Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House

• 26-11-2008 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi!!

I dont think this is the right place to post this - but I didnt really know where to post it.

Need some advise - and decided to come back on (havent been here in awhile) and ask for opinions.

I have my own house which I bought just after Christmas last year - I had applied for the mortgage well before then - just to see would it be possible and for how much. Anyhow, I was approved and bought a three bed detached in Navan. I rented it out for awhile - but have been living in it for the past three months.

My problem - My boyfriend of nine months has asked me to move into his apartment with him. Bear in mind I love it - its a penthouse in Malahide with views to die for. Now we both stay in either his or mine every night anyway so thats not a problem. The problem is I dont know whether to give up my house and sell or keep it and rent it out.

I wont move in with my bf unless he lets me pay half the rent - now I can afford to pay him rent and keep the house. But keeping the house and renting it out is alot of work - meaning the upkeep and landlady duties I would have to do. My question is - is it worth the hassle - or should I sell, Im a bit worried about this in the current market.

My bf wants to put his apartment in my name too - so I dont know what to do - two places is alot of work, but I want to do the best for both of us!!!

Any opinion would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

its very hard to sell now,id go for renting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

The way things are right now I would hang onto the house and try and rent it. Also you never know what will happen between you and the bf 9 months is not really that long a time. How would you feel if you sell the house and then a few months down the line you split up (hopefully ye wont). As they say you never really know someone untill you live with them.

how about those agencies that maintain rented out properties? a very good option if you want to avoid the hassle of bein landlady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Whether you wanted to sell or not I doubt very much that you could with the current state of this country!
    Best to rent for now, it would probably better in the long run giving you more time to see if things work out with your b/f :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

As above i think you should rent it. You would prob lose a lot if you try sell it now & maybe you might wanna move to navan in few years.

Once you get good tenants & the house in good order then it shouldnt be too much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Rent it. You're going to find it very hard to sell anything now for the first reason. Second you're going to sustain a loss on your own house too. Third it gives you some safety in the event that you break up. Fourth, get an estate agent to rent it on your behalf if you don't want to do the work yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ja_2012

HI
    I was in your position last year . I rented out my house and to be honest its nat so bas I am lucky in the fact that I have nice tennants who cause me no trouble .
    If I were you I would rent it out .
    The market is poor at the moment and just in case things might not work out you have something to fall back on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But remember that if you rent you will have tax to pay on your rental income, as well as other costs such as registering with the PRTB, paying the NPPR 2nd home charge etc.

See http://www.irishlandlord.com/index.aspx?page=infocentre_article_view&id=34 for more info if you decide to become a 1st time landlady.

Advertisement