Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BBC weather say it will cold throughout the weekend and rather wintry at times. It seems like there will be a lot of will it/won't it situations through out the week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Back roads in Cork are covered in ice still
    This has been a memorable cold spell even if it doesn't snow

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

There was a good dusting on The 12 Bens in Connemara during the night.

3069945205_bc8249e53b.jpg

Did you take this yourself ?

One of the best pics ever on this site ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Back roads in Cork are covered in ice still
    This has been a memorable cold spell even if it doesn't snow

Indeed it has, Now for the farming forecast at one, more importantly who will be presenting it!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

conceited wrote: »
    no snow sorry girls your wrong again as per usual :)
    don't give up your day job :D
    kerry1960 wrote: »
    And what sort of contribution is this to the site :mad:

MODS
    Snowbie wrote: »
    We can do without your kind here, take a week break and come back a bit more pleasant.

he is right in what he says even if you people dont like it - the truth hurts and all that.

ok maybe he should have been a bit more pleasant as you say but the way people on this forum exagerate the conditions is ridiculous. you are constantly hyping up the weather conditions.
    a bit of a breeze is not a hurricane
    a shower of rain is not a flood
    a bit of frost is not an avalanche
    looking at weather charts and almost predicting an apocalypse.

i find other forums on boards are very accurate and a great source of information, but anytime i check on here all i see is sensationalism, worse than what you would read in the tabloid newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stunning photo Crowded House. Lovely snap indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

green123 wrote: »
    he is right in what he says even if you people dont like it - the truth hurts and all that.

ok maybe he should have been a bit more pleasant as you say but the way people on this forum exagerate the conditions is ridiculous. you are constantly hyping up the weather conditions.

i find other forums on boards are very accurate and a great source of information, but anytime i check on here all i see is sensationalism, worse than what you would read in the tabloid newspapers.
    What you have to realize is that if the models are showing a snow event in a short time frame that is what people think will happen. Even met eireann thought there would be a snow event on monday . So are you going to send them an email saying they hyped it up as well. give me a break:mad:

Snow looking less and less likely tending towards very unlikely

http://www.iverweather.co.uk/countryfile.wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A lot of people on this forum have a passion for weather and get excited when something good comes up like a cold snap or unusual weather.

If you dont like the predictions or what is said dont bother coming to the weather form, no one is forcing you to read it.

i saw that already and it said cold and rather wintry at times, which would indicate to me there is a possibility of snow at times - at least for Northern Ireland and England anyway.

• Advertisement

Utter Rubbish and an example of the fact that you couldn't be a regular reader of this forum.

Regarding Weatherchecks title to this thread...well nothing new there.I'm afraid Wc's win rate with forecasts is low enough especially with snow, but at least he comes out with an analysis based on the model de jour.
    It's not his fault if the model is wrong.

i saw that already and it said cold and rather wintry at times, which would indicate to me there is a possibility of snow at times - at least for Northern Ireland and England anyway.
    Not on low ground south of the northern half of NI though so its a "forget it" scenario.

Utter Rubbish and an example of the fact that you couldn't be a regular reader of this forum.

Regarding Weatherchecks title to this thread...well nothing new there.I'm afraid Wc's win rate with forecasts is low enough especially with snow, but at least he comes out with an analysis based on the model de jour.
    It's not his fault if the model is wrong.

Think that was for eveyone who made a prediction not only at poor aul WC.

Time for the Farming Forecast!

Not on low ground south of the northern half of NI though so its a "forget it" scenario.

we'll see. you've got it wrong before so i'm not giving up all hope of some snow this week - unless the farming forecast echos your pessismism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

sure dont worry about that black briar, never let the truth get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:
    Damo9090 wrote: »
    A lot of people on this forum have a passion for weather and get excited when something good comes up like a cold snap or unusual weather.

If you dont like the predictions or what is said dont bother coming to the weather form, no one is forcing you to read it.

over excited i would say and thats the problem.
    i want to read some realistic discussion, like i can read on other forums on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

over excited i would say and thats the problem.
    i want to read some realistic discussion, like i can read on other forums on boards[/quote]

i don't understand what u mean by realistic discussion...remember that meteorology is the most unpredictable science that exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

IMO the most sensationalist post in this thread.
    If you don't like what's here, how about setting an example rather than adding fuel to the fire.

Also give us examples.
    I don't remember hurricanes, avalanches or apocalypes being mentioned here.
    There have been plenty significant floods during past 6 months.

Wasnt the detailed forecast i was looking for, however its a hard one to call, Increased wintery showers moving south would just about cover it, What i did find of interest was how sure they were of next weekend already, Getting "VERY COLD".....again...

i want to read some realistic discussion, like i can read on other forums on boards

Well if this is not realistic enough, feck off to your "realistic discussion"

• Advertisement

Lads don't be feeding the troll :)

Kippure wrote: »
    Wasnt the detailed forecast i was looking for, however its a hard one to call, Increased wintery showers moving south would just about cover it, What i did find of interest was how sure they were of next weekend already, Getting "VERY COLD".....again...

That would make 3 cold weekends in a row.

Would love some snow but i dont mind frost or hail.

Anything white and frozen does me. :)

Lads don't be feeding the troll :)
    couldnt agree more just ignore him and he'll go away:D

anyway expect some showers tonite in the east

paulhac wrote: »
    anyway expect some showers tonite in the east

Of a soft white nature?

Of a soft white nature?
    you never know but theyll be wintry

so it looks like Monday night is our only chance for some snow until next weekend. we've had a few close calls, but sooner or later good things come to those who wait.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was out for a walk last night and there was moisture dripping from the trees, almost as if it was raining.

Did it get warmer yesterday evening or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

At the moment i would say the chance of snow i very good for the east.

I fully expect some areas along the east coast to wake up tomorrow morning with a dusting of snow.

Then again there is an increased risk of snow during Monday night as a front pushes south and fragments.

And then the real chance for a bucket load of snow during Tuesday night into Wednesday, the potential for snow seems likely to be a line from Dublin to Sligo northwards, but this is a liquid situation.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Well if this is not realistic enough, feck off to your "realistic discussion"

+1
    Just what exactly is 'realistic' anyway, green123? People on here were merely detailing what the models were showing and if you don't have the cop on to know that the models change with every run then it's your fault if you get yourself convinced x will happen. Yes it can be dissappointing when things don't happen the way you wanted them to but it's all just part of the drama of model watching- it's a hobby for many on here. This argument has been done to death on the english forums before this and the advice is to take a bucketful of salt with each prediction someone on a forum makes unless the weather 'event' is <24-48 hrs away. No one on here is a trained meteorologist but most find it enjoyable to try and make longer range forecasts. Why do you think meteireann etc don't really give forecasts beyonds 2-3 days ahead? It's because they can't- too much uncertainty and this cold spell is an example of this; the closer we got to this weekend the more the models downgraded the snow potential for us.
    If you were familiar with these weather forums you'd know that people are passionate about it and will make rather daring forecasts. Sometimes they can get it more correct than our own met service (see last October snow for example) but everyone knows not to take them too seriously so they enjoy the drama and buildup instead and won't be too dissappointed in the end. It's your own fault for getting yourself worked up and if you want 'realistic' forecasts you should proabably just stick to met.ie for today and tomorrow's forecast(however, in saying that they can often get things majorly wrong less than 24hrs out!). Anything beyond that is uncertain, and probably 'unrealistic' by your logic.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    I was out for a walk last night and there was moisture dripping from the trees, almost as if it was raining.

Did it get warmer yesterday evening or what?

yes. i experienced the same thing at around 10:30 pm, then by 3 am it was freezing again as i was coming home. there was a prolonged spell of sleety rain from about 10:30 till 11.30 pm, so there must have been a weak trough line moving southwards across the western half of the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement