Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ah well no snow surprise surprise
    The rampers from the pro's / realists certainly evident:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well no snow here today just had spots of light rain earlier, so any chance of snow tomorrow as that rain band hits the cold air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'd always be cautious about ramping snow events in late November and early December anyway rather than Jan-Feb. Nothing doing here today save early rain and a few spits of it late on. Mr Eagleton was grinning like the chesire cat on RTE this evening as he announced next weekend looked cold but not as cold as the last weekend.
    Between now and then,slight risk here of something tomorrow snow wise, but I won't be putting a cent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I suppose, we usually get snow when we least expect it. With two out of three possible events so far in this spell gone breasts vertical, tomorrow could be the surprise. The majority of the country will be bitterly cold tomorrow with widespread maximum temperatures ranging from 1c to 4c. That front if it can hold west of Galway City until after dark then we could possibly see some transient snow. Further north could see more prolonged snow as the warm sector is progged to track SE wards from Tralee to Youghal... who knows? Tomorrow evening could pay out yet! //always the optimistic// :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MSN weather is saying snow for Tallaght at 9pm tomorrow.
    75% chance, looks pretty good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

danni2 wrote: »
    Well no snow here today just had spots of light rain earlier, so any chance of snow tomorrow as that rain band hits the cold air?

There's more chance of Supercell winning the weather league than any of us at lower levels seeing snow tomorrow.

It looks like many parts of the north of England will wake up to a winter wonderland out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Whoooay, a bhoy Nacho! :P The race for the title certainly heats up, just as the weather cools down!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ah well no snow surprise surprise

A couple of guys reputation in tatters here tonight.
    The rampers from the pro's / realists certainly evident:cool:

Was that really necessary?:confused:
    Out of interest, did you attempt to make a forecast? Hindsight is a great thing but you must remember that no one on here claims they're meteorologists and you don't have to believe what some randomer forecasts on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Major blizzards above 150 m today up North really frustrating.

All day all you saw was a major whiteout with every shower.

The hills above me by 150m at least has major snow -But what good is that unless we all take up skiing lol!

Grr hills are plastered with snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    I suppose, we usually get snow when we least expect it. With two out of three possible events so far in this spell gone breasts vertical, tomorrow could be the surprise. The majority of the country will be bitterly cold tomorrow with widespread maximum temperatures ranging from 1c to 4c. That front if it can hold west of Galway City until after dark then we could possibly see some transient snow. Further north could see more prolonged snow as the warm sector is progged to track SE wards from Tralee to Youghal... who knows? Tomorrow evening could pay out yet! //always the optimistic// :D

I was thinking the same thing more or less when I was watching "the eagles" forecast on TV earlier. Max temps in the east of only 3 or 4 degress before an active front moves in as temps fall in the evening. Just might be worth watching anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000663gv9.jpg

That when the blizzard moved in around 3pm. Not jokin 50 m up fallin as snow down on coastt sleety rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wonder what tonight will bring.

MetO going for snow for east NI

ni_weather_20081203_021.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

These kind of things are total nowcasts, maybe snow in Northern ireland and on highest peaks in the mountains, I cant see any settling snow even here to be honest, 850's look far to high..then again if it tracks further south like last nights non event, it could be a bonanza.
    Nowcast, anything else is too tough to call I reckon (for southern Ireland)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well according to Met Eireann, there could be a transient snow event tonight.:
    Becoming wet and windy this evening or early tonight as persistent heavy rain spreads from the west, in a strengthening southerly wind. This will be preceded by some sleet or snow, mainly affecting Ulster and north Leinster, but will be short lived. Becoming a little milder during the night, with rain clearing to showers. Lowest temperatures -1 degrees, across some eastern areas for a time early on, but generally around 3 to 5.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Eastern and Northern areas at highest risk due to the frost early on in the night.

The UKMO have a severe warning out for Wales as this front arrives:
    There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of Wales, the Midlands and northern England. Snow spreading from the west on Wednesday night is likely to become persistent and heavy at times into Thursday morning, especially on hills, and potentially to some lower levels. There may be temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places, with some drifting likely over higher ground in strong winds. In addition, rain, sleet and snow falling onto frozen ground may lead to locally icy conditions. The snow, turning to rain at lower levels, will have cleared away eastwards by Thursday afternoon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

how come these systems always fall as rain in Ireland and then magically turn to snow as soon as they hit the UK and sometimes Northern Ireland even when the temperatures in Ireland and UK are very similar.? Its very annoying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

For the UK:
    Snow forecast for much of Britain

Parts of northern Britain could see snowfalls of 20cm (7.8in), weather forecasters are warning.

Blizzards are expected across most of Scotland, northern England and the north Midlands on Wednesday night and into Thursday morning.

In London, the south east, the south west and south Wales, heavy rain is forecast to fall, but it could turn to ice in places it falls on cold ground.
    Met Office experts said rush-hour driving on Thursday would be difficult.
    A spokesman said: "We had weather warnings out this morning and it was an icy start for most of the UK.

Strong winds

"There is likely to be sun in the afternoon, but then in the evening temperatures will drop away and there is a weather system that will move in from the Atlantic.

"That will lead to snow in Northern Ireland, although it will turn back to rain after a couple of hours.

"The main risk is for falls of snow across the north Midlands, northern England and Scotland."

The spokesman added: "On higher ground we could see up to 20cm and lower down and in more populated areas 2cm to 5cm is likely [1in to 2in].
    "There may be a dusting for inland Wales and parts of the Midlands."
    The snow is expected to be accompanied by strong winds, which means there is a real risk of blizzards and drifting.

