Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thats the 0z data Snowbie which was very disappointing TBH

However the UKM and GFS 6z have made signifigant pushes south with the cold air clinging on and a 70% chance of falling snow in Dublin from them.

Take a look at them Snowbie, things are edging back in our favour.

I saw the 0z and was very downbeat but the latest runs have increased the risk SIGnifigantly, and with regard to the easterly wind you mention with regard to the system i would reckon it would be be very very light as the low really just slips but with the main swathe of winds to its south.

Regards and cya for the 12z!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I know it's the 00Z as explained in a previous post but it's Hi Res WC and is done at 1hr increments instead of 3hr like GFS.

Ive looked at the 06z and i can see what your talking about but although better for the precip to slip more south of us we are still not on the northern flank so much. I still think this whole system will go more north just like the 00Z again blamed on the Azores HP. A positive is the tail end of the system could produce snow as the cold air digs in quickly behind it before it clears.

The next hi res (12Z) be out at teatime tonight and will post any more findings. Lets hope for the upgrade but...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rain sleet and snow spreading from the northwest later on tonight according to the latest weather forecast. earlier on the forecast was for rain (with snow on the mountains). so it looks like early tuesday morning is the best chance of snow for some of us this week. Supercell, i think will definitely get some snow out of it as will others on high ground to the east and north. for those of us at lower levels it will be rain and, perhaps, sleet if we are lucky:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Metoffice have warnings out for NI for the first band of precip later tuesday night:"wintry precipitation" leading to icy roads. Also, warning for southern UK for tuesday and wednesday morning; "accumulations of 2-5cm". Is the air over england really going to be that much colder than over here for their meto to be practically certain of snow falling(they're sure when they give figures for accumulations).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looks good for Dublin to Sligo area including much of Mayo and North Galway on this on Tuesday Night...

uk_cloudrain_08120300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

As nacho said, meteireann have edited their forecast for tonight.
    "Frosty in many areas after dark but outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow soon into the Northwest spreading down over the country tonight and early tomorrow. Clearer skies following in across Ulster, north Connacht and north Leinster later with frost and icy roads there by dawn. Lowest temperatures + 4 to - 2 C. Breezy at times."
    Interesting they don't even mention 'high ground' as they nearly always do when using the sacred 's' word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I saw the rte forecast and altho they mentioned rain, sleet and snow they said that it was going to be very light and patchy tonight. Ive a feeling most areas away from high ground will see sleet and some wet snow mixed in, im not that confident that much still stick. Same go's for Tuesday night, I think it will mostly be a sleety afair away from high ground but the lads in Wicklow should see a few inchs on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Tonights feature looks like it will be timed to perfection for much of the country. Regardless of what falls out of the sky, most of us should see a clearance, and hopefully everything freezing up again before morning.:D
    The BBC precip forecast, which is often quite accurate, is predicting a narrow band of rain which breaks up and fizzles out as it moves south.

Tonights feature looks like it will be timed to perfection for much of the country. Regardless of what falls out of the sky, most of us should see a clearance, and hopefully everything freezing up again before morning.:D
    The BBC precip forecast, which is often quite accurate, is predicting a narrow band of rain which breaks up and fizzles out as it moves south.

Yes i was just about to mention that. Of course it seems to be more active over the north of england and scotland.:mad:
    They are predicting 5cm in places over there:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

hey around 3am and 6am wed morning looks the best i think.i've a feeling it might get a little too warm for any snow after this.fingers crossed we all get something significant to shout about.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Looks good for Dublin to Sligo area including much of Mayo and North Galway on this on Tuesday Night...

uk_cloudrain_08120300.jpg
    That bit over Dublin looks like the Dublin mountains south into the North Wicklow mountains."if" it was going to fall as snow there,then it would fall as snow right through the range to the south mountains.
    I think the graph is overcooked mind you as regards the midlands and connaught.It might be only high ground there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

index.cgi?action=snow;sess= small bit promising but not reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Metcheck are predicting 'heavy' snow for galway area tuesday night. Hope they are right!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Bit of an upgrade precip wise on the 12z for tonight.
    A few eastern areas could wake up with a dusting of the white stuff tomorro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

scart wrote: »
    Metcheck are predicting 'heavy' snow for galway area tuesday night. Hope they are right!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=galway
    Would love if we did get some proper snow in the city, because it's years since we had a decent shower that stuck/lasted. They usually get a fair bit more in the East of the county than the city (further inland, therefore usually not as mild).

Was freezing last night and this morning here. Footpaths were really icy when I was walking into college this morning - I almost slipped and landed on my arse twice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

metcheck are also forecasting heavy snowfall on tuesday night :) in the mayo area but what are the chances of snowfall on the coast?

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=mayo

metcheck are also forecasting heavy snowfall on tuesday night :) in the mayo area but what are the chances of snowfall on the coast?

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=mayo

not good i'm afraid. i'd say snow would be confined to the mountains in places around the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kippure wrote: »

Is that ice or snow on the 'ground'? Trees look fantastic!

Fantastic shots there. I thought it was snow as well in some of them shots.

Regarding tonights weather, i'm afraid met eireann have downgraded the chances of snow falling at lower levels. They are now saying rain and sleet will spread from the northwest with snow on high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some really amazing charts in FI GFS.

I think we really are in for a cold December. How cold is another matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Is that ice or snow on the 'ground'? Trees look fantastic!

Thats ice build up, no snow at all up there. There,ll be a video later, on net weather and youtube.
    Some of the shots are ...out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

12z brings the precip in much earlier tonight. Possibility of mtn snow in the east early wiwth a mix on lower levels.

As for the threat of precip tomorrow, the 12z has moved it more south and misses the northern half of the country but keeping the majority of us in the cooler air still.

Kippure wrote: »
    Thats ice build up, no snow at all up there. There,ll be a video later, on net weather and youtube.
    Some of the shots are ...out of this world.

At what height does that stuff start at? Im thinking of going up to the Djouce/White Hill area on Wednesday which isnt much lower than Kippure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

At what height does that stuff start at? Im thinking of going up to the Djouce/White Hill area on Wednesday which isnt much lower than Kippure. :)
    Definitely something similar on Djouce, was pretty impressive driving past it this morning on the way back from work. I'd say above about 500 metres you'll meet the good stuff if not lower. There's still massive hoar frost here in the shade.
    Kicking myself for not taking pics on Saturday morning , everything was white, mountains, trees ..really looked like snow but wasn't!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Intersting taf for Dublin Airport issued at 17:00 this eveing :-

EIDW 011700Z 0118/0218 28005KT 9999 SCT020
    TEMPO 0200/0210 4000 SHRASN BKN010 BKN020CB

Basically sleet showers forecast from midnight to 10AM tomorrow morning..I'd take that ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That would be lovely.
    RTE news don't look to hopefull, apart for high ground though.

Supercell wrote: »
    Definitely something similar on Djouce, was pretty impressive driving past it this morning on the way back from work. I'd say above about 500 metres you'll meet the good stuff if not lower. There's still massive hoar frost here in the shade.
    Kicking myself for not taking pics on Saturday morning , everything was white, mountains, trees ..really looked like snow but wasn't!

That sounds great, thanks. Im very tempted now!:D Hopefully therell be something left up there by Wednesday!
    The frost was something else alright. It was so thick on Saturday morning on the grass in the local park that people out walking and jogging had left trails of footprints in it. I missed out on great pics because I found the camera battery dead just as was I keaving home, so know how you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Well on the BBC weather at 6-25 it showed that area of precip tomorrow much further south and a period of snow for central areas of Ireland around 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That front tomorrow night is looking like a serious headache to forecast, lets hope for a push north from the runs later tonight! Can't believe i'm saying that! We've been wishing it south for the last 3 days and it does go south just too much so!!

Tonight is interesting, hard frost setting in now, still ice from last night in the shady spots on the road and grass and cars.

It looks like for Dublin that temps will be 3c during the precip with dewpoints of 1c.

3c/1c Would suggest sleet but turn that dewpoint down a notch and hey presto we've got snow.

It's that close folks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement