Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

no snow sorry girls your wrong again as per usual :)
    don't give up your day job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

untitled.jpg

Check this chart out for Thursday!!

Say that would be fun if it came off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

squonk wrote: »
    I'm happy enough without snow right now even! Got home at 1 last night and here in Skerries the roads were already white by then. That's a very rare thing around these parts. This morning everywhere was white with frst. I dont' think I've seen it as bad here in the 8 years I've been in Skerries. At 15:30 my ws has just tipped -0.1 and now it's -0.8. I've got to go out for a wander! This is fab! It really feels like a propercold event out there. I was down by the sea earlier and it was such a beautiful day and I'm dying to see the photos taken by on eof my friends because the fog on the hills looke dgreat, along with the quality of the light. You really can't beat this! Snow now would be a total bonus!
    You should make it your business to go up to Ardgillan tomorrow morning. It's been great up there the last few mornings, white as snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Damo9090 wrote: »

Check this chart out for Tuesday!!

Say that woud be fun if it came off!

Sure does. Would this be a second bite of the "snow" cherry?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

conceited wrote: »

And what sort of contribution is this to the site :mad:

MODS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its not going to snow during this cold spell ,its quite unusal ,it was soo icy last night at around 3 am ,i woke up at 9 am and it was rainy and wet . I thought at least if something fell ,it would be snow.
    Whens this coldspell over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well frost is widespread here in Cork already with temps hovering at 0C
    I dont remember frost like this for many a year.
    This year is gonna be different, memorable ? not sure yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pangea wrote: »
    Whens this coldspell over?

April. :mad:

In donegal here ,its wet and windy at the moment.
    Back in christmas week 2000 , St. stephens day to be exact, that was the last big big snowfall ,tempertures dropped to -14 i think in some places. Around 10-12 inches of snow fell in Donegal.
    Lakes were frozen, pubs had no beer because lorrys couldnt make it to pubs
    This year we have already seen some records ,Warmest May ,Wettest July, Coldest October, Hopefully December will see the biggest snowfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In donegal here ,its wet and windy at the moment.
    Back in christmas week 2000 , St. stephens day to be exact, that was the last big big snowfall ,tempertures dropped to -14 i think in some places. Around 10-12 inches of snow fell in Donegal.
    Lakes were frozen, pubs had no beer because lorrys couldnt make it to pubs
    This year we have already seen some records ,Warmest May ,Wettest June, Coldest October, Hopefully December will see the biggest snowfall :)

where in donegal are you, dont remember it that bad my self, havn't seen much snow here yet this year, just some snow caps on benbulben (sligo)

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »
    untitled.jpg

Check this chart out for Tuesday!!

Say that woud be fun if it came off!
    Thats actually thursday...Won't happen but if it did,it would be cold very wet and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

It has gotten foggy here. Temp out is -0.1 so it's actually gone up from earlier this afternnoon. I'm hoping for a bit of a drop now for the rest of the night. Would love a nice day again tomorrow. Someone said earlier I should make it my business to getu to Ardgillan, I'd love to but I don't drive so it's a bnit of a trek otherwise. Bummer! I don't see much snow arising out of these few days really but I'm happy enough so far any7way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

conceited wrote: »
    We can do without your kind here, take a week break and come back a bit more pleasant.
    kerry1960 wrote: »
    And what sort of contribution is this to the site :mad:

MODS
    Use the report post function KY under their user name. I get the email straight away. I'm tryin to watch the X factor you know, well i've no choice:o

irish-stew wrote: »
    where in donegal are you, dont remember it that bad my self, havn't seen much snow here yet this year, just some snow caps on benbulben (sligo)

Im around donegal town area yes ,actually in 2000 i was in mayo for it ,there wasnt as much snow in mayo as there was in donegal but it still was very bad, ,around 8 inches of snow ,with icyles up to a foot long. Im pretty sure it was as bad in sligo.
    Last season (this year) we seen three coverings of snow, around January, i think we had one in march/april to if my memory serves.

Last biggest snowfall before 2000s snowfall was christmas 1995, when it started snowing on christmas eve. It was bad.
    We usually get a covering of snow here once a year ,but recently it melts as quick as it falls.

just seen on rte ,,that theres going to be a covering of snow on tuesday but it will be short lived.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/nireland/#no_url bbc weather shows blanket of snow for donegal too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Weird thing happened in Mallow now. 20.00 hrs it was freezing around the -2 mark. Went outside now and its all thawed . Cars and all. Getting a bit cloudy.

Maybe snow on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Raining here in Donegal :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

just seen on rte ,,that theres going to be a covering of snow on tuesday but it will be short lived.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/nireland/#no_url bbc weather shows blanket of snow for donegal too

Hey Pangea, did RTE say this snow risk would be widespread across Ireland for a while, or what specifics did they give??

Just to note that the GFS 18Z run has upgraded the snow risk for many areas in Ireland on Monday night.
    Of course this chart is subject to constant change, however because its something in the hours of darkness it may be something to watch. Does anyone know what RTE said tonight about snow potential around Monday night / early am Tueday?
    uksnowrisk.png

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Hey Pangea, did RTE say this snow risk would be widespread across Ireland for a while, or what specifics did they give??
    Hey ,I cant really remember now , i think it was mainly northern areas that he said would get a snow covering ,he said it would be short lived as different wind direction coming , i think westerly winds.

• Advertisement

yeah ,just seen it again ,said monday night northern areas may have snow , but it will be short lived as blustery weather coming on tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Raining here in Donegal :mad:

Had 1 shower earlier coming in from Irish sea and fell as snow over here in east coast around 7pm.

Good sign tho as I am at sea level.

Lasted for 10 mins wow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Good one Repr! Delighted you got some sneachta! Still not hopeful in my part of the world. You always do better up there than we do down here. Fingers crossed now for tomorrow though. Different kind of night here. The temp has just gone below 0 here in the past while and there's a bit of fog around. There doesnt seem to be the same level of freezing going on as there was last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Good one Repr! Delighted you got some sneachta! Still not hopeful in my part of the world. You always do better up there than we do down here. Fingers crossed now for tomorrow though. Different kind of night here. The temp has just gone below 0 here in the past while and there's a bit of fog around. There doesnt seem to be the same level of freezing going on as there was last night.

We just have to wait till Tuesday for a major snowfall event could still happen.

And you guys down south are in the firing line!

It really is annoying having the cold air and no precip around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same here, tonight is milder than it has been for past 24 hours around here. Very little frost outside

Radio forecast this morning was interesting.
    Not because of it's snoyness but more because for both weather systems mondays and thursdays,the possibility of snow was mentioned (less so Thursday) and both followed by wintry showers.

That means 2 atlantic systems coming in without a pattern change to roaring mild but cold zonal.Thats encouraging in the sense that it's still early.
    You get a proper Northerly/North easterly or Easterly invasion with sub zero dewpoint air and it has less work to do for to create wintry weather weather.

Weather watching over the next few weeks won't be boring!

Radio forecast this morning was interesting.
    Not because of it's snoyness but more because for both weather systems mondays and thursdays,the possibility of snow was mentioned (less so Thursday) and both followed by wintry showers.

That means 2 atlantic systems coming in without a pattern change to roaring mild but cold zonal.Thats encouraging in the sense that it's still early.
    You get a proper Northerly/North easterly or Easterly invasion with sub zero dewpoint air and it has less work to do for to create wintry weather weather.

Weather watching over the next few weeks won't be boring!

Exactly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if quite a few saw some snow overnight on Monday, particularly in northern and eastern areas, where the colder 528dam air will hold on longer.

Its also interesting to note that the last 3 GFS runs have suggested another northerly for next weekend. Now this is obviously way too far out to be banking on, however it ties in with exactly what you said above. There is no imminent sign of a return to mild southwesterlies, which is very promising so early on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

i'd say there's a good chance of some whitee stuff on the E coast in the following days: maybe people don't realize the cold that has accumulated on lower levels - this will play a factor for any potential snow:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There was a good dusting on The 12 Bens in Connemara during the night.

3069945205_bc8249e53b.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Great Pic CrowdedHouse!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement