Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish - Leaving Cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

msc wrote: »
    i heard gealt might be on for the ordinary poems !!!!
    Fad wrote: »
    An Bhean Óg - Prós
    andyman wrote: »
    An Mháthair
    Dá mb'fhéidir arís d'ár gcumann

An Bhean Óg has never appeared as a 25 mark question in the Prós either so I'd look at that.
    my teachers thinking that one of
    da mb'feidir aris dar gcumann
    an mhathair
    an chead drama
    JSK 252 wrote: »
    In addition I would look at Cearrbhach Mac Caba coming up as a 15 marker as they seem to love putting up in the (b) part.
    Our teacher has been involved for years in irish papers....the following will be up...an bhean og...cearrbhach mac caba...question on trial he hinted maili and oibri soisialta...jack..nil aon ni and for h.l learn an mhathair and da mbfheidir only!

I really think it'd be worth noting all of the above. Myself and my friends went through the past exam papers and we think:

Ordinary poems
    Gealt
    Jack
    Bimse Buan

All have a good chance of coming up.

Honours Poems
    The only two to have never been examined on this course are Dá mb'fheidir arís... and An Mháthair. These are the two honours poems I'll be focussing most on. I'll also look at An Chéad Dráma as it hasn't come up in 2 years. Also Eithne Strong (who wrote Dá Mb'fhéidir...died 10 years ago this year so it'll be extra-relevant. Also means she has a strong chance of coming up in the Stair section)

Prós
    I'm thinking An Bhean óg and Cearrbhach Mac Cába as neither have been asked in a while.

A lot of these have been havily tipped to come up by some teachers at the Institute too, according to some of my friends who did revision courses there.

Another prson tipped to come up in some part of the paper (possibly comprehension) Is Peig Sayers as it's some anniversary of her death this year.

on paper 1 for the ceapadoireacht, isnt it true the 80% of the marks are going for your irish and only 20 for the manipulation of the story to fit the title? wouldnt that mean you could learn off one story thats really good and put it with any title you like and still get nearly a B1???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Not as simple as that Aydin Silly Bobsled I'm afraid.

Yes, 80% goes towards your ability in Irish & only 20% goes towards content, but if your essay isn't relevant to the title you still get 0%

It has to be relevant, but they're not that interested in the actual story, just so long as your relevant nonsense is written in good Irish.

ok ok, so what if they want you to write about, let say an accident. couldnt you write just a couple of line on the rlevant topic and then say: then later that day blabla bla!! (your learnt off story)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

[quote=[Deleted User];58528889]ok ok, so what if they want you to write about, let say an accident. couldnt you write just a couple of line on the rlevant topic and then say: then later that day blabla bla!! (your learnt off story)?[/QUOTE]

They'll notice :)

Its the same with French, they dont want any old crap they want relevant stuff that is your own work!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

exactly how sure of a thing is it that da mB'fheidir aris and an mhathair will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Dubs wrote: »
    exactly how sure of a thing is it that da mB'fheidir aris and an mhathair will come up?

You can bet your mothers life on it or we are all ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 odeacl

i dont like either poems....im prob the only person in ireland hoping they dont show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

SuPeR wrote: »
    Thanks, What are the nine history topics?
    I appreciate the help guys :)

-Gluaiseanna
    -Ogham
    -Canuinti
    -Fianniocht
    -Analla
    -amhran
    -Colaiste Lovain
    -Bealoideas
    -Gaeilge ins na mean
    -an ghealteacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Don't forget that there is still three years left(including this year) with this course. The 5th years at present (i.e Leaving Cert 2010) are doing this course and i am 90% sure that those doing the leaving cert in 2011 will also have the same course.... that means that the two poems that have yet to come up (an mhathair and Dá mbhfeidir) will be spread over 3 years so one year neither of the two will come up. there's a chance that the course will change for 2011 but up untill now teachers havn't received a list of new stories or poems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Don't forget that there is still three years left(including this year) with this course. The 5th years at present (i.e Leaving Cert 2010) are doing this course and i am 90% sure that those doing the leaving cert in 2011 will also have the same course.... that means that the two poems that have yet to come up (an mhathair and Dá mbhfeidir) will be spread over 3 years so one year neither of the two will come up. there's a chance that the course will change for 2011 but up untill now teachers havn't received a list of new stories or poems.

Oh I thought this year was the last year? And so was the last year CAthal O'Searcaigh's poems could come up...:confused:

We've only done 2 of the HL poems, and we haven't even touched on the Stair. I'm a little bit worried by the amount you've all got done :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ceacht

No it is not the last year of the Irish course as is!

