Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"New Car" troubles

Options
  • 26-11-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Not a really major problem but was wondering if somebody could shed some light as I really don't have a clue and think I’m being taken advantage of.

Bought my first car a 2003 with very low mileage only weeks ago, which was lying up for almost a year. Had it fully serviced any everything was ship shape until last week.

My indicators started acting up. First one, then them both and finally tonight it seems that the right one is not functioning at all as of the drive home. The left appears to be working fine.

It seemed when I first noticed it it was only once in a blue moon and I though it just seemed to happen when the car was cold. When it heated up it was fine. For a couple of days it went back to normal PWO. Now it’s just the right turn indicator not working.
    If I hold it to the right a little it works but if I fully engage it it wont work without a lot of jockeying around. Its unsafe and I have to get it sorted. Just want to be sure that it’s as the mechanic says.

Just wondering if somebody can clarify or help diagnose what the problem is.

Brought it into my own mechanic and he just said it was an indicator switch that was needed and said it would be over €450 to get the part and get it working again. As its sold as a whole unit and not just the switch.

Is it anything else it could be before I shell out the big bucks (I’m a poor student <€100 a week) and really don’t want to be shafted if there’s a simple solution.

Thanks for the help in advance

Stiofan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would imagine an easier solution to the 450 would be to ring breakers yards find the part used. As for the actuall fault i don't know, but there are ALWAYS ways of getting things cheaper, always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What make/model is it? Is it a Hyundai Coupe by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

No its a peugeot.

And problem with getting it second hand is that apparently the switch is connected to the airbag and steering wheel controls. I asked the mechanic and he said its usually not intact if its bought second hand as 'only a mechanic would know how to take it out'

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Go to a main dealer and ask for an estimate for the repair. Even if you dont get it fixed by them at least you will know whats wrong.
    All garages are screaming for work at the moment so dont be afraid to ask for a big discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just googled Peugeot indicator switch and came across this - might be helpful?

• Advertisement

No its a peugeot.

And problem with getting it second hand is that apparently the switch is connected to the airbag and steering wheel controls. I asked the mechanic and he said its usually not intact if its bought second hand as 'only a mechanic would know how to take it out'

I haven't seen this problem before. What model Peugeot is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Darragh29 wrote: »

This was a problem on Citroens so cant see Peugoets being any differant as they use the same com 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm pretty sure it's a known fault with the early 307 and certain cars had it replaced under warranty either here or in UK.
    Unfortunately if it acts up out of warranty it's not cheap to fix as you found out.

Google 307 indicator COMM 2000 for further info.

Thanks for all the replies folks i'll have a good look through the website tomorrow and see if theres anything i can try before i bring it to the peugeot dealer
    Darragh29 wrote: »

Its a 206 2003. You sound like your in the business, by any chance would you know if the switch is sold in one part? or only with an airbag connection for €250 as ive been told. Then labour brings it up to over the €450.

Appreciate it

Thanks for all the replies folks i'll have a good look through the website tomorrow and see if theres anything i can try before i bring it to the peugeot dealer

Its a 206 2003. You sound like your in the business, by any chance would you know if the switch is sold in one part? or only with an airbag connection for €250 as ive been told. Then labour brings it up to over the €450.

Appreciate it

I haven't seen this particular issue before OP but someone on here will have an idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

It is sold as one part not sure how much for the part but €200 euro to fit is daylight robbery.:eek:
    Remove the steering cowls,the steering wheel a few plugs one bolt and thats it one hour max.

Found one on Ebay for €170 was half thinkin if i pick one of them up is there anybody around here who has a garage and wants to fit it for me for €100 beans i could arrange something.

Want to try avoid doing it myself, those old memories of those bikes i used to take apart and them never being the same again comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Check the price with a garage up north, I've been pricing service parts for my seat leon and they are around 50% cheaper from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've worked as a mechanic in a Peugeot garage and these are regularly going on the 307 and the 206. The biggest problem is that it needs to be plugged in to the peugeot computer to do this so thats why your quote might be expensive. I can tell you that it can be up to an hours work to replace one of these but certainly no more than that.

Q2002 wrote: »
    I've worked as a mechanic in a Peugeot garage and these are regularly going on the 307 and the 206. The biggest problem is that it needs to be plugged in to the peugeot computer to do this so thats why your quote might be expensive. I can tell you that it can be up to an hours work to replace one of these but certainly no more than that.

Which one did you work in and how much would the same job cost in your old place? I'd prefer an autherised peugeot dealer to do it if it cost roughly the same as my local mechanic.

I've looked into getting it online but its too much hassle and is almost the same price with postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It was a garage down the country. I honestly don't know how much it'd cost because we done them under warranty. We were two a week at one stage, and the owner loved it because peugeot allotted and paid for two hours labour for what was essentially a 40 minute job. If you're in Dublin I'd go to gowrans. They are on the naas rd and are the main garage for peugeot in Ireland and ya couldn't ask for better. It might be slightly more espensive than a local mechanic but it's worth it for the peace of mind and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Q2002 wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin I'd go to gowrans. They are on the naas rd and are the main garage for peugeot in Ireland and ya couldn't ask for better. It might be slightly more espensive than a local mechanic but it's worth it for the peace of mind and quality.

If you mean the Peugeot/Citroën building on the Naas Road beside Köping Volvo then don't bother. They are the distributor and are not open to the public for general servicing/repairs. You need a Peugeot Dealer.

I agree with others, it could well be the Comm unit.

Advertisement