Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing exams

Options
  • 26-11-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm a first year and my elective's not looking to positive, mainly since I never really went... If I fail do I have to repeat/pick another elective or is it ok as long as I pass my other 5?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno

But I wanna hijack your thread: if a person fails a final year module, do they still get to repeat in the next semester, ie. fail at Christmas, repeat at summer

Anyone know? Coulda sworn I was told/read that if you fail in final year you have to repeat the module/pay fees, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

KangoSkank wrote: »
    I'm a first year and my elective's not looking to positive, mainly since I never really went... If I fail do I have to repeat/pick another elective or is it ok as long as I pass my other 5?

Thanks Guys

It depends on what you get, if you get an E (just below a passing grade) an your other grades are good enough you can pass with a compensation..if all your grades are poor you'll have to repeat the module but as it's an elective you'll get to pick another subject. If you pass though your grade will be capped. That means if you get an A in the repeat it will show up as a D+, it wont matter for you in first year but will effect your GPA from next year if you're in arts or anywhere else that takes 2nd year GPA into account.

As for you Dave, just don't fail ;) I imagine it will be business as usual paying 200 to repeat in the next semester but no idea what happens if you fail one next semester..

Brimmy wrote: »
    As for you Dave, just don't fail ;) I imagine it will be business as usual paying 200 to repeat in the next semester but no idea what happens if you fail one next semester..

That's the plan! :D Just a bit nervous about my Comp Sci modules... ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Dave! wrote: »
    That's the plan! :D Just a bit nervous about my Comp Sci modules... ugh...

Has to be foundations of computing? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Dunno

But I wanna hijack your thread: if a person fails a final year module, do they still get to repeat in the next semester, ie. fail at Christmas, repeat at summer

Anyone know? Coulda sworn I was told/read that if you fail in final year you have to repeat the module/pay fees, etc.

One of last years final year students was on the radio recently complaining that he failed 1 subject in the summer and was forced to pay registration fees and repeat fees just to repeat that subject the next year.

Doesn't really help you, just thought I'd throw that out there :p
    KangoSkank wrote: »

Thanks Guys

If you fail you have to repeat it in the summer, you can choose to drop it and take another elective, but that'll probably double the fee for your repeats as opposed to you just resiting the originally failed subject and paying the standard €220 or whatever it is.

• Advertisement

Has to be foundations of computing? :(
    Yep! Program Construction also... have the oral for that next Friday. At least I've no more essays to be doin!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, I was convinced I'd failed Foundations of Computing, because I'd only turned up to about 3 lectures (Franz at 9am is too much for the soul to handle) and hated the subject with a fiery passion - but I ended up getting just under 60% in the end. You'll be fine Dave :)

Meh, I was convinced I'd failed Foundations of Computing, because I'd only turned up to about 3 lectures (Franz at 9am is too much for the soul to handle) and hated the subject with a fiery passion - but I ended up getting just under 60% in the end. You'll be fine Dave :)

We have joe for it. That makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster have mercy on your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster have mercy on your soul.

Rem for president!

• Advertisement

Yep! Program Construction also... have the oral for that next Friday. At least I've no more essays to be doin!

Program Construction - when you're right you're right. But in Foundations even when you're right you're still wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Wait if i fail an exam at christmas say chemistry molecular world and i repeat the exam in the second semester do i have to pay some sort of fee?

Yes, about 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

k cause i thought u only had to pay to repeat electives not core subjects

Advertisement