The spokesman said snow showers might be seen in Oxfordshire and the northern Home Counties, although it was unlikely to lie because it would turn to rain later.

Across London, the south east, the south west and areas to the south of the M4 motorway, heavy rain is forecast. Where it falls on cold ground there is a risk of icy patches, and difficult driving conditions.

The Met Office spokesman said Thursday morning's rush hour would be difficult, but that much of the snow in England would be gone by lunchtime, although it is tipped to linger longer in Scotland.

On Tuesday, about 200 schools in the north-west of England were closed because of 2.5cm (1in) of snow causing poor driving conditions.

'White Christmas'

In Scotland, the emergency services urged motorists to take care as heavy snow hit northern areas, and there was black ice on roads across the country.

Meanwhile, bookmakers have cut the odds on a white Christmas in the wake of the snow already seen and the further falls forecast.
    Ladbrokes has cut the odds on a white Christmas in London to 11/4 from 3/1 following another run of money.

The bookmaker was originally offering 7/1 for snow on 25 December in the capital.

Glasgow is 2/1 to see snow, from an opening quote of 8/1. Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester are at 4/1.

A Ladbrokes spokesman said: "We're frozen with fear at the prospect of a white Christmas. Interest in the traditional festive wager has gone into overdrive this year."

What a stonking forecast there from the BBC for the UK tonight and tomorrow :(

So amazing, 20cm's in places.

On the up side he mentioned snow across NI and still some on the ground on Thursday morning affecting driving etc.

Look at this weak Weather Warning! Why would they put out a weather warning for this!
    Issued at 03 December 2008 - 12:00
    Weather Advisory
    A short spell of wet snow or sleet is likely for a time this evening or early tonight but will be short lived and followed by rain. Ulster and north Leinster most at risk.

Valid from 1800 to 2400 on 3/12/08.

Gonzo wrote: »
    how come these systems always fall as rain in Ireland and then magically turn to snow as soon as they hit the UK and sometimes Northern Ireland even when the temperatures in Ireland and UK are very similar.? Its very annoying!

I reckon it might be to do with a small "continental effect" that the UK would experience in situations like this. Being a slightly bigger landmass and sheltered to an extent by Ireland from the dampening effects of the near Atlantic. My own theory is that as moist air travels across Ireland it dries out to a certain extent by the time it reaches UK, so temperature would likely to drop a bit quicker at night over there ahead of an active which would contain cool downdrafts anyway, so a combination of both I think would allow snow to reach lower levels in Blight. I am very open to have this corrected though, as it really is just a personal theory. :)

Look at this weak Weather Warning! Why would they put out a weather warning for this!

LOL! I am not sure of your point WC. Should they or shouldn't they have? Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

exactly. they are right to cover themselves.
    i'd say you are right about why England gets snow out of these situations and we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

DE is right and also Ireland is surrounded from large bodies of warm water and ahead of this front the air is WAA or warm air advection from the south and over a large body of warm water. So this puts warm air to the midlevels and effectively pushes the cold away to our north to be replaced by milder air.

To the south of the UK is France and air is dryer, cooler so Dp be lower than here even though the temp could be near the same when the front arrives here when it does over there. Winds in both Irl and UK will be from the south.

So landmass, air and large bodies of water kill our frontal snow 9/10 times as we have lack of or too much of one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

LOL! I am not sure of your point WC. Should they or shouldn't they have? Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

I think the point is, we've had many of these situations in years past, with somewhat milder air coming up against colder air, why should ME issue a weather warning now? They rarely if ever do previously. Unless they are covering themselves against what they see as a possibility of it lasting longer than they initially forecast and covering themselves against that possibility....one can almost hear someone like Gerry Ryan pontificating that he wasn't warned blah blah tomorrow morning when he gets caught up in the snow. Not that I think that will happen,although the temperature has barely climbed above freezing all day here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think in the past they should have done and have been criticised for not giving a warning.
    Ground is frozen, slush on top of that will make conditions absolutely chaotic.
    At least tday's rush hour won't be affected, though there may be leftovers to deal with in places in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I like to read this weather forum but I really don't have a clue about it

my contribution

I drove from Coolock to Lucan this morning(dublin)
    -2 all the way, Lunch hour temp up to 1 degrees and now 15:19 down to 0 degrees.
    Frost and ice never cleared up so I reckon there is an icey night in store for Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see current temps. at Valentia and Belmullet are 8c and 7c - if those sort of 'conditions' are pushed across the country by the front - sfa!

Current temps in the midlands and east are encouraging :o *
    Mullingar 0c
    Oak Park 0c
    Birr 1c
    Ballyhaise 1c
    Knock 1c

Temps are rising here but DP is falling. :o * Its just a pity it clouded over here so early :mad:

* very large grasp for straws!

Interesting the UK MetOffice has now produced a warning for NI which it had no warning for since now, must be some slighly better 12z UKM data in the offing.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html
    Snow is likely for a time across Northern Ireland this evening and overnight. Up to 5cm may accumulate, especially on higher level roads. Some travel disruption is possible.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1507 Wed 3 Dec

Just to mention, precipitation is projected to reach Dublin by 2200hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ladbrokes have slashed the odds of a white Christmas to 3/1:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Interesting weather here in tipp. just dropped back to 0c from a max of 2 earlier- ice still in shaded areas and cloud cover increasing. temps will probly start to rise soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement