Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Be a shock to the system when this cold arrives.
    I expect the north will start seeing sleet tomorrow night as the cold air starts to dig in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Don't think I am going to be snowed out of it here, but I is sure looking forward to some nice frosty cool weather. If the west stays clear we could well see the lowest temperatures away from any snow fields in the east. I am more than happy with the runs lately. Not an ideal easterly by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

CianRyan wrote:

That green area is showing the precip and not the temp right?

The green area is the intensity of the rain using the key at the bottom.

That chart is showing surface SLP, DP and precip (surface low pressure, dewpoint and precip).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A decent cold spell coming our way eh? Suddenly I'm interested in the weather again :D. Just got a stove installed into the shed in time it seems :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nice one, Snowbie.

I'm starting to get to grips with these charts now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cold spell looks set to last from Friday till Thursday of next week.

im not confident of 6 inchs of snow on the ground but I think we will see some sleet/snow shower activity in most areas, some areas will be luckier than others. I would love a rerun of that wonderfull short lived snow we had last winter January 4th I think it was. There will be certainly plenty of severe night time frosts over the coming week and dangerous road conditions most mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Don't think I am going to be snowed out of it here, but I is sure looking forward to some nice frosty cool weather. If the west stays clear we could well see the lowest temperatures away from any snow fields in the east. I am more than happy with the runs lately. Not an ideal easterly by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll do. :)

from met.ie:
    "While the weather will often be dry, showers could occur anywhere or anytime from Friday right through the weekend; with the temperatures so low falls of sleet and snow could well occur. There is a threat of more severe wintry weather later on Sunday or during Monday."

The BBC weather charts seem to be progging the really snowy stuff moving in from the north west on Sunday night. .:cool:

you could be in business yet paddy1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know its still early, but everything seems to be moving in the right direction, or at least looking that way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I don't see myself having any lying snow from this here at the mo, but it'll be nice and chilly and wouldn't be suprised to see a few flakes falling anyway

Just waiting for the 18Z to rollout. Found this thread that Danno started about the last snow event for November. 25th Nov 2005 This was before my time here on boards but remember this cold snap well as i recorded my lowest temp for Nov in that snap but only a slight dusting.

Just something to read while we anticipate upgrades a plenty from the *ahem*18z :)

• Advertisement

There is the change on IR sat in the form of the cold front about 200miles NW of Ireland.

Here

Notice the showers following quickly on behind in the colder airmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

So far, 18z showing snow in NW on Friday evening and rain/sleet in the far southeast (turning to snow for a while between midnight and 6am).
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Also, for saturday itself, the second half of the day brings a good risk of wintry precip for NW/w and for parts of far south/se too but on higher ground it seems

I should add NetWeather puts the % chance of these happening at only ~ 50-60% at best compared to 80-90% for regions in Scotland

Little or no precip for the east coast this weekend so is it a downgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

rc28 wrote: »
    So far, 18z showing snow in NW on Friday evening and rain/sleet in the far southeast (turning to snow for a while between midnight and 6am).
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Also, for saturday itself, the second half of the day brings a good risk of wintry precip for NW/w and for parts of far south/se too but on higher ground it seems

I should add NetWeather puts the % chance of these happening at only ~ 50-60% at best compared to 80-90% for regions in Scotland

Little or no precip for the east coast this weekend so is it a downgrade?

GFS 18Z is a definite downgrade I'm afraid,especially for next week. However,it is only one model, the others are persisting with cold through next week. When I see snow falling from the sky,I'll call it, but not before...:rolleyes:

So far i wouldn say downgrade but slightly up. There is more cold air on this than previous runs tbh and more sub -5C air over the east for a change. The fax charts are very interesting for Friday evening into Saturday morning (still rolling out too) This could be a good snow event on mtns although the precip aint too good in the front.

PPVJ89.png

Monday is still going with cold air now more sourced from the north and with a series of troughs pushing down from the north. North and west most at risk of wintry precip.

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20081126;time=18;ext=114;file=tmp850;sess=76e1d8dfddc5a440a90f7d3ffdb8e6a6;

Looks like an interesting feature pushing down from the NW on Tuesday. Look at dewpoints forecasted as been 0C widely.

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20081126;time=18;ext=138;file=slpdpprecip;sess=76e1d8dfddc5a440a90f7d3ffdb8e6a6;

18Z is very good for cold, where precip will fall is still uncertain and how heavy. Showers more likely for windward coasts but how far west will the fronts over UK reach. Temps will be low and progressively colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sweet looking 18z to arrive home too. Loving it.