Does anyone know is it absolutely essential to quote when writing about the Irish prose? I can do poetry quites because the poem's there in front of you, but haven't a hope of remembering prose quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Oh I thought this year was the last year? And so was the last year CAthal O'Searcaigh's poems could come up...:confused:

We've only done 2 of the HL poems, and we haven't even touched on the Stair. I'm a little bit worried by the amount you've all got done :o

ame with me.. we're well behind, even doin extra classes on thursdays after school

Piste wrote: »
    Does anyone know is it absolutely essential to quote when writing about the Irish prose? I can do poetry quites because the poem's there in front of you, but haven't a hope of remembering prose quotes.

There is abosultely no need to remember prose quotes. They may have them in dreimire notes etc. but thats just for clarity. Sure I dont even write them for my comparative essay in english so why gaeilge!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Nah I dont think we need any quotes at all.

I have enough quotes to remember as it is! English and my other bloody "Novel" for Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Don't think I used a single quote for prose... I suppose a choice word could be beneficial, depending on what your point is, but it'd really be going beyond what's necessary.

Thank God! Was worried I'd lose out on a tonne of marks there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SuPeR

Are you sure this isnt the last year for these poetry and stories?
    i heard it was.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

But the course was only changed recently. o.O

• Advertisement

SuPeR wrote: »
    Are you sure this isnt the last year for these poetry and stories?
    i heard it was.:confused:

I'm pretty sure it is, I think these prose and poems are for 2006-2009, but another poster said that the course isn't changing. A search on examinations.ie didn't show up anything either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ceacht

Aw man there was me banking on the two poems that had never cme up before coming up :(

Aw man there was me banking on the two poems that had never cme up before coming up :(

There seems to be an aura around the place that at least one of the unexamined poems will come up.

IF one of them does then I will get an A and if it doesnt then I wont! Gaeilge is a hit or miss subject in terms of getting the grade.

Then why not study both?

Then why not study both?

Thats what I meant. Im putting most of my time into the 2 poems. If they dont come up then I wont get an A in irish but if they do then its hunkey dorey. I have other subjects to concentrate on in which I can definetely get an A in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SuPeR

ceacht wrote: »

Cúla Búla!!!!
    So if i dont pass it this year i might be lucky for the forth time :D

So how is everyone getting on? what have they done? what have you to do?
    Oral nine weeks away:eek:
    Oh and i was thinking something about Obama could come up. He's is very topical lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kistelli

Another prson tipped to come up in some part of the paper (possibly comprehension) Is Peig Sayers as it's some anniversary of her death this year.

I'm not sure would they put anything up on Peig as a comprehension cos so many schools do her biography for the dírbheatháísnéis that they'd probably have an unfair advantage if they already know her story...also Is anyone else worried that maybe because everyone is assuming that Dá mb'fheidir..." and "An Mháthair" are going to come up that maybe they won't put either on it on purpose just to try and screw us all over?!

Yeah they could be nasty like that :(

Maybe something to do with Peig will come up in the aural then, an announcement about her death or something. I'd be surprised if she didn't come up in the stair section too.

• Advertisement

kistelli wrote: »
    I'm not sure would they put anything up on Peig as a comprehension cos so many schools do her biography for the dírbheatháísnéis that they'd probably have an unfair advantage if they already know her story...also Is anyone else worried that maybe because everyone is assuming that Dá mb'fheidir..." and "An Mháthair" are going to come up that maybe they won't put either on it on purpose just to try and screw us all over?!

Firstly this would be extremely harsh on students who genuinely put a great deal of effort into analysing the two unexamined poems. ( I for one ) Then again it would be a wake up call for the chancers who compelete chance their arm in their predictions for the exam. A girl in my class for the christmas exam wrote about culu when there was absolutely no mention of it in the titles on the exam paper.

Secondly if the exam paper is completely ****ed up when juxtaposed with previous years then it will not be a good advertisement for higher level Irish for next years group. A certain A grade percentage has to be achieved by the SEC, but sure enough the gaelgeoirs from the gaeltacht wouldnt be despaired by whatever poems come up in paper 2. They are going to get an A anyway.

The subject as i said before is a dodgy one in terms of what comes up. But if you think about it in the general scale of things 35 marks out of 600 isnt a huge deal. Its about 6% which is around the difference of a grade. ( i.e B1, B2, B3 etc. ). It doesnt have the same weighting of importance as say the aiste or the novel/ drama.

Advertisement