Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish - Leaving Cert

• 26-11-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SuPeR

Hi, I know its a bit early but i really wanna get started! Im in college but i want to repeat irish for my post grad so i was just wondering does anyone have any hints on what might come up in all parts of the paper ;)
    Its scary :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msc

i heard gealt might be on for the ordinary poems !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

SuPeR wrote: »
    Hi, I know its a bit early but i really wanna get started! Im in college but i want to repeat irish for my post grad so i was just wondering does anyone have any hints on what might come up in all parts of the paper ;)
    Its scary :confused:

An Bhean Óg - Prós

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

An Mháthair
    Dá mb'fhéidir arís d'ár gcumann

This is the 4th year in the cycle 2006-2009, and those two have yet to appear as part of Dánta Dualgais Breise. An Bhean Óg has never appeared as a 25 mark question in the Prós either so I'd look at that.

As for essays, make sure you know something about the recession/end of An Tíogar Ceilteach. Wouldn't surprise me if that was to come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

my teachers thinking that one of
    da mb'feidir aris dar gcumann
    an mhathair
    urchill an creagan
    an chead drama

and has 9 history topics that shes emphasisesd and her predictions havent gone wrong since 1993 so im putting a bit of faith in her

an mhathair
    urchill an creagan
    an chead drama

and has 9 history topics that shes emphasisesd and her predictions havent gone wrong since 1993 so im putting a bit of faith in her

I can guarentee you that "Dá mb'fheidir..." and "An Mháthair" will come up. The Irish paper is very very predictable.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote: »
    I can guarentee you that "Dá mb'fheidir..." and "An Mháthair" will come up. The Irish paper is very very predictable.

im praying for an mathair
    its the easiest one for me to learn by far!

im praying for an mathair
    its the easiest one for me to learn by far!

Yeah same. Very easy I think. I could talk about it for days if my Irish was any good. Lol

Yeah same. Very easy I think. I could talk about it for days if my Irish was any good. Lol

the learning is my weakest part in the irish course and thats what it mainly is.
    the oral i can quite easily waffle on fr hours only thing is my grammer can go fairly astray.id say in the oral theyll bring up up employment and the economic state with the recission so much in the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

According to my Irish teacher anything could come up in the LC Irish papers. Apparently, the examination board won't take previous question patterns into account from this year onwards.

Monzo wrote: »
    According to my Irish teacher anything could come up in the LC Irish papers. Apparently, the examination board won't take previous question patterns into account from this year onwards.

Any citation other than your teacher?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure it's from next year onwards. If you look through the Edco sample exam papers you'll see "2006-2009" on them. If the examination mess up that pattern then there'll be outcry. They try and make the exam as easy as they possibly can to keep the Honour rate up in the statistics.

My Irish teacher knows the head guy over the exam very well and he still stresses that no changes like you've mentioned will occur this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

There's a new examiner doing the Irish paper this year. Don't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

The Irish course only changes every 4 years.

I'm pretty sure it's from next year onwards. If you look through the Edco sample exam papers you'll see "2006-2009" on them. If the examination mess up that pattern then there'll be outcry. They try and make the exam as easy as they possibly can to keep the Honour rate up in the statistics.

My Irish teacher knows the head guy over the exam very well and he still stresses that no changes like you've mentioned will occur this year.

Fair enough, I was going by what I was told. Regardless, I'll probably do a fair bit of study on every poem (except Cathal O' Searcaigh's poems - little chance of them appearing), just in case.

Fair enough, I was going by what I was told. Regardless, I'll probably do a fair bit of study on every poem (except Cathal O' Searcaigh's poems - little chance of them appearing), just in case.

I hope is poems come up :D

People wont have studied him, and his poems are insanely easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

There's absolutely nothing to say Cathal O' Searcaigh's poems won't come up.
    When the whole scandal came to light last year the Department said he's still on the course and still can come up!
    Maybe it's unlikely, but I wouldn't just exclude him.

