actually stuttered the word out :D , he he .

Speaking of snow this is prob the closest most of us will come to it for now (pic 1947) , and now for the Late Late Toy Show :D:D:D.

dam8q8nnu9hlnzxuoca9_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

coastal margins though.
    They mightnt reach kilkenny-especially atnight time.

Hopefully anyway, its going to be very marginal IMO. But the fact that Mr. Murphy even mentioned the concept is excellent I think.
    Its Bitterly cold out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Was watching that Sa , it was very funny , he actually stuttered the word out :D , he he .

Sn-Sno-Sneacthá, ah shit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

according to the bbc forecast at 10:30 pm, the showers should become more widespread on Sunday as the wind switches to a more northerly direction:cool:

according to the bbc forecast at 10:30 pm, the showers should become more widespread on Sunday as the wind switches to a more northerly direction:cool:

Very good news. In tandom with this forecast, the latest GFS charts suggest a snow risk very early on Monday for Eastern areas, and this feature travels southwards.

Also, in my opinion, Tuesday/Wednesday might be one to watch. There are huge fluctuations in all of the model runs at the moment, however the latest GFS run drags the colder air back further much further west very near to eastern Ireland late on Tuesday, in comparison with the previous run. Could be nothing or could be interesting.

In the shorter term, things could potentially get interesting into Sunday evening. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In the shorter term, things could potentially get interesting into Sunday evening. :)

Any chance of Western regions (or North Tipp, where I am) experiencing some snow showers tonight or tomorrow night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Bring on the snow! Throw everything you have at us mother nature!!

Any chance of Western regions (or North Tipp, where I am) experiencing some snow showers tonight or tomorrow night?

Hey Sierra Oscar, to be 100% honest I don't really know. Going on what Met Eireann said at 9pm tonight, the main (but not complete) risk for wintry showers is for western areas up until tomorrow, with the risk of wintry showers beginning to crop up in eastern areas from tomorrow evening onwards.

I wouldn't rule out a wintry shower anywhere over the next few days, and there is indeed a lot of uncertainty about the forecast out past Sunday really at this point, even the professionals seem to be struggling a bit.

The latest rainfall radar from Met Eireann at 10.30pm tonight shows a line of showers concentrated cheifly around western coastal districts. However, stay tuned and I wouldn't rule out anything at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Bring on the snow! Throw everything you have at us mother nature!!

Mother Nature has decided that we must suffer on for a while yet :mad:.

T'is Frosty and quiet around here :o.

Matter of fact its so quiet around here id swear i can hear the neighbours snoring :rolleyes::rolleyes: (not).

Interesting to note that the latest FAX charts issued by the UK Met Office.

They indicate a feature running down over the east of the country on Sunday night / Monday morning, from what I can see.

I also think that Wednesday may be one to watch. The latest FAX charts show a low sinking south over the UK, which briefly introduces colder air once again over Ireland.

Nothing is set in stone at the moment and no doubt these charts will change, but there may be some potential in this. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see what type of 3 day outlook forecast Met Éireann publish tomorrow morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

im here in west mayo, all we got so fare are hail and sleet showers, very disapointing, temperatures are not even dipping below zero tonight here on the coast, why cant anyone give a definitive forecast , it seems to change every day, the bbc , met eireann and metcheck are all contradicting one another, what about actual snow accumulations, will ther be any>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Give us 1 trough at least the snow Gods or if you are in a good mood a polar low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Well it's beginning the look like this could be a major cold spell for Ireland with great potential for snow almost anywhere.

Friday will see things kick off with bitter slack northerly airflow over the country with low temperatures of just 3-6c, showery activity will kick off in the North and along the east coast through the day. Snow showers should start falling in the east towards dusk and a sharp Frost overnight.

Saturday looks like being bitter with accumulated snow possible in the east .Then Sunday & Monday look very interesting with potential for widespread heavy snow at times as trough features move south. Nighttime temperatures always extremely low (down to -6c) and daytime temps falling progressively away as the cold spell continues.

Looking good folks.

Time for a Cold Spell thread

You really go over the top with things don't you. I know you make a big effort with your 'predictions' but you have being proved wrong many a time in the past judging from your past posts and it looks like its about to happen again. :rolleyes:

Cpaw wrote: »
    You really go over the top with things don't you. I know you make a big effort with your 'predictions' but you have being proved wrong many a time in the past judging from your past posts and it looks like its about to happen again. :rolleyes:

I think weathercheck posts make this forum.
    Infact I love his predictions.

I don't think he goes over the top as you say he just says what is happening with each model run!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Cpaw wrote: »

Ive got snow out and it is still snowing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

True actually. Weathercheck does contribute alot to this forum and fareplay to him. I don't mean to drag him down at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well it's beginning the look like this could be a major cold spell for Ireland with great potential for snow almost anywhere.

Friday will see things kick off with bitter slack northerly airflow over the country with low temperatures of just 3-6c, showery activity will kick off in the North and along the east coast through the day. Snow showers should start falling in the east towards dusk and a sharp Frost overnight.

Saturday looks like being bitter with accumulated snow possible in the east 2-5c countrywide in a slack airstream. Freezing overnight with a severe frost with temperatures dipping to -4c.

Them Sunday & Monday look very interesting with potential for widespread heavy snow at times as trough features move south. Nighttime temperatures always extremely low (down to -6c) and daytime temps falling progressively away as the cold spell continues.

Looking good folks.

Time for a Cold Spell thread

While he is quite enthusiastic, you gotta admit, he covered himself! :D

Danno wrote: »
    While he is quite enthusiastic, you gotta admit, he covered himself! :D

Hopefully in snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well Met Eireann's forecast this morning is even more downbeat,mostly dry and frosty nights, sunny by day,except where freezing fog lingers,with a few showers up north and west near the coast. No snow fest this weekend as looked 'possible' early this week.Goes to show how fickle weather can be...

Heavy rain progged for Tuesday, not sure,but that might be interesting seeing as temps this week will struggle to 5 or 6 at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hard to see where the snow is going to come from in the east. Winds dont look like having an easterly component to them at all..so unless we get any comma'esque features developing this will just go down as a cold frosty spell for most.
    That said there are some beefy showers out west, I wonder if Nacho and Deep Easterly are seeing any snow this morning?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Anvils over Tralee and Dingle just now.

Supercell wrote: »
    Hard to see where the snow is going to come from in the east. Winds dont look like having an easterly component to them at all..so unless we get any comma'esque features developing this will just go down as a cold frosty spell for most.
    That said there are some beefy showers out west, I wonder if Nacho and Deep Easterly are seeing any snow this morning?

Agree completely. However, its interesting to note, that even the latest GFS run for 06Z today keeps the snow risk in eastern areas on Monday morning. I wonder if this is just an error cropping up on it... We shall see.:)

Edit.. It also shows a risk for eastern areas on Monday night. But these charts do not in any way tie in with the Met Eireann forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »

Nothing to report here Supercell anyway. Having said that, like yesterday, some mightly looking Cb's and anvils to the west and north (maybe Nacho struck lucky??) Very wintry looking morning all in all. :)

EDIT: ECMWF hinting at a possible snow event, esp for north eastern half of Ireland on Tuesday morning:

Rainfall chart:

081129_0000_78.png

Corresponding 850's chart:

081129_0000_78.png

It is looking more like a band of organised showers rather than full on frontal, but given the major difficulties all models have in projecting the current set up, all this could change once again, but could be worth keeping an eye on anyways. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm out West at the moment looking at the 12 Bens,there's a slight dusting on the higher peaks but that's about it.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This cold spell is setting up to be very interesting.

Now today could be foggy and icy all day long.

Tomorrow will start to see the chance of snow showers in the east especially towards Monday morning.

Then from Tuesday the chance of low pressures laden with precipitation attempting to push up against the cold, could leave lots of snow across the northern half of Ireland.

• Advertisement

This cold spell is setting up to be very interesting.

Now today could be foggy and icy all day long.

Tomorrow will start to see the chance of snow showers in the east especially towards Monday morning.

Then from Tuesday the chance of low pressures laden with precipitation attempting to push up against the cold, could leave lots of snow across the northern half of Ireland.

Would you expect there to be much snow in eastern areas:confused:.
    One very interesting element this morning is that there has been a backtrack on the GFS model, which is now suggesting the reintroduction of colder air by next Thursday.

Very interesting times ahead. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement