Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "Rip Off Ireland" really "Rip Off by the Public Sector"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

CDfm wrote: »
    Market forces or legislation could finish my industry in the morning or the company I work for. PS workers dont work under that type of pressure.
    Reminds me of industries like 'Direct Marketing', 'Internet Marketing' or 'Premium Rate SMS'. Hopefully, the recession will rid us of of all those stupid nuisances & we can get back to important stuff, like food, transport, education and health care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Reminds me of industries like 'Direct Marketing', 'Internet Marketing' or 'Premium Rate SMS'. Hopefully, the recession will rid us of of all those stupid nuisances & we can get back to important stuff, like food, transport, education and health care.

No I work in B2B sector and if there are no businesses you can kiss extra funding for those goodbye and live with yer cutbacks.

It seems that with the Celtic Tiger Years we werent so rich at all.

CDfm wrote: »
    No I work in B2B sector and if there are no businesses you can kiss extra funding for those goodbye and live with yer cutbacks.It seems that with the Celtic Tiger Years we werent so rich at all.
    I understand that part of the recovery plan includes hand-outs for business. Hopefully, these won't be wasted on frivolities like the 'digital hub' or cold-calling centres in Donegal.

The problem with riding a tiger is getting off without being eaten.

I understand that part of the recovery plan includes hand-outs for business. Hopefully, these won't be wasted on frivolities like the 'digital hub' or cold-calling centres in Donegal.

The problem with riding a tiger is getting off without being eaten.

Its a pity because these decisions are usually political anyway.

I can already see the money getting pumped down the drain.

Heard a naff joke about Albert Reynolds Pet Food Co going into administration -theyve called in the retrievers.

Speaking of rip-offs & how the public sector should be more like the private sector: I've just checked my credit card statement, a sterling transaction converted at .88 when the rate on that day was .90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Speaking of rip-offs & how the public sector should be more like the private sector: I've just checked my credit card statement, a sterling transaction converted at .88 when the rate on that day was .90.

This is how they make their money, you will never get the same rate as market. Look if you went into a bank with a bank draft/cheque of 10k lets say, they will tell you it might take 3-5days to clear, why? because the banks hold onto it and get the interest from it before it goes into your account.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

It takes banks days to send cheques / drafts to their sorting offices to clear no matter where you are in the world. If you want instant transaction, for example, do it electronically.

jimmmy wrote: »
    It takes banks days to send cheques / drafts to their sorting offices to clear no matter where you are in the world. If you want instant transaction, for example, do it electronically.

in the USA it can take up to a year for a cheque to clear and it can bounce anywhere along the chain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I have a friend who lives in the states, and it does not take a year. However, cheques are seen as old fashioned and discouraged.

jimmmy wrote: »
    I have a friend who lives in the states, and it does not take a year. However, cheques are seen as old fashioned and discouraged.

im talking about worst case scenario - the banks dont operate a clearing system as we know it and credit your account within a period. if further down the line the cheque bounces it can come back to you

i had the experience around 10 years banking a US cheque in a UK account back but i knew the guy and was fine

i think its just the system

if you dont pay your utilities or phone while they are cheap they cut you of in a few days -no excuses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Cheque clearing times are due to the high level of fraud associated with them and Bank Drafts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RobBrn

Why were cuts in public sector pay not included in the possible solution to our Country's difficulties by An Bord Snip Nua?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

I hate this public sector get x y and z... I get nothing except my salary. I am on a contract so have no job security. I cannot expense anything. I have no milage which doesnt matter anyway because there is no parking. I have friends in the private sector who are sent working abroad and expensing a 5*hotel food airline travel free drinks when some of their collegues have been let go which I think is immoral.
    We have had none of the private sector perks in the lower ranks of the public service, if we did I would understand taking them away but they are not there and never have been

And I don't think there is any point dissing people who work in jobs that don't make profit when people will protest when told to pay for the services - university fees being one prime example

Jamie-b wrote: »
    I hate this public sector get x y and z... I get nothing except my salary. I am on a contract so have no job security. I cannot expense anything. I have no milage which doesnt matter anyway because there is no parking. I have friends in the private sector who are sent working abroad and expensing a 5*hotel food airline travel free drinks when some of their collegues have been let go which I think is immoral.
    We have had none of the private sector perks in the lower ranks of the public service, if we did I would understand taking them away but they are not there and never have been

Your friends are very few and far between.

When a public servant travels they are fully expensed many in the private sector are not expensed either.

If a VAT inspector goes for a VAT inspection they get expenses.

In the private sector if demand for a product or service is no more you get redundancy as everything needs to pay its way.

Your friends who work on foreign parts of the business may even have their expenses paid by the client probably work in a profitable area of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the bottom line is that no one, no one in the public sector is worth over 100k per year, why not cap pay?! for every worker in there that would be disgruntled by this, let them leave, there will be thousands of similar if not better qualified people lining up to do the job and probably for less money!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

look if private companies, send their employees over to 5* hotels, put them up first class etc, thats none of your concern, that is the companies money! anything paid out by the government is our money i.e the taxpayer! and its funny that those at the top in ireland government / public service are actually the biggest liabilities and wasters!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the bottom line is that no one, no one in the public sector is worth over 100k per year, why not cap pay?! for every worker in there that would be disgruntled by this, let them leave, there will be thousands of similar if not better qualified people lining up to do the job and probably for less money!

Ditto

FFS the country is in serious doodoo because the publiuc sector was part of a huge disaster. Thew private sector is getting hammered so why not share out the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i know a librarian in public sector who gets paid €110,000 a year.
    stacks books and tells people to be quiet if they talk too loud....

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

ah, another public service bashing thread :eek:

FFS stop believing everything the media tells you and stop tarring everyone with the same brush...

there are plenty of incompetent, usless gits in the private sector as well.....

i don't think anyone would disagree but do you know any librarians getting paid €110,000 a year?
    the 2 financial controllers earn €120,000 and the president €165,000
    i didn't read a newspaper, i saw the actual budget.

actually, the average worked out at €1500 a week..couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭amacca

weiss wrote: »
    i don't think anyone would disagree but do you know any librarians getting paid €110,000 a year?

I dont anyway...but that is probably got to do with the fact that I don't even know any librarians.

This librarian earning 110k are you sure their job description was merely stacking books and saying shhh occasionally?

I only ask because you have seen the accounts........................................ Any chance they may be quite senior and possibly be in charge of a library or a number of branches or something?

110k sounds a lot for the job description you supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

murf313 wrote: »
    ah, another public service bashing thread :eek:

FFS stop believing everything the media tells you and stop tarring everyone with the same brush...

there are plenty of incompetent, usless gits in the private sector as well.....

Yes there are but i'm not paying for them so i don't give a s***e!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Yes there are but i'm not paying for them so i don't give a s***e!!!!!

well in that case im just going to head to the pub tomorrow with that money you paid me......

and i dont really give a **** either because il still have my "free" pension at the end of it all and my guranteed job. along with that librarian who earns 110k...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

murf313 wrote: »
    well in that case im just going to head to the pub tomorrow with that money you paid me......

and i dont really give a **** either because il still have my "free" pension at the end of it all and my guranteed job.

Your welcome I guess!

And that guy wasnt wrong.
    If my mobile operator, dry cleaner, ISP are useless wasters I will take my business elsewhere.

But while I Pay tax as I earn I will always reserve the right to call out the public sector when I see fit.

If public "servents" dont like it then let them pay their own wages because I've just about had my fill of them

to Paraphrase churchill: Never has so little actual service been delivered by so many at such a great cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dresden8 wrote: »
    Hey lads, calm down.

You're going to need public servants when you go to sign on.

Remember to say please and thank you.

lol

the line in your local spar deli will be a distant memory

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

murphaph wrote: »
    Of course the public sector is not worthless. We need public services. They do not get exported however and do not bring in any actual money to the country.

The public service didn't drive the country into the ground or destroy the boom. The government for the last decade however has pandered ridiculously to the 'social partners' which should have never been allowed to happen (along with a whole host of other things that shoudn't have been alowed to happen). The general public accepted this back then because there was lots of money slosshing about (apparently) but from now on, every penny will be questioned. The public sector workers simply have to realise that they will not be unaffected by this abysmal recession. They will face redundancy and pay cuts too. That appears increasingy likely. I just want them to accept this and be dignified like the Dell workers etc. and do not strike and withhold services to the rest of us in a vain attempt to stal the inevitable. These changes to our country are painful to us all but we must get back to competitiveness rapidly or it'll get much worse. We are all facing a lower standard of living.

The ESB is has an average salary of the order of 70k. It is quite frankly, ridiculous.
    I know a guy in the ESB in a desk job who is getting €30k "disturbance money":rolleyes: because his office is being moved .....funny thing is that his new office will be 12 miles closer to his home,he openly admits that the whole thing is a total joke.Unions jump on anyone who rocks the boat about the wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Performance related pay would sort out all the rotten apples in the system.this attitude that we all work at the same pace and if anyone breaks from the pack and does a bit more they are given a slap on the wrist and towed back in line,if you make a compliant about someone being totally useless its called bullying..total bull!!!!flexitime(ill come and go as i please:rolleyes:) is another joke,office hours should be from 8.30-5 ...its a bloody job not a holiday camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

120k for a librarian! you must be some tool to believe that!
    i dont work in the ps but i do have the pay grades il scan them in and post later to debunk some of the myths here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

they have the country by the balls like the starter poster stated they can drop a strike by the drop of the hat,and of course they are getting an backlash by the ordinary joe, im sure people in the public sector who are getting axed would be moved to another department*god knows that they cant fecking move the overbloated hse admin people to the dole offices to cut down on waiting time for the poor people that need the money urgently and theres probably enough well educated people on the dole who would probably work for less in the public sector,if they had the chance* to get a lovely payoff or a nice retirement bonus if they are let go early,its a blackhole its a win/win situation,and why coundnt the gov cut wages,are they afraid of been sued?,is the taoiseach going to be in court someday for breaking a legal agreement,i wish i had an employer like that,take them to court if they cut my wages,yes there are some hardworking people out there but the timezones seem to be different from a working class person i havent heard a public sector working saying im going to leave my 9-5 job to work in another job because i want more wages so i take a job vhi ,its all about the lovely pensions and bonuses along with guarentee wages+secure job,we need someone like micheal o leary to run the services and to get tough with these people,and dont say it be worse,we a healthservice that is a blackhole!

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote:
    120k for a librarian! you must be some tool to believe that!
    i dont work in the ps but i do have the pay grades il scan them in and post later to debunk some of the myths here

Sorry, made a mistake, it isn't 110K but definitely is 97K a year for the librarian...you're thinking of the 2 financial controllers getting paid 120K a year.

Why have 1 when you can have 2? sure, we can afford it ;)

The figures are here right in front of me.

Advertisement