Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watchin premiership games in dundalk?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

tell me this, which is the best pub to visit for premiership game at the weekend? last time i ventured into town to watch the chelsea newcastel game i wandered into "gormleys" pub. nice, warm, gud size telly, but very quiet.
    (oh and possibley chelsea fan friendly could help!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Depends on what you are used to really. Parkes has a few big screens but is very hotel bar like unsurprisingly. The bar McMahons on the corner across the road from Gormleys has a rep as being a football spot although I have never enjoyed a pint in it yet after trying it on and off for years! I usually head up town for the Sat evening match and its Parkes, McKeowns on Clanbrassil Street or the Phoenix that I would go to. Phoenix has small televisions but early its great to get a bar seat and settled in. McKeowns has the big screen projector jobby and is a Liverpool spot. Can't tell you of anywhere thats really Chelsea fans though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

It all depends on who you support. McKeowns is a great spot if you are a Liverpool supporter. Dessie Corbetts is a good spot too, it gets a mix of Liverpool and Man Ure supporters, usually good banter. I thought you had to wear a Tyrone top to get into Gormleys. Try various pubs around town until you find one you like, but it does really depend on who you follow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Courtneys is normally decent for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kennedy's opens this week. Could be worth checking out. Pretty sure they'll have a few big screens inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pighead wrote: »
    Kennedy's opens this week. Could be worth checking out. Pretty sure they'll have a few big screens inside.

Where's that?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Where's that?
    Where Loughrans/The Railway Bar used to be, on the Carrick Rd. McGeoughs bought it last year, gutted it and done it all up. Called Kennedy's now.

Is it a sports bar or a 'Windsor/McGeoghs' type establishment?

Is it a sports bar or a 'Windsor/McGeoghs' type establishment?
    I'd imagine it'll be a a mixture of both. It'll be better than McGeoughs anyway as they only have the one crappy telly down the back. Terrible pub to watch a game in. Nice food though in fairness!

Yeah, the foods normally very decent in either the Windsor or McGeoghs, crap for sports in both though. I'll have to check out Kennedy's whne it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

cheers for the reply guys, ill head in early enough so on sunday and try figure out where the hell some of these pubs are located!
    im a chelsea man(pre russian revoultion!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

papagormo wrote: »
    cheers for the reply guys, ill head in early enough so on sunday and try figure out where the hell some of these pubs are located!
    im a chelsea man(pre russian revoultion!)

I know some Chelsea fans that drink in Gormleys and Courtneys for the fitba, so you weren't too far wrong.

I'm a fan of Corbetts myself, but don't expect to see a pile of Chelski fans round there..

On the new pub Kennedy's, when it was bought the intention was for it to be more of a 'drinkers' pub and leave the Windsor and McGeoghs for grub. Don't know if that is still their plan.

ibh wrote: »
    On the new pub Kennedy's, when it was bought the intention was for it to be more of a 'drinkers' pub and leave the Windsor and McGeoghs for grub. Don't know if that is still their plan.
    They are just doing bar food (ala McGeoughs) to start off with but they have space upstairs for a restaurant which they may or may not open within the next year depending on how they're getting on. Could be bad news for the Jockeys re food. I'd imagine they'll lose a few customers.

Pighead wrote: »
    They are just doing bar food (ala McGeoughs) to start off with but they have space upstairs for a restaurant which they may or may not open within the next year depending on how they're getting on. Could be bad news for the Jockeys re food. I'd imagine they'll lose a few customers.

Yeah, bad news for them indeed. I think they'd only started doing evening food too, don't know how that's been going for them though. The Left Bank is next on my hit list, it's beside/over Courtneys. I've heard some good reports. It's the people who owned the Cube that are running it so it should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

ibh wrote: »
    On the new pub Kennedy's, when it was bought the intention was for it to be more of a 'drinkers' pub and leave the Windsor and McGeoughs for grub.

I certainly hope so from an Oriel Park POV for next season! Loughys always did a good trade over the years, I hope that it goes well for them.

I certainly hope so from an Oriel Park POV for next season! Loughys always did a good trade over the years, I hope that it goes well for them.
    Loughys only did well if the crowd got in before Pat heard them coming! If he heard a big gang coming down the road from Oriel he would often shut the doors for fear of getting too busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I missed my train back to college on a couple of Sunday evenings from sitting in Loughrans having a few scoops before heading back.

There are a fair few guys who drink in the Windsor, Peadars, Wee House and the Jockeys. Kennedys is another obvious haunt for people drinking this end of town.

Never liked drinking in the Windsor myself. Not much of an atmosphere unless you hang out right up the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

wee house is a nice pub to sit back and relax while watching the game. A lot more nicer people working there than most pubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Courtneys usually has a crowd in for the bigger games. Liverpool and Utd too pull a fair few in at the weekends. Big projector down the back and small screen at the top bar. Always a few Chelsea heads about. Mostly old school, think they used to have the Chelsea supporters club meetings there (until they got sick of been ridiculed!!!! Pre Roman domination :) )

McKeons is a good spot for a nice pint and watchin a Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

cargo wrote: »
    Courtneys usually has a crowd in for the bigger games. Liverpool and Utd too pull a fair few in at the weekends. Big projector down the back and small screen at the top bar. Always a few Chelsea heads about. Mostly old school, think they used to have the Chelsea supporters club meetings there (until they got sick of been ridiculed!!!! Pre Roman domination :) )

McKeons is a good spot for a nice pint and watchin a Liverpool game.

cheers, might head on into courtneys and watch the manchester derby,then the chelsea arsenal game

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Yeah, bad news for them indeed. I think they'd only started doing evening food too, don't know how that's been going for them though. The Left Bank is next on my hit list, it's beside/over Courtneys. I've heard some good reports. It's the people who owned the Cube that are running it so it should be good.

Heading there over xmas with the folks, let me know how you get on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Have to say that McCourts in Francis Street/top of Earl Street is a cracking place to watch a game. They've about six or seven good sized tvs throughout so no matter where you sit you have a decent view and the drink isn't bad too. there's usually a good crowd in it as well so, naturally, the banter gets going. Also depending if you're bothered or not they will serve you a bowl of soup and a sandwich if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickdlk

Courtney's, The wee house and Mc Keowns all good pubs in town.

O Connolls down the Quay is a good spot also.
    The Malt House is also good, especially in the Den, about 6 TV's in there

Advertisement