On a lighter note, Cathal O Searcaigh's not a paedophile.
    He's a paedo-file.

/ phale

bythewoods wrote: »
    He's a paedo-file.

He's our Gary Glitter.

Katmandu is just like Vietnam. (I've been to Vietnam but not Katmandu, 'Nam is lovely, I'm pretty sure Glitter was in prison while I was there, which is always a plus :D)

He's just a charitable man

He's a bit scary, but his poetry's simple. Few prostitutes here, few gay lovers up North there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

the learning is my weakest part in the irish course and thats what it mainly is.
    the oral i can quite easily waffle on fr hours only thing is my grammer can go fairly astray.id say in the oral theyll bring up up employment and the economic state with the recission so much in the media

Yeah same wit me... so much poetry aswell... should be more emphasis on the oral as it's more important to be able to speak the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

There's absolutely nothing to say Cathal O' Searcaigh's poems won't come up.
    When the whole scandal came to light last year the Department said he's still on the course and still can come up!
    Maybe it's unlikely, but I wouldn't just exclude him.

He's a paedo-file.

/ phale

Paedo-file.... Nice!!!:D

• Advertisement

Yeah same wit me... so much poetry aswell... should be more emphasis on the oral as it's more important to be able to speak the language.

Hence the impending syllabus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

He's a paedo-file.

An greannmhar!

Does anyone know where I can get some sample answers to previous Leaving Cert questions? Is there anywhere online that would have them?
    I thought Edco past papers would have them like they do in the English ones which I found as a good help last year.

Go raibh maith agat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SuPeR

an mhathair
    urchill an creagan
    an chead drama

Thanks, What are the nine history topics?
    I appreciate the help guys :)

Redbhoy wrote: »
    An greannmhar!

Does anyone know where I can get some sample answers to previous Leaving Cert questions?

I'm pretty sure one of those revision books have sample answers. Less stress/ revise wise/ something.
    I'm not quite sure which, but my Irish teacher used to photocopy them for us last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gregbelvo

Our teacher has instructed us to only learn An Mhathair and Da mb'fheidir aris dar cumann for honours poetry ,this worries me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

An Mháthair
    Dá mb'fhéidir arís d'ár gcumann

This is the 4th year in the cycle 2006-2009, and those two have yet to appear as part of Dánta Dualgais Breise. An Bhean Óg has never appeared as a 25 mark question in the Prós either so I'd look at that.

As for essays, make sure you know something about the recession/end of An Tíogar Ceilteach. Wouldn't surprise me if that was to come up

In addition I would look at Cearrbhach Mac Caba coming up as a 15 marker as they seem to love putting up in the (b) part. With regards essays as andyman said, culu is very likely aswell as other topics such as slad ar na boithre ( death on the roads ) and sceimlitheoireacht ( terrorism ).

Has anybody got any tips on what might come up for A Thig Na Tit Orm? even though there is the minority few doing it compared to An Triail. It is next biggest question on the written paper after the aiste and I want to put a bit of time into it!

andyman, An bhean og did come up as a 25 marker before? In 2007 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SuPeR

I just cant learn Irish :mad:
    Someone tell me what to do :(

Keep reading over sample aistes and oral answers that apply to you until you become familiar with them. The oral and aiste take up a huge chunk of the marks so it's probably best you start on them. Not really sure what else you can do if you can't learn it. Cheat? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Our teacher has been involved for years in irish papers....the following will be up...an bhean og...cearrbhach mac caba...question on trial he hinted maili and oibri soisialta...jack..nil aon ni and for h.l learn an mhathair and da mbfheidir only!

• Advertisement

Our teacher has been involved for years in irish papers....the following will be up...an bhean og...cearrbhach mac caba...question on trial he hinted maili and oibri soisialta...jack..nil aon ni and for h.l learn an mhathair and da mbfheidir only!

I'd say thats true :)

Advertisement