Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool fans outnumber utd?

• 26-11-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭

growing up in Ireland in the eighties fans generally supported either utd or Liverpool. Due to success Liverpool had the majority of support in the late eighties early nineties from then on utd have had great success and you would of had more utd fans.but since Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 everyone you talk to seems to be a Liverpool fan( even though utd have a greater recent success)and IMO greatly outnumber utd fans in Ireland this is also reflected in the Amount of hits and views in the utd and Liverpool gossip threads. Or maybe I'm completly wrong any opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a question that should be included on the next national census (I'm serious). The perverse obsession with British football teams in this country is a social situation that I find quite facinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can i ask wat the relationship between Pigman & Pigman II is please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lovers.

Purely professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Purely professional lovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

They are Homosexual negros from space!

It more of a case of casual and consensual sex. There's no love there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pigman II wrote: »
    It's a question that should be included on the next national census (I'm serious). The perverse obsession with British football teams in this country is a social situation that I find quite facinating.

It's a lot less perverse than the people who constantly bemoan others for the clubs they follow.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can i ask wat the relationship between Pigman & Pigman II is please?

All of the above answers plus they are both brothers and Father and son.

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's a lot less perverse than the people who constantly bemoan others for the clubs they follow.

Still perverse nonetheless, and far more prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Not really, Irish cycling fans pay more attention to Spanish, French and Italian cycling than Irish cycling. They still cycle in Ireland and support Irish cyclists on teh big stage. Most Irish sports fans also follow at least one code of GAA and sometimes a team and a county or even the counties of their parents. I play more football than I watch. I watch more LOI football than I do British football. I follow Liverpool. Nothing perverse about it. Football fans all over Europe have an interest in the English league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

but since Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 everyone you talk to seems to be a Liverpool fan

Who have you been talking to :eek:

I would have thought (in Ireland) United fans outnumber fans of all other PL teams put together. Is not even close IMO... (not that it matters)

I see much, much more United jerseys floating about than any other, and its usually very hard to get a seat in a pub when a United game is on.

tbh I don't think 'Pool would have gained too many fans from their CL win just yet... I think people tend to follow what team friends/ family support moreso than anything else. And United have garnered huge support from their success over the last 15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So.... because I'm Irish, I should automiacially like lrish football? I'll support whatever I like and enjoy watching and not what some half-arsed society scoeity dictates I should support, thank you very much.

This idea that you should like/support somthing because it's Irish is what I find quite fascinating. Surely, by that yardstick, we should be supporting Colm and Jim Jim?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

oobydooby wrote: »
    Not really, Irish cycling fans pay more attention to Spanish, French and Italian cycling than Irish cycling. They still cycle in Ireland and support Irish cyclists on teh big stage. Most Irish sports fans also follow at least one code of GAA and sometimes a team and a county or even the counties of their parents. I play more football than I watch. I watch more LOI football than I do British football. I follow Liverpool. Nothing perverse about it. Football fans all over Europe have an interest in the English league.

Theres a massive difference between paying attention to something and claiming undying love for something. I genuinely don't get how an Irish person can claim a genuine connection with a foreign club. And before someone complains about the thread going on this direction, it was realistically never going any other way.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So.... because I'm Irish, I should automiacially like lrish football? I'll support whatever I like and enjoy watching and not what some half-arsed society scoeity dictates I should support, thank you very much.

This idea that you should like/support somthing because it's Irish is what I find quite fascinating. Surely, by that yardstick, we should be supporting Colm and Jim Jim?

Well it is moreso based on the idea that football fans enjoy live football. Not screaming and cheering at a television screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

DSB wrote: »
    Well it is moreso based on the idea that football fans enjoy live football. Not screaming and cheering at a television screen.

Exactly that's why over 10,000 of us cross the Irish sea each week

Call yourself best poster do ya!!! Image fail!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

And before someone complains about the thread going on this direction, it was realistically never going any other way.

Why? Whats the obsession with caring who other people support or what they do with their time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

refail:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

They should also include the question: How often do you visit the mainland?

• Advertisement

Determination to get the quick comeback to victory though imo. :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Determination to get the quick comeback to victory though imo. :)

LOL, just havin the craic my man!

KevIRL wrote: »
    refail:D

D'oh!

Theres a massive difference between paying attention to something and claiming undying love for something.
    I don't doubt it. It's not an argument I particularly care about. I'm probably not as obsessive in my interests as other fans. I've seen your posts on this topic before, you have a strong position and you argue it well.
    I genuinely don't get how an Irish person can claim a genuine connection with a foreign club.
    I'm sure I won't be able to explain it to you, not that it really matters. How about the cycling analogy I used? Or more facetiously, what about the language Irish people choose to communicate with?

That is a very small percentage to be honest. I'd imagine there are at least 1 million people in this country who actively claim to passionately support a foreign club.
    copacetic wrote: »
    Why? Whats the obsession with caring who other people support or what they do with their time?

I didn't start the thread, I can sleep at night whether people support Man Utd, Wexford Youths, or Borussia Dortmund. But this thread was made about why people support the team they do.

I don't doubt it. It's not an argument I particularly care about. I'm probably not as obsessive in my interests as other fans. I've seen your posts on this topic before, you have a strong position and you argue it well.

I'm sure I won't be able to explain it to you, not that it really matters. How about the cycling analogy I used? Or more facetiously, what about the language Irish people choose to communicate with?

Well I don't think many Irish people would claim a strong connection to any particular foreign cyclist, and I can't imagine them ever supporting them ahead of an Irish cyclist. I love watching football from everywhere too like, and the Irish language point is a valid one but doesn't really have much relevance in this topic. The English language was pretty much forced upon the nation, supporting English clubs is a hobby and a luxury. Totally different.

I didn't start the thread, I can sleep at night whether people support Man Utd, Wexford Youths, or Borussia Dortmund. But this thread was made about why people support the team they do.

No, it wasn't, it was about how many people support one team over another. You would have thought it would have become an argument between those teams supporters.

Instead it is hijacked straight away by the lunatic fringe. It's hilarious, trying to make out that supporters of english teams are 'west brits' or less Irish than you are. The fact you think that this was obviously going to happen is even more worrying.

Plenty of people would say the same about you supporting a 'foreign' game being played in Ireland at all. The irony is painful.

No, it wasn't, it was about how many people support one team over another. You would have think it would have become an argument between those teams supporters.

Instead it is hijacked straight away by the lunatic fringe. It's hilarious, trying to make out that supporters of english teams are 'west brits' or less Irish than you are.

Plenty of people would say the same about you supporting a 'foreign' game being played in Ireland at all. The irony is painful.

Nearly all sports played here are foreign to be fair, and I've never heard anyone call anyone less Irish than anyone on here. It is just a ridiculous trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That is a very small percentage to be honest. I'd imagine there are at least 1 million people in this country who actively claim to passionately support a foreign club.

In fairness, when it costs 200/300 euro a trip, it's not something you can do every weekend. And I do go see my local team live every now and again. At the Olympiastadion.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    In fairness, when it costs 200/300 euro a trip

Thats because these place are in entirely different countries. You're only serving to strengthen my argument as opposed to weakening it.

• Advertisement

Nearly all sports played here are foreign to be fair, and I've never heard anyone call anyone less Irish than anyone on here. It is just a ridiculous trend.

What about supporting your local parish football or hurling team rather than a imported game like soccer? How can any Irish person support an foreign game brought here by English soldiers and driven by the english media, only really popular in the Pale?

Well I don't think many Irish people would claim a strong connection to any particular foreign cyclist

No, like in most sports it tends to be an admiration for skill and technique and respect for dedication and commitment rather than the blind worshipping which goes on in soccer. It's a strange phenomenon that seems unique to soccer. I've nothing really to say about it that hasn't been said 1000 times. Regardless, I still follow Liverpool. I don't really care why.

data-headesk.gif

insp_logic_preview.jpg

You know, a search for "star trek fail pics" is probably time much better spend than reading this thread.

I dunno, I kinda like where it is going..

Lloyd, can I change my vote:pac:

What about supporting your local parish football or hurling team rather than a imported game like soccer? How can any Irish person support an foreign game brought here by English soldiers and driven by the english media, only really popular in the Pale?
    I don't enjoy hurling or GAA to be honest and have given both a shot, if I did however have an interest in supporting hurling though I'd be supporting Dublin, and not Kilkenny because they play at a higher standard.
    No, like in most sports it tends to be an admiration for skill and technique and respect for dedication and commitment rather than the blind worshipping which goes on in soccer. It's a strange phenomenon that seems unique to soccer. I've nothing really to say about it that hasn't been said 1000 times. Regardless, I still follow Liverpool. I don't really care why.

I don't think its unique to soccer, most popular team sports have it. GAA, hurling and rugby all have large amounts of diehards in this country.

• Advertisement

Lloyd, can I change my vote:pac:

That depends. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

funny-pictures-rabbit-eats-thread.jpg

I don't think its unique to soccer, most popular team sports have it. GAA, hurling and rugby all have large amounts of diehards in this country.

Fans of these sports are usually from the community the teams represent. Totally different to EPL soccer. Also, fans of these sports are often more 'balanced' in their views than soccer fans, even LOI ones. Good skill from an opponent is often admired. As a neutral I prefer being in Croke Park (for a GAA match!) than being in Tolka Park. I guess if I passionately supported an LOI team or even a GAA county my experience would be different.

Fans of these sports are usually from the community the teams represent.

Exactly. The second half of the post was barely even necessary after this because you just nailed it right on the head.

growing up in Ireland in the eighties fans generally supported either utd or Liverpool. Due to success Liverpool had the majority of support in the late eighties early nineties from then on utd have had great success and you would of had more utd fans.but since Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 everyone you talk to seems to be a Liverpool fan( even though utd have a greater recent success)and IMO greatly outnumber utd fans in Ireland this is also reflected in the Amount of hits and views in the utd and Liverpool gossip threads. Or maybe I'm completly wrong any opinions

READ THE OP!

lads, why are yous derailing this thread with an Irish League Fan -vs- English League Fan debate?

• Advertisement

READ THE OP!

lads, why are yous derailing this thread with an Irish League Fan -vs- English League Fan debate?

This is an excellent question imo.

plus a h-aon

READ THE OP!

There are pretty strong links between the OP's post and what is now being discussed. I know it isn't really completely on topic but it isn't exactly too far off either. And to be honest, how far could a discussion on that post have gone on for? Irish football fans support successful teams, Chelsea fans are becoming more and more common among kids. Man City will probably be the trend of the future.

There are pretty strong links between the OP's post and what is now being discussed. I know it isn't really completely on topic but it isn't exactly too far off either. And to be honest, how far could a discussion on that post have gone on for? Irish football fans support successful teams, Chelsea fans are becoming more and more common among kids. Man City will probably be the trend of the future.

lies

There are pretty strong links between the OP's post and what is now being discussed. I know it isn't really completely on topic but it isn't exactly too far off either.

he wanted to discuss who had more fans in Ireland, Liverpool or Man Utd.

How is ANY Irish league club etc etc relevant to that?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lies

Of course there are. The link is that the original poster is suggesting that Irish people will continue to follow the successful teams and the few posts after backed that idea, referring to the idea as perverse, the thread then progressed to whether the idea was perverse or not.

Irish league

Linfield, Glentoran and Distillery?

Nothing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool fans like to nater on and on and on so hits on message board threads will be higher. There may have been a residue from the 70s/80s that got reawoken first with the "Plastic Treble" then the CL win, dads who had drifted away from the game as thier team dropped out of contention suddenly sat down (yes,in front of the TV) and forced thier sons to pay attention. My neighbour has an 8 year old son he is a Liverpool fan this I know cos when he mother puts out the washing a Liverpool bedspead is on ther line, now if you are 8 Liverpool is not the obvious team to latch onto so I reckon its down to his dad or even grandad.

Mike

growing up in Ireland in the eighties fans generally supported either utd or Liverpool. Due to success Liverpool had the majority of support in the late eighties early nineties from then on utd have had great success and you would of had more utd fans.

This part of the opening post was always going to ensure the thread went a different route than just 'no Liverpool have more fans' 'no United do'.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans like to nater on and on and on so hits on message board threads will be higher. There may have been a residue from the 70s/80s that got reawoken first with the "Plastic Treble" then the CL win, dads who had drifted away from the game as thier team dropped out of contention suddenly sat down (yes,in front of the TV) and forced thier sons to pay attention. My neighbour has an 8 year old son he is a Liverpool fan this I know cos when he mother puts out the washing a Liverpool bedspead is on ther line, now if you are 8 Liverpool is not the obvious team to latch onto so I reckon its down to his dad or even grandad.

Mike

8 might have meant that he was just getting into football around the time of the Champions League win though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement