Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a look at the 18z GFS charts. This week looks very interesting. Monday night, Tuesday night and Thursday night should all see some heavy precip. If temps are right we could see some snow. I'd say Supercell and I should at least see one snow event out of this as will others in inland areas. At the coast it seems more of a marginal call.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The trough looks good for nth midlands and maybe as far as Galway.

If i was to get excited about anything from this trough is the eastern side off the east NI coast. This could travel into Dundalk bay and pick up a but more moisture, or the Mourne mtns could sponge it completely??

Nowcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    The trough looks good for nth midlands and maybe as far as Galway.

It may reach here Snowbie later, but as for snow I am not too hopeful. Probably just more persistant cold rain like this time last night over dangerously icy roads. Ice rink roads today was a result. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It may reach here Snowbie later, but as for snow I am not too hopeful. Probably just more persistant cold rain like this time last night over dangerously icy roads. Ice rink roads today was a result. :(

yes paddy1. there was sleety rain here last night. it is very disappionting that we can't get snow, even at night, out of this cold spell.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

hi new to this but have been reading all your posts over the last few days.looks like im not the only guy who justs loves weather and especially the white stuff.like everyone on this i've been following our possibility of snow and really hope we get a good blast of it.looks fairly quiet in precip department where i am.slight chance in the morn but def early hours of tues morn sees an excellant chance.do be on that netweather site.was wondering is there another weather site with detail like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Welcome Redsunset! What part of Laois are you in?

looks like this snow is avoiding us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp around zero and it has just started to......

...rain. Grrrr09.gif

oh disaster.ah that fecks it so.that gulf stream has alot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Danno wrote: »
    Welcome Redsunset! What part of Laois are you in?

Stay on topic please :rolleyes:

Can't believe we are missing the snow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

According to the Met Eireann rainfall raider, there is some precipitation coming my way.

Temperatures are rising here, up from -0.8c to +0.2c. The dew point has also risen from -1.1c to -0.3c. Still within snow territory if some showers kick off, which is doubtful at the moment. A shower has brewed off the south coast of The Isle of Mann and looks like it may make landfall around Wicklow/Arklow. Perhaps something in an hour or so for the South East?

Snow reported at Knock Apt at 2.00am.

NRA http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm reports snow at Ennis, Roscrea and Athlone for 3am.

Met Eireann reports recent shower at Shannon for 3am with a 0c temperature - possible snow???

frost is gone.wind has picked up and cant see the stars so shes cloudy out but no precip showing up on radar so not lookin good kinda hopein its stealth snow(invisible to radar)ha ha.oh im goin delirious here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Cloudier night than recently,but still cold,temperatures hovering around zero,still frost on the car anyway ;). Freezing rain reported at Oak Park Carlow,looks like a bit more activity overnight in the precipitation stakes....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I woke up at 5:20 this morning and took a look out. Lots of hoar frost around the place and on the raods in the estate and the cars as well. Temp was 2.2c. Went back to sleep and woke up again to get up at 6:50. Temp had risen to 3.3 and the frost was thawing. Someone earlier pointed out that the M2 buoy temp yesterday was 6.6c and I wasn't too hopeful on hearing that but, it seems to have modified the air in my part of the world anyway as the temperature was fluctuating all yesterday evening between about 1.3 and 1.9c. I think for me anyway ME were bang on in predicting rain for any precip that occured. Now it does seem colder in the city center this morning so I'm guessing I'm being affected by warmer winds off the sea that are cooling then as they head inland. I'm not too hopeful anyway. Think it could be a lousy week for me weatherwise once that rain kicks in. Nothing worse than cold rain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

When I left the house earlier, it was raining. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I can see all those showers out to my east - nice TCUs actually and looked like little anvil was trying to form to one. If they are rain, they can sta away from me!

+1.4c here atm under clear skies. Dublin Mountains, for third day in a row, white with frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cracking GFS 6z with regard to Tuesday night/ Wednesday mornings snow.

I had almost lost hope but this would spell snow for lots of us!!:D:D:D

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn424.png

We have a good chance folks

Maxima Wednesday afternoon after the snowfall

Rtavn5417.png

Dunno about that-In fact I think you will be wrong.
    5c at mothmans with +3 dp and rain reported practically everywhere theres been a shower in the last 12 hours including up above roundwood?
    Remember last night you were sure of snow inland...

I'm looking foward further anyhow... I'd prefer this bit of ECM Fi to verify!.
    Much better synoptics.
    Shame its far FI though.

Dunno about that-In fact I think you will be wrong.
    5c at mothmans with +3 dp and rain reported practically everywhere theres been a shower in the last 12 hours including up above roundwood?
    Remember last night you were sure of snow inland...

I'm looking foward further anyhow... I'd prefer this bit of ECM Fi to verify!.
    Much better synoptics.
    Shame its far FI though.

I said theyre could be snow overnight in some eastern inland areas, never said it would be anything SIG.

I am looking towards tonight as another small chance of seeing some snow as trough which looks like it could be pretty active moves south, temperatures may just be abit high though but i would give it 50/50 for some snow showers especially as the winds veer more NW offshore.

The 6z is really intereste wrt tomorrow night Tuesday night, if it were to pan out as suggested it could be something to remember with possbility of up to 10cm in places.

Keep the chin up folks, we've had 3 really hard frosts in a row, the reason why we've had a few light rain showers is because of that, theyre light and coming off a warm sea, for snow you'd need a heavy shower to drag down the cold upper air.

But tonight thats not needed as there will be no sea interaction, but still temps maybe slighly high.

However i grow more confident on Tuesday nights chance, i would place this at 70/30 for the capital.

Keep the faith:D

heh I no sooner type a thing here when it changes..
    We had a slight snowgrain/flurry a few minutes ago.
    Nice to see.

All rain now though
    Dp gone from sub zero to well above 1 c during the shower and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Danno wrote: »
    Snow reported at Knock Apt at 2.00am.

it fell as sleet here. the shower was quite heavy too but would it feck turn to snow

The leading warm front tonight should move down towrds Dublin at midnight or thereafter. This could be freezing rain and very cold surfaces. It turns to snow when it hits the Dublin/Wicklow mtns.

Data from the HI res GFS which does take topography and coastal areas into account.

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081201;time=00;ext=24;file=znmmukptype;sess=1008fbe07e45d693d207ffa3f7ccd9c9;

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081201;time=00;ext=24;file=nmmukprate;sess=1008fbe07e45d693d207ffa3f7ccd9c9;

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081201;time=00;ext=24;file=nmmuktemp;sess=1008fbe07e45d693d207ffa3f7ccd9c9;

Next release is after te time this evening, this is a 12hr base model. 00Z and 12Z runs only but it is more accurate than GFS in the short term.

With regard to Tuesday nights possible snow event, the UKM 6z model has moved towards the 6z GFS scenario moving the low further south increasing the chance of snow here very much.

Interesting to see the 12z's and if they are inline expect some backtracks in the forecasts, mentioning rain, sleet and snow instead of rain and sleet!

A very difficult forecast that for sure!!

But i like the way things are going :pac:

Alot of borderline situations to come this week according to ME's long range on their website. Very interesting tonight and tomorrow night. However, this is all a 50/50 chance, and hopefully we will get something from one of them.

• Advertisement

Very borderline Danno but will it swing in the favour of widespread snow. I have low confidence on that one but NI could have a significant fall of snow on Tuesday.

With winds now into the SE, the chance of snow is nil in the east from the second system. The hills and lower levels of NI might get a good few hours of snowfall as the system pivots around up there and clears to the SE later on Tuesday.

Could be upgrades to this and is one to watch.

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081201;time=00;ext=41;file=znmmukptype;sess=74eba0a53b7ade76f63490c19ee9a3ff;

viewimage.pbx?type=nwm;date=20081201;time=00;ext=46;file=znmmukptype;sess=74eba0a53b7ade76f63490c19ee9a3ff;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement