Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classy Reliable diesel for 12k.

Options
  • 26-11-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a c220 cdi 2002 avantgarde around 13k around 75k on clock. However , I have been told that they have some electric problems and servicing is expensive, also loads of lights come on dash when service etc due and need to go main dealer to switch off !! Anyone got experience of these and what they are like, beemer don't have 2 litre diesel for that money, saab ??? not so sure that I could sell it again !! Any ideas for something classy with nice spec yet reliable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If you're looking for reliability a C-Class of that vintage wouldn't be the best choice. BMW do have a 2.0 litre diesel which is very good but did have a tendency to blow turbos. The SAAB 9-3 is available in diesel but at that budget the old 2.2 TiD engine would be your only option, which is a very agricultural engine.

Besides the typical Audi A4 TDi I can't really think of much else for the money besides the Volvo S60 D5, which is a 2.4 litre. This one in particular is very nice for the money: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/2.4-D5-S/200840190275041/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d. Classiest car for the money hands down!!! (Can you tell I have one!)

Most reliable non-Japanese car in the past decade according to UK surveys. Very refined for a diesel and nicely powerful 128bhp and 330Nm of torque. Very pleasant drive indeed!!

I'm getting an average of around 46mpg with mixed driving.

You should comfortably pick one up for 13 or 14k with similar vintage and mileage as your C-Class. Better yet, get it from the UK. With sterling at .85 I wish I had waited till now!! You'll get and VRT a 3 or 4 year old car from the UK with low mileage for similar money....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BMW 320d would be my first choice, and the Merc C220 CDI is a very classy alternative. Mind buy an '02 of either and they'll be worth very little in two years time

Dark horse: Rover 75 diesel. It was designed and manufactured under BMW ownership and it has the same engine as the BMW 320d. Keep several grand of your budget and get an '05

I like the X-type, but it should be noted that it really only is a Ford Mondeo wearing a Jaguar costume. Good car, but because of that I think they are overpriced

In any of them, try and get an automatic gearbox.

unkel wrote: »
    I like the X-type, but it should be noted that it really only is a Ford Mondeo wearing a Jaguar costume. Good car, but because of that I think they are overpriced

Ha ha! No disrespect meant at all, but that is the typical response of someone who has never driven one. The X-Type shares the Mondeo chassis (no bad thing I understand) and engine (taken away by Jaguar and completely reworked and refined). The official parts commonality is 20% Mondeo and 80% pure bred Jaguar. A long way away from being a Mondeo in Jag clothing. I can say from experience that it is in a different league altogether...

As for the interiors, can you really compare:

JAG0003.jpg

to:

no-image-large.gif

?????

You will get much more for your money with an X than with a Merc or BMW, plus you get to drive something that is a little unusual too!

Send your orders to Ta Me Anseo, P.O. Box 123, Eire........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

C Class Merc of that vintage was far from reliable, build quality on them was also iffy.

Pre 2004 3 Series diesel was also known to blow turbos.

Posh badges aside if you want something a little different and rare then this looks like it could fit the bill:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1267482

Given the current climate and the low demand for large French couches I reckon you could get that close to your budget with some good bargining skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

VolvoMan wrote: »
    If you're looking for reliability a C-Class of that vintage wouldn't be the best choice. BMW do have a 2.0 litre diesel which is very good but did have a tendency to blow turbos. The SAAB 9-3 is available in diesel but at that budget the old 2.2 TiD engine would be your only option, which is a very agricultural engine.

Besides the typical Audi A4 TDi I can't really think of much else for the money besides the Volvo S60 D5, which is a 2.4 litre. This one in particular is very nice for the money: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/2.4-D5-S/200840190275041/advert

You can clear a SAAB 9-3 with the 1.9 engine from 10k onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

If you want something classed as classy,your going to need more then 4 cylinders .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Hadn't thought about the Jag, will have a look. I am not a lover of French cars , I did own a Peugeot and a citroen, wouldn't really buy one again now that I have got them out of my system. Hadn't considered the Volvo and may look a bit closer, don't know a lot about them for relaibility. Would like something roomy so find the a4 and bmw 3 series a bit small in the boot and back seats for family car. Would consider the saab but am not so sure about reliability and servicing costs. Any info on this would be appreciated. I like the merc avantgarde having had a 94 but I am hearing that the apres 00 are not as reliable. May also consider an a6.

shawnee wrote: »
    May also consider an a6.

This segment represents better value. Check out the E-class and 5 series too. If you can stretch your running costs a bit (mainly tax), it is very hard to beat a BMW 530d E39 (previous model) as an ownership proposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

shawnee wrote: »
    Hadn't considered the Volvo and may look a bit closer, don't know a lot about them for relaibility. Would like something roomy so find the a4 and bmw 3 series a bit small in the boot and back seats for family car. Would consider the saab but am not so sure about reliability and servicing costs. Any info on this would be appreciated. I like the merc avantgarde having had a 94 but I am hearing that the apres 00 are not as reliable. May also consider an a6.

A few early S60's had electrical gremlins but I haven't really heard a lot negative about them reliability wise. Headroom is said to be a bit restrictive in the back due to the sloping roofline, but I've traveled in one on many occasions and didn't find it to be too much of a problem and I'm verging on 6 ft 3. They would be one of the bigger cars in the class in all other aspects. The boot also has a narrow access but it is a decent size.

I'm not being biased even though I may appear to be, but I would definitely recommend taking a serious look at one.

Somebody suggested the X-type there and while they are by no means a proper Jag, there is good value for money to be had with them. From the UK you could easily have one landed for 10k I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »

Jesus those two look good value. Although i've driven an Xc90 with the same engine (i'm assuming). Wasn't hugely fond of it, rotten sound of it. Other than that, they look like good value if running costs could stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

VolvoMan wrote: »
    A few early S60's had electrical gremlins but I haven't really heard a lot negative about them reliability wise. Headroom is said to be a bit restrictive in the back due to the sloping roofline, but I've traveled in one on many occasions and didn't find it to be too much of a problem and I'm verging on 6 ft 3. They would be one of the bigger cars in the class in all other aspects. The boot also has a narrow access but it is a decent size.

I'm not being biased even though I may appear to be, but I would definitely recommend taking a serious look at one.

If you haven’t tested an s60 put it on your list, you should have no problem finding one with a winter pack (heated seats) ,sports suspension full leather and the upgraded 13 speaker sound system for the money. I have the petrol of the same with 110K approaching and no intention of changing , I am looking closely at this thread as my wife’s car is due for retirement and 10-12K will be the budget on the next car. We are thinking about s80 D5 or an BMW 530d e39. The only problem I have with the s60 is that I am 6-4 and the 11year old is getting there too. He has complaints about the rear leg room as does the 7 year old sitting behind me on the booster seat. Boot space and access is no problem.

Thanks all , getting loads of info from this. The bmw 530 is one that I would like, but the road tax of 1231 is really crippling, added to no doubt a hike from my insurance company from my 1800 cc at present. It is a pity that these are 3 litre as I am sure the present 2 litre diesel packs a fair punch and has as much space. However these won't be in my bracket for some time. I find the 3 series in these a bit pokey for a family car, again I am over the 6 ft and have the 11 yr old heading in the same direction.
    I have looked at the Mondeo and I like the engine , however I did not get the wow feeling from the one that I saw, even though it was a ghia.

Have a look here:

Reliability Index

Gives the top 100 cars in the UK over the past decade. Might help in decision making.

If you're a tall lad (and junior will be too!) then you may find the X-Type a bit short on headroom in the back. It does have a huge boot though so you could put him in there!

Since I will be able to opt in to the new tax system when my tax expires in Jan, I will then be paying 290 a year for road tax instead of 590 under the old system. Might be another reason for sourcing a UK car if you can......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Have a look here:

Reliability Index

Gives the top 100 cars in the UK over the past decade. Might help in decision making.

If you're a tall lad (and junior will be too!) then you may find the X-Type a bit short on headroom in the back. It does have a huge boot though so you could put him in there!

Since I will be able to opt in to the new tax system when my tax expires in Jan, I will then be paying 290 a year for road tax instead of 590 under the old system. Might be another reason for sourcing a UK car if you can......

Sorry for asking a question that has been covered a million times but when you say opt into the new tax system... I was under the impression that any car pre Jan 08 had to go into the old system... is this not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bennyc wrote: »
    Sorry for asking a question that has been covered a million times but when you say opt into the new tax system... I was under the impression that any car pre Jan 08 had to go into the old system... is this not the case.

yeah this caught my attention too! whats the deal?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Can of worms. you cannot "opt in" on the new tax system.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    you cannot "opt in" on the new tax system.

Yes you can. But only with a 2008 car that was registered in this country before 01/07/2008.

See the link to the "new VRT regime" thread in the charter for all the details...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

W124 E-Class Mercs were reputedly more reliable than later ones. The 24v 300 diesel from 1994-1996 is highly regarded, good for 500,000 miles, very smooth straight-6 with mpg in high 30's.

Finding one with genuine low mileage is still worth it but can be difficult.
    Here is a good example, although I think the price should be nearer €3k-5k if mileage is genuine.

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1187130
    (I am using rte.ie to search carzone, because it has the older, better search engine)

I think is much classier than later E-Classes and Beemers. Ok, tax will be higher on 3L but you’ll have €5-7k left from your budget and depreciation will be a lot less. Fewer electronic controls on these so less to go wrong. Rust can be a problem though, especially on front wings, so good inspection necessary.

Thanks for 'reliability' index, will go through that and should be of great assistance. A t the end of the day while I really like my cars and their extras, much of my driving is taxiing the family around (for free). And yeah have thought about putting him in the boot and herself on the roof rack from time to time !!

Advertisement