Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There was some snow on the back edge of this at least - Just back in the door after work and could see on the way that all the mountains had thin coverage of snow at the bases and more closer to the top, the higher peaks as usual were shrouded in cloud.
    My own roadway remains frozen and has a covering of pure ice, its utterly totally lethal.
    If anyone here is thinking of taking a spin around the mountains - be bloody careful off the main roads!!, there's black ice everywhere.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Rain cleared to clearer weather, and a frost has set in again on the ground,I'd say black ice is a big problem on rural roads this morning. The places that remained frozen since Saturday (where the sun didn't get too) are still frozen and hard despite the bit of rain.

I'd say the chances of snow for low lying places for the next couple of days is relatively low, Met E. are throwing in the rain sleet and possibly snow mix to cover the bases. Its certainly going to be below average on temperatures anyway. We'll see and hope for a few flurries at least :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The Hill between glencree and sallys gap coming from glencree is blocked by ice and snow.

A tour bus is stuck half way up and a van is in the ditch beside it. Avoid the Area completely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone know if that precip band will reach the east coast? Currently 2.5c here. Probably a bit warm for snow if it does.

BTW, the mountains around here are covered in the white stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

To be honest Artictree, I'd say if it was too warm last night, it's definitely too warm today. I'm not expecting any snow at this stage. you might be lucky with your location but I think the rest of us can enjoy a few early nights and hope that tomorrow's storm and rain will kick things off again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

squonk wrote: »
    To be honest Artictree, I'd say if it was too warm last night, it's definitely too warm today. I'm not expecting any snow at this stage. you might be lucky with your location but I think the rest of us can enjoy a few early nights and hope that tomorrow's storm and rain will kick things off again!

Not true, upper air 850hpa temps are -6/-7c atm and were more like -3c last night, if it reaches the wickla mountains it should be snow, could well reach there in the next few hours but that would be its northern extent.

Disappointing really, if it would have just budged a 100miles further north!

Speaking of which we have the cloud overhang from this at the moment.
    You could poke the rain out of the sky with a stick but it's dry.

Interestingly the hard ice in the yard is still there although somewhat melted.It goes to show how cold the ground got.

Wish I could tell you the dewpoint but my aws is out of action for the moment.
    Might get it going again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Temp down to 2.1c here. Sky looking menacing. I wonder if that band will reach here - its very close!

Have to drive to Dublin and back later.......

Looks like it's going to be icy tonight with temperatures dipping down to -3c towards morning and temperatures not rising much above 0c during tomorrow in the midlands and east.

And a horrid night tomorrow night with strong southwesterly winds, lashing rain and temperatures of 1-2c :(

Looks like as per usual the fun and games have been left for those in northern areas of England and Scotland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

• Advertisement

Dewpoint here is 0.1°C and falling, in fact conditions are very similar to the October snow right now here. I think theres a fair chance of some snow here, at least for awhile.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Looks like it's going to be icy tonight with temperatures dipping down to -3c towards morning and temperatures not rising much above 0c during tomorrow in the midlands and east.

Lovely! :D Im going snow hunting!:cool:
    The light winds tomorrow will certainly make the cold difficult to shift again. Lets hope the sky clears early enough in the night to let those temps drop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I know once the frost started to melt rapidly after 10pm last night that there wasnt a chance of snow, the system fell as rain here and woke up at 8am and there wasnt even a frost. Today is quite cold and chilly and expecting a little frost tonight. Think we'll have to wait for the next major cold spell for some snow hopefully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Dewpoint here is 0.1°C and falling, in fact conditions are very similar to the October snow right now here. I think theres a fair chance of some snow here, at least for awhile.

Not holding out hope for anything here but temperature and dewpoints are falling slowly here too. +3.4c with DP of +1.1c. Pressure also dropping.

There was some snow last night on the Dublin Mountains (very slight - looked like slushy stuff).

Now there is a small liklyhood of this but i'll keep an eye on it for you anyway, chance of perhaps a small sprinkling of surprise whitestuff overnight from a small trough moving south very slowly, upper air temperatures and surface temperatures should support snowfall from it if it were to precipitate overnight.

Chance: 30%

riskareaww0.gif

Your reaching a little there WC I fear!

Your reaching a little there WC I fear!

:eek:

Interesting BBC forecast showed that front tomorrow falling as snow over NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chalkie

Now there is a small liklyhood of this but i'll keep an eye on it for you anyway, chance of perhaps a small sprinkling of surprise whitestuff overnight from a small trough moving south very slowly, upper air temperatures and surface temperatures should support snowfall from it if it were to precipitate overnight.

Chance: 30%

riskareaww0.gif

Hi WC.

I admire your optimism as ever but I personally think your 30% risk (50% on chart?) is about...20% too high?

If the front does stretch this direction overnight then it may well give some snow on hills.

I'd stick more with the Met Eireann forecast with possibility of patch rain or sleet. I really can't see enough precipitation to quantify the 2cm - 5cm???

If only...but we live in hope!

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Light spit of rain this afternoon in Portlaoise and the same all the way home, a heavier burst south of Abbeyleix brought a bit of sleet, so the potential is there... that stuff down over Tipp looks menacing, if it can stay there to allow 2 hours more of cooling here then I'll be hopefully set up for snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Rte forecast not too optimistic about snow.

Don't think I even heard John mention the word snow.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Rte forecast not too optimistic about snow.

Don't think I even heard John mention the word snow.

Looking at the IR satellite loop it seems that this precip is sliding away south, just a regular frosty night I think tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Its lashing rain here for the last hour. If only it was a bit colder then it would have been epic. Typical Ireland!

dedon wrote: »
    Its lashing rain here for the last hour. If only it was a bit colder then it would have been epic. Typical Ireland!

I've got a subzero dewpoint, frozen ground and a falling air temp despite cloudy skies...
    To say I'm frustrated at the lack of progress of this precip east is an understatement!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really wouldn't be getting too excited - Belfast Aldergrove is reporting 0c (DP also 0c) and light rain........how frustrating can that be! :o

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really wouldn't be getting too excited - Belfast Aldergrove is reporting 0c (DP also 0c) and light rain........how frustrating can that be! :o

Lol, that would be pretty frustraiting alright..but could be a dp of 0.3°C I suppose which probably wouldn't even give sleet, would be pretty bonkers inducing though !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ive givin up hope on this one tbh.

Roll on the next cold snap with lower temperatures and loads of precip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah i think this one is dead for now, however we did well in other areas such as an ice day on saturday and frosty conditions generally over a 4 to 5 day period. Some recent winters we cudnt even manage that over an entire winter. We got all of december, january, february and maybe some of march to look forward to for potential snowfalls so lots of time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Lol, that would be pretty frustraiting alright..but could be a dp of 0.3°C I suppose which probably wouldn't even give sleet, would be pretty bonkers inducing though !
    With an air temp above 0.3C also. Dp can never be higher than air temp, only where there is no Dp depression (when air temp and Dp are equal) usually indicates fog.

I really would love to see METAR and Synop site's for temp to be in decimal.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    really would love to see METAR and Synop site's for temp to be in decimal.

It would still drive you mad not matter how many decimals!

We're just lucky those conditions didn't happen over a certain area somewhere between Baldoyle and Malahide....we'd be dealing with a very upset person! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement