Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Would you expect there to be much snow in eastern areas:confused:.
    One very interesting element this morning is that there has been a backtrack on the GFS model, which is now suggesting the reintroduction of colder air by next Thursday.

Very interesting times ahead. :)

Perhaps towards Tuesday yes.

Just showers for the east during perhaps tonight into Sunday, going by UKM 1.25 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snow at Malin Head and still -4c in Carlow at 10am;
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Now today could be foggy and icy all day long.

Well, there was a beautiful ice covering around here this morning - even on the trees and the like . . . however there is a big thaw occurring right now. Looks like it will all be gone in a few hours.

Not sure of the exact temps here, but it is very chilly . . .;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Its currently 0.9c here in blazing sunshine.

The outside taps are all still frozen solid. All the animals water dishes inside the sheds had a layer of ice on them this morning.

This cold snap may have caught a lot of people on the hop and maybe RTE should have warned people that if they were going away for a couple of days to turn the heat on for an hour or two overnight to stop pipes from freezing - like in the 80s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Just though I'd mention that the Net Weather forecast, which I have found to be quite reliable on previous occasions, is suggesting sleet and snow showers for Dublin (Eastern Ireland) for various time slots beginning Sunday evening and continuing out to early on Tuesday..

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ukw;dayin=3;timein=7;typein=1;#map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still freezing in Cork with all sheltered areas white from frost.
    This didn't happen once last year and we aren't in December yet.

Worth pointing out with the wind freshening tomor and Sunday it will feel even colder adding a considerable windchill

Just though I'd mention that the Net Weather forecast, which I have found to be quite reliable on previous occasions, is suggesting sleet and snow showers for Dublin (Eastern Ireland) for various time slots beginning Sunday evening and continuing out to early on Tuesday..

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ukw;dayin=3;timein=7;typein=1;#map
    afaik that changes run to run.Most peopole here are also members of net weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

I think from tonight into Tuesday us in the East coast have a better chance of some snow showers.

First time in a few years actually have an ice day today. Place is white its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

Maybe, I just have a short memory but I dont remember a day certainly in the past number of years that its been freezing like this during the day. According to met.ie Dublin Airport was -1 at 1.00pm. It feels like the real cold spells that we used to have. Where's the bloody snow though!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The Net weather extra full sub gives a more break down and also in good detail of the weather and atmosphere conditions at several places even around Ireland for the next 48hrs, hour by hour.

Looks to be another frosty night around here again. The frost has not thawed in places and im talking about on roads and paths.
    The frost is just as thick on the grass still.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Temp @ BLanch
    Low last night -2 degees
    2.50 pm - 0 degrees outside house and in car in castleknock.
    Q102 @ 2.30pm said it is +5 degrees att he spire.. i think they read the temperatures in their cars instead of getting out of them..

Last Feb drove from Holyhead to Coventry, via central wales and birmongham. roads clear untill i got to Birmingham, on one side of the city no snow, and on the other loads didnt think I was going to make it. it was good to see the snow.

So lets all pray it snows, and confirmation around dublin yet??:)

It truly is bitter out today. The air is really and truly cold.
    Its such a shame not to see snowfall.

Next Tuesday appears as if we will be in the warm sector missing out on snowfall with only sleet or rain.
    If only that low was to track further south, or if the cold air was to remain for a bit longer.

IMO its somewhat a waste of this very very cold spell, because snow would remain by day in Ireland in these conditions.

I do hope that eastern areas can see snow showers from tomorrow evening onwards, but I am not very optimistic at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It has finally broken the 0c mark here and is now 0.5c. Just in time for it to start getting colder again. No sign of the sun at all today. Fog has just about cleared.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IKILKENN2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Fog never thinned here today and the max temp was -0.4c, frosty and grey. Very very slight breeze has started up in the last hour however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Really thick frost here (D4) today and still plenty at lunchtime in shady spots. The sunshine was lovely till about 1.30pm. Herbert Park Lake was frozen at lunchtime still and rather thick in spots. except for a patch in the middle and up the rotunda end. It was quite thick and the ducks were rather perturbed. Outside temp show by car was around 1-3 but the widget on computer (weatherzone?) was saying with windchill was -6. Not sure on it's accuracy but my toes are tingling!

Put the Chrissy tree up to get in the spirit!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some very dark clouds going over head right now - no snowfall though. Things are freezing over again here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Very cold in Dublin southside, my garden have very thick frost still on the blades of grass, temp has definitely dropped from early. would imagine its close to zero now. There is also some cloud cover here too! Hoping maybe snow clouds!

shipwreck wrote: »
    Very cold in Dublin southside, my garden have very thick frost still on the blades of grass, temp has definitely dropped from early. would imagine its close to zero now. There is also some cloud cover here too! Hoping maybe snow clouds!

Unfortunately they appear to be just low clouds at the moment as the latest Met Eireann radar is clear for eastern areas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

We might get that low to slide further south if we are lucky, All eyes on the 12z run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm in Connemara ATM,I have an armchair view of the 12 Bens Mountain range.I've seen many heavy showers pass through them during today but all rain.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they appear to be just low clouds at the moment as the latest Met Eireann radar is clear for eastern areas..
    Yep just low Stratus or fog descending again.
    Snow grains can fall from Status if it is deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Had a very slight sleet covering this morning and it hasnt really melted in the shaded spots , a very cold day in this location for November .

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yep just low Stratus or fog descending again.
    Snow grains can fall from Status if it is deep enough.

Yep, it would be great to just see some flurries. What do you make of the latest GFS charts (12Z) showing the snow risk in eastern areas on Monday morning and again in many places at some stage early on Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep we need to watch Tuesdays snow potential, at this moment according to the 12z seems like the risk is just too far north, probably areas north of Belfast getting snow.

Small movements of this low and the cold air could be crucial to deciding whether we get buckets of snow or rain.

At first hand i see the chance of some snow for the east coast during Sunday night early Monday ;)

Yep, it would be great to just see some flurries. What do you make of the latest GFS charts (12Z) showing the snow risk in eastern areas on Monday morning and again in many places at some stage early on Tuesday?
    GFS has now progged a chance of snow for the east over many runs now for Monday and also to be the coldest day in this spell.
    This is a nowcast for snow. The 12Z 850mb winds have a NNE to them while the surface winds are N'ly. Sat and radar watching me thinks.

Tuesday i think looks good but would take it with a pinch of salt atm. Looks like the northern flank will get wintry but where the northern flank will be is anyones guess atm. The east could end up with no snow at all bar a few flurries at the most maybe sometime Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm happy enough without snow right now even! Got home at 1 last night and here in Skerries the roads were already white by then. That's a very rare thing around these parts. This morning everywhere was white with frst. I dont' think I've seen it as bad here in the 8 years I've been in Skerries. At 15:30 my ws has just tipped -0.1 and now it's -0.8. I've got to go out for a wander! This is fab! It really feels like a propercold event out there. I was down by the sea earlier and it was such a beautiful day and I'm dying to see the photos taken by on eof my friends because the fog on the hills looke dgreat, along with the quality of the light. You really can't beat this! Snow now would be a total bonus!

squonk wrote: »
    I'm happy enough without snow right now even! Got home at 1 last night and here in Skerries the roads were already white by then. That's a very rare thing around these parts. This morning everywhere was white with frst. I dont' think I've seen it as bad here in the 8 years I've been in Skerries. At 15:30 my ws has just tipped -0.1 and now it's -0.8. I've got to go out for a wander! This is fab! It really feels like a propercold event out there. I was down by the sea earlier and it was such a beautiful day and I'm dying to see the photos taken by on eof my friends because the fog on the hills looke dgreat, along with the quality of the light. You really can't beat this! Snow now would be a total bonus!
    Amen to all of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

squonk wrote: »
    I was down by the sea earlier and it was such a beautiful day and I'm dying to see the photos taken by on eof my friends because the fog on the hills looke dgreat, along with the quality of the light. You really can't beat this! Snow now would be a total bonus!

I was in Ardgillan this morning. The Northwest facing side of the hill, overlooking Balrothery and Balbriggan, was grey and foggy and very frosty, and stayed like that most of the day. The east facing slope, overlooking Skerries and the beach at Barnageera, was sunny and less cold, with a hole in the fog downwind of the hill. The frost had melted down near the railway line. Huge differences in such a short distance!
    There was a misty steam rising off the sea. I cant say Ive seen that happen before. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I agree Squonk, Something magical about frost and fog lingering during the day, it must be years since something like that happened here. :( Frost lingered in the shade here all day, but the evening turned crappy with light rain showers in bitter wind. Cold with frost is good, cold with rain and wind is depressing :mad: Not sure what temp is but my car said* 2.5c about 2 hours ago.

* Well it didn't actually say it to me, but you know what I mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

sometimes dont you wish you were back in the time when the only way to get a forecast was after the news on telly.

All these charts so far in advance and then overhype of same just leads to the ultimate disappointment. After last year I swore I wouldnt read too much into other peoples predictions but just like last year i am on every hour checking for an update. Really thought this was gonna be a big one. Frost is nice but snow would be heaven!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement