Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That front tomorrow night is looking like a serious headache to forecast, lets hope for a push north from the runs later tonight! Can't believe i'm saying that! We've been wishing it south for the last 3 days and it does go south just too much so!!

Tonight is interesting, hard frost setting in now, still ice from last night in the shady spots on the road and grass and cars.

It looks like for Dublin that temps will be 3c during the precip with dewpoints of 1c.

3c/1c Would suggest sleet but turn that dewpoint down a notch and hey presto we've got snow.

It's that close folks!

I think I might have an interesting drive home tomorrow morning after work tonight, gonna bring the camera with me!
    There is a lot of cold air over the country, any heavy precip should drive down the dewpoint, wouldn't be surprised to see wet snow even at low levels tomorrow morning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

That front tomorrow night is looking like a serious headache to forecast, lets hope for a push north from the runs later tonight! Can't believe i'm saying that! We've been wishing it south for the last 3 days and it does go south just too much so!!

Tonight is interesting, hard frost setting in now, still ice from last night in the shady spots on the road and grass and cars.

It looks like for Dublin that temps will be 3c during the precip with dewpoints of 1c.

3c/1c Would suggest sleet but turn that dewpoint down a notch and hey presto we've got snow.

It's that close folks!

Unfortunately it is usually that close... it is funny to see how hard it is for the conditions to be just right for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

I'm not too optimistic for tonight....:cool: But for the near future I am!! Look at GFS: they are showing cold from now well into the 300 hr mark!! It smells like the coldest december of the past few years:D C'mon the snow and the ice and the hail and the sleet:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 raz6

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but what is this GFS that everyone is talking about and where could I view it? Tried Google but not turned up much.... Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

raz6 wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit off topic, but what is this GFS that everyone is talking about and where could I view it? Tried Google but not turned up much.... Cheers.

Read this... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58061227&postcount=170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

NetWeather radar shoing the precipitation over the north as snow inland and sleet nearer the coast. Frost is melting here under increasing cloud cover, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 raz6

Cheers Danno, looks like I have a bit of reading to do!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

theres only a few light patchs of precipitation on the met eireann radar, is that tonights band of precipitation? it looks like a few isolated showers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    theres only a few light patchs of precipitation on the met eireann radar, is that tonights band of precipitation? it looks like a few isolated showers

Band heading into NI now.

Splattering of showers ahead and behind it

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Band heading into NI now.

Splattering of showers ahead and behind it

Yep, and looking at the latest Traffic Scotland road cameras, this band is delivering intense albeit brief snowfall.

I'm not too optimistic about it falling as snow in Ireland though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i just watched the bbc forecast there, if their charts are correct counties like offaly and laois could see some of them white stuff tomorrow night. for tonight it just showed rain falling and it appeared to be patchy- which would be consistent with what they were saying earlier today.

i just watched the bbc forecast there, if their charts are correct counties like offaly and laois could see some of them white stuff tomorrow night. for tonight it just showed rain falling and it appeared to be patchy- which would be consistent with what they were saying earlier today.

Indeed, the latest BBC online graphics show a snow risk much further south and for southern areas tomorrow night.

Anywhere in a diagonal region from Galway to Wexford seems to be at risk of some snowfall.

IMO this is not likely to happen, however at T+24, it is somewhat of an upgrade regarding snow potential for southern areas tomorrow night.

Also note that the local BBC forecast suggests sleet for tomorrow evening and heavy snow for tomorrow night for Kilkenny.

There could be a potential for some snowfall in southern, midland, and southeastern areas tomorrow night.

Although at the moment, my confidence for this is very low.

For tonight, the east may see snow, although it may just be sleety rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowaddict wrote: »
    uk_cloudrain_08120218.jpg

Interesting chart Snowaddict. I notice that Tuam is right inbetween the 2 white blobs. Snowing, all around, except here. Curse of the lowlands strikes again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

I hope your right, i seem to be in a perfect position for some snow tommorrow night

danni2 wrote: »
    I hope your right, i seem to be in a perfect position for some snow tommorrow night

Well as I said, I'm not very optimistic about it at the moment, but I just ran the charts again there and indeed at 9pm the snow band seems to intensify, before clearing off southeaswards. We are now less than 24 hours away from the event, and given that these charts were updated at 8.45pm tonight there must be some conifdence of this happening.

It seems that areas (particularly elevated areas) in counties of Limerick, Clare, Offaly, Meath, Laois, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and possibly Waterford may be at risk of snow tomorrow night at around 9pm approximately.

However, I would be very very surprised if this actually materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Kippure wrote: »
    Thats ice build up, no snow at all up there. There,ll be a video later, on net weather and youtube.
    Some of the shots are ...out of this world.

Great pics K , can you post that youtube link later ,

speaking of ice this morning was the worst mornings in a long time in N Kerry , the roads were lethal esp around Tralee , black ice , a huge number of minor accidents reported from around the area , unfortunately myself included in that statistic ........the Berlingo tried to get friendly with a local drain.........:mad:

The stuff tonight looks like its going to be rain the way things are going.

DP rising as with temp, 1c/1c at the minute.

Small warm sector moving ahead of the front.

We shall see but my hopes are reduced. And seems like we've lost the chance for snow tomorrow too as the darned thing goes to far south!!! Typical really.

Some cold air does come in behind this front moving south and there will be some snow showers after it and tomorrow will be cold but i think rain/sleet tonight will be the order of things at this rate unless we get very very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

metcheck has snow showers for laois startin 3am till 6am.so im gonna do the stakeout and see what happens.first drop of rain tho and i,ll hit the hay

redsunset wrote: »
    metcheck has snow showers for laois startin 3am till 6am.so im gonna do the stakeout and see what happens.first drop of rain tho and i,ll hit the hay

Don't this stuff will start as rain then turn to sleet then turn to snow. Its they way it works because there is much colder air pushing into the back of the front and even some heavy snow showers following it.

ok i,ll see how it goes.was outside there and condition seem perfect for snow.ground is iced and i get that slight warmt before the snow hits.i tell ya im really hopin here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Well as I said, I'm not very optimistic about it at the moment, but I just ran the charts again there and indeed at 9pm the snow band seems to intensify, before clearing off southeaswards. We are now less than 24 hours away from the event, and given that these charts were updated at 8.45pm tonight there must be some conifdence of this happening.

It seems that areas (particularly elevated areas) in counties of Limerick, Clare, Offaly, Meath, Laois, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and possibly Waterford may be at risk of snow tomorrow night at around 9pm approximately.

However, I would be very very surprised if this actually materialised.
    Yeah im not too optimistic either, but we'll get a better picture tomorrow, looks like this will be a nowcast event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

That band of precip looks much heavier on the metoffice radar than the met.ie one.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Hopefully the dew points and temperatures drop when (if) it gets here

CM21 wrote: »
    That band of precip looks much heavier on the metoffice radar than the met.ie one.

yeah i agree.looks like a ball of snow but im waitin to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

CM21 wrote: »

For some reason meteireann always shows precip over NI as being much lighter than it actually is. The NW radar also agrees with what the metoffice is showing. Starnge because they both are using the same radars in belfast, shannon and cork.

Also, for anyone interested NW is showing that band over the north as all sleet.

hope that aint rain coming.seems to be dying away as it slowly moves south east.i've a feeling i could be in for a hugh disappointment but im staying positive.

well folks im here to say that it's feckin raining.goin to go mad.stake out not worth it.temps shot up too high.might turn more wintry but it's a big let down:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Light rain here now. I awoke to the soul sinking sound of rain on rooftop.It wasn't even that distinctive sleety slushy sound either.Just rain,although it is still relatively cold, at 3.2 C.

Next!;)

it's cats and dogs out there.ah looks like we may wait for more promising days cause its just not panning out for us.maybe christmas day will be a whiteout and make up for it:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E forecast for tonight:

Further heavy rain in the south for a time tonight, turning to sleet or possibly snow before clearing. Dry elsewhere apart from coastal showers.

and tomorrow:

Rain or sleet will spread from the west after dark and may be preceded by snow.

hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Reading NET and TWO this morning would lead one to believe our cold is all but over! From what I gather too, it's not just the GFS 00z either - but even after 4 years lurking, I still haven't a clue how to read the charts so relying on what people post.

However, it was great to see frost remaining all day long in my drive over the last couple of days... years since I have seen that.

Why oh why do I get sucked into this dream every winter...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement