Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Booking deposits

Options
  • 26-11-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

Quick Question,

Would a booking deposit paid by laser on a car from a dealer be refundable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

billyhead wrote: »
    Quick Question,

Would a booking deposit paid by laser on a car from a dealer be refundable?

no, hence the name deposit. They are not normally refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends on the contract you signed, what does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I put €1,000 down on a car using plastic before and got it back when I changed my mind.

A friend signed on the line for a new Mini in Keane's, changed her mind, they tried to say she wasn't entitled to it, her boyfriend went into the showroom and started explaining what they were doing in front of customers as the SIMI order form isn't a legally binding agreement and they gave her the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Generally if you be nice aobut it, and they haven't gone to any extreme's (eg. you asked for a towbar to be fitted to the car etc. etc.). Most honest people will give it back. No need to go in waving the law about.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

If you read the back of an SIMI order form, you are not entitled to your deposit back, unless for unforeseen circumstances the car could not be delivered within 14 days of of promised date, etc.

The dealer can actually go after the rest of the money agreed.

Why would a dealer take deposit if it is refundable, theres no point???
    i wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

MarkN wrote: »
    I put €1,000 down on a car using plastic before and got it back when I changed my mind.

A friend signed on the line for a new Mini in Keane's, changed her mind, they tried to say she wasn't entitled to it, her boyfriend went into the showroom and started explaining what they were doing in front of customers as the SIMI order form isn't a legally binding agreement and they gave her the deposit back.

I would have thought any agreement in writing is a legally binding agreement. Unless the SIMI form says she was entitled to her deposit back for any reason or indeed for no reason at all, then I can't see how an SIMI form or any form for that matter, properly signed by both parties, is not a legally binding document.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I would have thought any agreement in writing is a legally binding agreement. Unless the SIMI form says she was entitled to her deposit back for any reason or indeed for no reason at all, then I can't see how an SIMI form or any form for that matter, properly signed by both parties, is not a legally binding document.

I would agree. especially if the dealer has ordered your car and its on its way!
    But normally if you go to them and explain that your circumstances have changed, most people will accept that. If you have just changed your mind then I cant see anyone having much sympathy for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why would anyone hand over a deposit without even knowing the terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

pred racer wrote: »
    I would agree. especially if the dealer has ordered your car and its on its way!
    But normally if you go to them and explain that your circumstances have changed, most people will accept that. If you have just changed your mind then I cant see anyone having much sympathy for you..

That was the way it was done until recently but circumstances have changed on the other side of the equation now as we've been discussing here lately, so you can expect a change in attitude now on things like this...

It's dog eat dog now, a dealer won't give you back your deposit on the liklihood that you've screwed better terms out of your man up the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It's dog eat dog now, a dealer won't give you back your deposit on the liklihood that you've screwed better terms out of your man up the road...

Not only that!! If the dealer has ordered the car already and you just change your mind why should you get your deposit back?! Thats the reason for deposits in the first place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement