Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pubs with "sales" on.

• 26-11-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

Most of my regular pubs are getting surprisingly empty, and some places in town are still just upping the price. Have any pubs copped on and thought of dropping prices yet? Getting the place full of pleased customers rather than a bunch of pissed off punters being ripped off.

Are any pubs activelt advertising sales? rather than hiding their legally required ridiculous pricelist behind a burly bouncer or behind a door.

When abroad in resorts or just in cities you often see big signs in the windows and sandwich boards outside advertising the fact they have cheap drink. Even in my area a chinese takeaway have a big "€1 off all standard meals" sign in the window.

With the economy going downhill and drink in offies getting cheaper all the time these pubs must be screwed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Specials like "happy hour" are banned by law now afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I must say that Galway pubs seems as full as usual, could be that we're small and have lots of students/tourists. A lot of people seem to start drinking at home first these days though. 3 or 4 before heading down town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

micmclo wrote: »
    Specials like "happy hour" are banned by law now afaik

The law states drink cannot be decreased in price during the day. Many places still up the price, a lad was saying he paid €5 cover charge into Dicey Rileys and then was charged €6.20 for a bottle of bud! which is €10.67 a pint :eek:

There is nothing to stop them opening at say 5, and having a low price and raising it at 7 or 8. In effect they can still have a happy hour, just the price must never go down upon opening.

Many pubs now have "happy days" which is another way around this, usually mondays or tuesdays.

Another loophole is to simply have a particular brand of beer or vodka at a low price. But mysteriously be out of stock of it all day, until 5 arrives, then run out at 6 or 7 ;)

20.—(1) A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day.

(2) In subsection (1), "reduced price" means a price less than that regularly being charged for the intoxicating liquor during an earlier period after 10.30 a.m. (12.30 p.m. on a Sunday) on the day concerned.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence under this section and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding—

(a) for a first offence, €1,500, or
    (b) for a second or any subsequent offence, €2,000.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0031/sec0020.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Pub in cork (The brog or something like that) sells pints for €2.90 every day until 9. They then revert to 'normal' pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

liz delaneys in coolock dropped all there prices,tues weds and thurs €3 all drinks,fri sat sun mon €4 all drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

There is a pub in swords that does 3 euro pints on a saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Bondi in the city(Zanzibar) do cheap drink monday and tuesday i think.Have a look at there bebo site.There is another pub near templebar i heard which possible do cheap drink,think its on fishamble street(I COULD BE WRONG)

Karma Bar all spirits and long necks 3euro
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7737176226

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Most of my regular pubs are getting surprisingly empty

Have a look in Ranleagh between 7-11pm and then see if there's a recession on! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Karma Bar all spirits and long necks 3euro
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7737176226

+1

Karma is a good one and its pretty central (outskirts of temple bar). Pints are €4 , i think a pint of Guinness is €3.50 . (aswell as all bottles & shots being €3)

Also have some cheap food (main course around €7.95), and its not bad.

Advertisement