Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dublin AP reporting light snow at 2000 - anybody know anything about that!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I have to laugh at this the 2000hr report for Dublin Airport is:

Light Snow 3c/0c

What a joke, whats that about?

Snow falling in Belfast per NetWeather.

I'm gonna just have to move :D:pac:

Indeed and heres a webcam

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/madgav/1/show.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp 4.8C Steady
    Dp 1.3C, up as expected
    Rh 78%, up

I don't get excited from these conditions as explained below but the snow divil keeps at me on my shoulder and gives me false hope, bad divil.
    Looked good as always but maybe in Jan or Feb, the midlands at least would get lying snow and the highlanders take days off work and drink beer but eventually Atlantic wins back.

This whole cold snap never had Arctic air directly sourced over us. I can give examples of Dp from the whole weekend when by day the Dp where above freezing point. This is useless, In April this year we had -6C Dp over us and chilly Arctic air but Sun is stronger then so instability is generated widely at the surface and lots of single cell CB's and isolated storms.
    More moisture leads to fog and in the still air the fog was in abundance on Sat 29th and freezing fog in most places. Some low temps by day and night due to cold air, weak sun, radiating cooling at night and freezing fog by day.

The air (over the last week) was cold RPM or returning polar maritime where the wind moves down over the Atlantic from polar regions and returns in over us, thus picking up moisture at most levels. The air was still, due to being under the influence of a broad LP too much West of where we would have likened it to be, more to the east and air would have dragged down an 'Arctic blast'. GFS picked up on this well pre cold snap but edged it towards us in later runs but not close enough.

As per usual frontal snow does not materialise here even when conditions where very good(surface temps) but not exceptional(mid level to upp air temps), high ground and more NI regions can do well. As myself and Deep Easterly mentioned earlier, the warm air advection from southern regions 9/10 wins out. Southern regions being the warm bodied waters of Atlantic where the air is moist but modified in temperature in the mid levels extending to ground level soon after by the Atlantic.

Frontal snow like the 1982 event when the air is more european sourced is the only time the east at lower regions seems to fare best when the air is less modified over water as there is more landmass than water on it's travels.

Give me an ENE wind veering to the SE as an Atlantic front moves in and it will be a different story. Continental temps obviously have to be seriously low first.
    You can go to NetWeather and check out how a continental source wind (in this case France with a S'ly wind) keeps the Dp lower and air temp being less modified than it's close neighbour that juts to much out in the Atlantic (neighbour being us)
    If you find you get upset easily by snow not falling from this front in your part of the world, i suggest you give NetWeather a miss.:D

I have to laugh at this the 2000hr report for Dublin Airport is:

Light Snow 3c/0c

What a joke, whats that about?
    Hmmmm

http://www.liveworldwebcam.net/webcam/Ireland/660/Dublin/M50+-+South+of+Tollbridge.html

• Advertisement

Sleety rain here now.
    Theres actually a few flakes in it! so I'm heading for the 1000ft mark.
    I'm not going any higher as the road is likely to be total ice up there considering the ice hasnt melted in this yard yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pretty abysmal ECM run tonight. Charts look like a rinse repeat of mid November, with cooler air always staying to the near east. Only chart of interest (relatively speaking) is at 240hrs:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Recm2401.gif

Maybe a prelude to an artic blast?

Not even a decent winter storm in sight. That High pressure has a lot to account for.

EDIT. Good summary Snowbie. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what a shame this came so close to being snow but as said above 9/10 times it rains and Ireland and snows in the UK & Northern Ireland, you'd swear the snow had something aginst the Irish Republic!. Heavy sleet here, 3C

Just back from a drive there.Wet snow is indeed falling at 1000ft asl but it's a very rainy wet snow and not sticking.
    I couldnt get onto the mountain road as the gate was locked :(

Very doubtfull for snow now up with artictree and supercell given that I had to go to exactly 1000ft asl over the road here-below thatit was total rain/sleet.
    Temp changed on the jeep from +3c here to +1c above.

You would have been better off going up there before the precip arrived BB to see some proper'ish flakes. It's good you can do that so close to you anyway if all else fails at lower levels. Although Wickla mtns is not far from here, the east and west links are generally slow to get through.

Howth is just not high enough and is surrounded by a sauna.
    Good God, i'm doomed. I'm in the midlands compared to WC though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Drove from Portlaoise to Urlingford tonight and temperatures were 1c the whole way until Cullohill. Bang, in the space of 1 mile they jumped to 4c and the rain started. On the return home, the rain had pushed in over home and turned to sleet for 30 minutes with temperatures climbing from 2c to 3c here. The 4c air has just arrived here now with moderate rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I couldn't take letting this cold snap pass without seeing a few flakes, so I took a drive up the Dublin mountains about an hour ago to have a peek. Heavy wet snow at about 480m asl. Looked amazing in my headlights, horizontal blizzard! Temp went down to 1c on my car's thermo.

I suppose I'm lucky to live so close to the hills. At least I caught a glimpse of things to come this winter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looks like snow ain't on Dublin's list of weather this week :mad:

On a more positive note, having visited the Pregnancy forum recently I notice that Snowbie is expecting a Snowbie junior any day now (the 5th Snowbie junior I believe), and I wish him and his missus (and the new arrival) all the best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Best of luck Storkey Snowbie with the new arrival - great excuse [at this time of year ]now to get up at night to make the bottle and have a quick lamp post view also! :D :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is a light rain shower here at the moment, no sign of snow.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Raining in south Dublin :(

All that cold weather was just teasing us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Looks like a heavier band coming across the country now... maybe this will turn to snow now its later on in the evening...

Then again I wouldn't know as half as much as you guys on here...

Fingers crossed anyway..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a chance of it turning to snow, temps are now 4-6C widely and hitting 10C in parts of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

this was at 9.30 this evening in the sally gap at lough tay,the jeep thermo read 0 degrees and it was falling heavy but it was up to 4 degrees and raining back down on the n11
    _MG_0060.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At least after 700 odd posts we have a photo of snow falling - a result? :rolleyes: TBH, not dissapointed at all, as I was not expecting anything for my location (but the 'chase'/anticipation of something always entertains).

Excuse the pun, but some cold comfort can be taken by the fact the 'event' is/was not near as widespread across the UK as had been anticipated - did a quick trwal on NOAA of some of the major cities (Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh) and they had reported no snow at all. Snow seems to be confined to the central spine/Penines and north east of UK. As with here, dewpoinsts!

As I said, at least its early December rather than March! Roll on the next cold spell.

• Advertisement

I had a quick peak at NW and saw a few pics of the snow around Yorkshire. 6 to 8 inches in places.

As Doc said above after 700 posts just a couple of pics of snow and mainly on higher ground. What if snow did fall to lower levels, i'd say several threads would have been created and the place will be in meltdown. This cold spell be remembered for it's low temps by day and night and so early in the season.

Anyway, the next cold spell from GFS is a N'ly prog for Friday week but in FI.

Deep Easterly has created a new thread for model outputs.
    Be locking this thread shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes. roll on the next cold spell thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think we can safely say that the cold spell oficially ended in the rain last night!
    Locking this now, its been a fun ride!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    its been a fun ride!

In the cold, cold rain..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement