Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you doing?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just wondering what everybodys studying right now and if your enjoying it?
    What would anyone consider to be a really rewarding course? Or the courses with the biggest workload?

Please and thanks in advance!
    ;):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm doing a Masters in Sociology (MSocSc). I'm hugely enjoying the modules especially Social Networks and Agent Based Simulation, which is incredibly interesting. The other two modules I take, include Sociological Research and Sociological Theory. They're also very interesting and informative. They've given me a more balanced perspective in the field of sociology and the state of things in general - as opposed to a black and white reductionist view.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4th year BSc Computer Science. It's a LOT of work, especially at the end of term, and sometimes it feels like no matter how much work I do that I should be doing about twice as much. Some subjects are mind-numbingly boring (*cough* Operating Systems *cough*), others are quite interesting (I really like Machine Learning).

The lack of electives this year is a bit of a bugger, I always found being able to take classes in something outside my course to be a lot of fun (I've done 3 semesters of Japanese and enjoyed it all), but all 60 credits this year are in CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Just out of curiosity, are you asking these questions to help with CAO choices or just general interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2nd Year Arts, doing History and Sociology as my joint major subjects.

Loving both subjects as a whole, enjoy the Sociology of Work module at the moment. Really can't wait for the Sport and Modern Society history module next semester though.

Doing Millenium Development Goals Politics as elective this semester...big mistake. Doing Accounting for Non-Business Students next semester...seems really easy after LC higher level, so should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Jev/N wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, are you asking these questions to help with CAO choices or just general interest?
    Just general interest really. Just wanted to get a feel for the place, if it were help for the cao it would nearly be like asking a total stranger 'what do I like?'

Thanks for the replies so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ah right, just making sure you're not basing your choice on workload and how rewarding it is as it's all down to perspective!

I'm in 4th B&L at this stage... really enjoying the degree as there's a nice balance between quantitative and qualitative exams and some of the business subjects are easy to get good marks in. The class is relatively small so I know most people in my year in comparison to Arts etc. which is pretty cool. Many of the law subjects are really interesting and there's a good balance between continuous assessment and final exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm in 3rd Arts, studying Computer Science and History (joint major).

I stopped liking Comp Sci after 1st year (except the odd module). I enjoy most of the History modules, but it's such a pain that there are so many compulsory ones, limiting our choice significantly.

This is my final year, so PLEEEEEEEEEAASEEE FOOK I pass everything, then I'm sorted!

Cool, thanks for the replies so far guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Single major in Chemistry, currently in 3rd year, but I'm supporting myself financially so I'm only doing a half year to allow time for 24 hours of work a week. 3rd year next year too, then 4th year.

It's a joy to do, though I can't wait to finish the physical and quantum part and move on to inorganic and organic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 .DumDeDum.

1st year Psychology. Loving it so far. Studying Irish and Information Studies this year too because of the whole Arts system thing. Irish is great...information studies not so much :eek:. Workload isn't really too bad, comparing it to the Leaving Cert last year anyway! I love the continuous assessment, even if it means more stress during the semester!
    Can't wait till next year though when Psychology is my main subject!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

3rd Year Mathematical Physics.
    it's the best game in town :D

3rd Year Mathematical Physics.
    it's the best game in town :D

I have pretty horrific memories of that, but I know that when I was a 3rd Math Sci I didn't do anything like as much work as I should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

I have pretty horrific memories of that, but I know that when I was a 3rd Math Sci I didn't do anything like as much work as I should have.

parts are indeed quite horrific (Raphael, you know what i mean), but i wouldn't want to do anything else. it's an entire discipline on it's own and requires you to know so much from so many fields of science eg. Mathematical Biology uses dynamical systems, computational science, some partial differential equations and you pick up on biological systems (ecology, infectious diseases, HIV, enzyme kinetics, population genetics) in forming the problems, and it's considered a relatively easy course :)

Actually, that Mathematical Biology unit sounds kinda cool. That's the sort of thing that used to fascinate me (still does tbh!), but courses like the electromagnetic theory ones in third year nearly killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where are all the engineers?

I'm doing, well writing up, an MEngSc at the mo-mo. The title is too boring and ultimately meaningless for me to type here.

My advice: Don't do a masters, or if you must, do a taught masters. Research masters teach you to be lazy, become proficient in google, stay up until...2:17a.m. and go cycling from 10a.m. until lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

parts are indeed quite horrific (Raphael, you know what i mean), but i wouldn't want to do anything else. it's an entire discipline on it's own and requires you to know so much from so many fields of science eg. Mathematical Biology uses dynamical systems, computational science, some partial differential equations and you pick up on biological systems (ecology, infectious diseases, HIV, enzyme kinetics, population genetics) in forming the problems, and it's considered a relatively easy course :)
    PDEs.... *twitchtwitch*

3rd year Theoretical Physics here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Raphael wrote: »
    PDEs.... *twitchtwitch*

3rd year Theoretical Physics here

Are you in Daedalus building now? Kinda odd, but think I'm sitting right behind ya, and saw someome on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Final year Electrical Engineering
    Or as the Electronics call it, final year pass Electronic Engineering

It's a great buzz doing Electrical. There's just so much potential with it that sometimes I wonder where they generated all these ideas. With all this renewables ma lark going on it has become very current and the power you can get from it in the end is shocking. Wattever I decide to do after, I know that this degree will have given me Ample opportunities

... I'm gonna stop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

3rd year radiography here. On placement at the moment and really miss ucd.

gubbie wrote: »

It's a great buzz doing Electrical. There's just so much potential with it that sometimes I wonder where they generated all these ideas. With all this renewables ma lark going on it has become very current and the power you can get from it in the end is shocking. Wattever I decide to do after, I know that this degree will have given me Ample opportunities

... I'm gonna stop now.

Oh god....Im afraid to admit that I thought the first one was an unintended pun...then they just kept coming...

niiiice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

gubbie wrote: »

... I'm gonna stop now.
    Ohm my Gauss... :pac:

Structural Engineering with Architecture here, 2nd year: one of the new Bologna Process 3+2 degrees. The first group to do this degree graduates in 2009. The way it was described to me, architects are looking for structural engineers who don't think that Frank Lloyd Wright is a firm of engineering consultants. I should graduate just in time for the collapse of the global construction industry, but I can always do the Master's if I can afford to... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

(Effectively) 2nd Year Sociology/English here. Fairly autodidactic approach to my degree so unfortunately I'm not the best to ask.

Advertisement