The cold spell extents out to 180hrs.

First chance of snow arrives late Friday as heavy precip moves up the east coast and it's cold too.

This would provide snow away from the southeast coast IMO during Saturday morning.

Rtavn604.png

Rtavn6017.png

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowbie wrote: »
    Monday is still going with cold air now more sourced from the north and with a series of troughs pushing down from the north. North and west most at risk of wintry precip.

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20081126;time=18;ext=114;file=tmp850;sess=76e1d8dfddc5a440a90f7d3ffdb8e6a6;

Looks like an interesting feature pushing down from the NW on Tuesday. Look at dewpoints forecasted as been 0C widely.

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20081126;time=18;ext=138;file=slpdpprecip;sess=76e1d8dfddc5a440a90f7d3ffdb8e6a6;

18Z is very good for cold, where precip will fall is still uncertain and how heavy. Showers more likely for windward coasts but how far west will the fronts over UK reach. Temps will be low and progressively colder.

when you say an interesting feature, are you talking about a possible polar low on Tuesday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Is there any chance of that precip move inland during late friday/early saturday or is it only going to effect the east coast. I really want snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What sort of weather are we realistically looking at around Dublin? Anyone care to proffer an opinion ?

@nacho, no not a PL but the warm sector around the core slips over Kerry with everywhere north of that still in the cold air. Before that yourself and DE look good for showers pushing down over your areas.

NB: Cold air being marginal on Tuesday for low lying area's and coastal of west but progged this far out could all change in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just got home now too. Well, well, looks like all the excitement has started!

This is the best GFS 9 day panel I've seen in a long time:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

A good chance of snow in low lying areas at some point over the next week. Lug should get another pasting - wonder what the snow depth will be there after a week of this?

BTW - I'm at 250M - the 250M line goes right through my house on the ordanance survey map. Google maps says 255M.

Here's hoping for some exciting weather!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

These charts are getting spicey now. Pressure will be low enough to keep the precip going with the added oomph from the mild Irish Sea. Hopefully the welsh mountains will not kill the convection, like they didn't kill the few imports during the summer thunder storms.

shamwari wrote: »
    What sort of weather are we realistically looking at around Dublin? Anyone care to proffer an opinion ?
    In Rush? Similar situation to where i live being close to the coast.

Look at my forecast model.

http://www.irlweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

It autoruns after the GFS updates as i use that data. It takes into account, upwind sites METAR and buoy data, proximity for the coast, winds off the sea, height, urban heat island and uses the sataion data from my own weather station to forecast for around this area. When an event gets closer in time, i manually run the forecast to get an accurate forecast by inputting my own set of rules and assumptions basically a nowcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This is what I am looking for:
    18_276_mslp850.png

I would take that over snow anyday. Rock solid hazy dry cold with a soul cutting wind. Absolutely perfect. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Any chance of snow in Tralee?
    Very rare do we get snow.

Interesting charts.
    Fascinating in fact!

Now which of ye is snow addict ... over on two?

Own up :D

Interesting charts.
    Fascinating in fact!

Now which of ye is snow addict ... over on two?

Own up :D
    Does he own a weather station?:pac:

Edit: Don't seem a friendly bunch over there and are a tad harsh on the Irish posters:(

Ah it's just the dry english humour plus they're annoyed with the lad for the relentless barrage of the same stuff..
    I wish they'd just pm him though rather than saying that in public because the lad is enthusiastic and just is overdoing it.

It's unfair to burst his bubble in that way.

Ah it's just the dry english humour plus they're annoyed with the lad for the relentless barrage of the same stuff..
    I wish they'd just pm him though rather than saying that in public because the lad is enthusiastic and just is overdoing it.

Agreed, not nice to see that happen though. Read a few pages of it. I don't post on there or even lurk so if any other Irish post over there point them in this direction, if they can't take the hassle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Spot on BB. There are plenty of 'em over on TWO who'll use the forum to vent against other posters opinions. Plenty of supporters too btw.:)
    A bit of diplomacy goes a long way,it doesn't bother me, I'll stand my ground regardless.

Back on topic, Met Eireanns forecast this morning wasn't inspiring for snow lovers IMO. Cold yes,snowy unlikely short term,but who knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement