Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool fans outnumber utd?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lads, why are yous derailing this thread with an Irish League Fan -vs- English League Fan debate?

No offence, but do you have an opinion on the OP or are you just acting the railway police?

OP suggested that success was the basis for kids choosing their EPL teams. I've no idea, but it seems reasonable. It's interesting that the Utd v Liverpool thing predates SKY and I guess most of us have strong family connections with these two cities. They say 1 in 3 people in Liverpool is Irish. I guess most of us follow English teams for that reason but it doesn't apply to me even though I do have family from Liverpool. The topic has my eyes bleeding with boredom but the whole LOI vs EPL debate is interesting and relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DSB wrote: »
    Thats because these place are in entirely different countries. You're only serving to strengthen my argument as opposed to weakening it.

Nope - you asked why people who passionately support a club only go see them live once a year, and I pointed out the obvious. How you missed it in the first place, I don't know.

For the sake of being on topic: I always felt that Man U fans outnumbered Pool fans, even back in the 80s, but I've no idea why.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Nope - you asked why people who passionately support a club only go see them live once a year, and I pointed out the obvious. How you missed it in the first place, I don't know.

I didn't miss it. I got exactly what you were saying. But guess why I go to my local gym and bookies instead of the 1s in Liverpool and Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

oobydooby wrote: »
    and I guess most of us have strong family connections with these two cities. They say 1 in 3 people in Liverpool is Irish. I guess most of us follow English teams for that reason.

No more to do with the fact that English media has always had a big influence here.

And as for myself I have no family connections with London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kopinbloom.jpg

So you Oirish Liverpool "fans" out there, are you English or Scouse?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

So anyway, to get back to the question : which team is more loved in Ireland? Is it Manchester Uniteds or Liverpool?

BTW, I won't try to promote the LOI experience here but since a lot of Irish footy fans have wanderlust and enjoy a w/e away watching the football could I recomended the experienced offered by the aforementioned Hertha Berlin. I reckon you could do the whole daytrip for €100-150. For this you get to see a good game in a lovely stadium and as a bonus you can spend a few hours seeing an interesting city that isn't an industrial wasteland full of local staring at you with a combination of polite bemusement and silent amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

OP - why not create a poll to see how many users of this forum prefer Liverpool or Manchester United? My guess is 60%-40% for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

So you Oirish Liverpool "fans" out there, are you English or Scouse?:)

I think this 'Oirish' thing that LOI """"""fans"""""" (see we can emphasise the word too!!!!) seem to say is possibly the least funny/ witty thing I have ever read on boards, or indeed any forum. Every time I read it I cringe and wonder why... WHY do people think the use of it is funny?

This should be similar to mentioning Hitler/ Nazi etc... in that the use of it immediately loses the argument. Automatic FAIL

Back OT ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

From what I remember, I would have thought Manu and Liverpool were pretty equally supported in the 80s here. Ditto now.

This is just empty, meaningless conjecture of course. Pretty much like (unless somebody has actual stats) any other opinion on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

DSB wrote: »
    That is a very small percentage to be honest. I'd imagine there are at least 1 million people in this country who actively claim to passionately support a foreign club.

Yeah it's hardly the same 10,000 each week.

Carturo wrote: »

They rotate in order to feel closer to Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Carturo wrote: »

I got that but still don't see how it in any way affects the percentage of Irish fans at matches on any given weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pigman II wrote: »
    They rotate in order to feel closer to Rafa.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

had no idea when writing this post it would go this way it was a straight forward post about Liverpool and utd supporters. Can't understand people criticizing for supporting a "foreign game" I have traveled to Liverpool for the past 20 years but have played gaa for 24 years and been secretary of my local club for 5 years have a great passion for both sorry if this contradicts some peoples morals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

To answer your question Liverpool fans in Dublin outnumber fans of any other club, bar far, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pigman II wrote: »
    It's a question that should be included on the next national census (I'm serious). The perverse obsession with British football teams in this country is a social situation that I find quite facinating.

I'd be for that if the next question was.

Q. Do you really give a shít what Pigman II thinks about you and what team you support?

Boggles wrote: »
    I'd be for that if the next question was.

Q. Do you really give a shít what Pigman II thinks about you and what team you support?

It'd make more sense to put that in a pilot survey prior to the census itself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy wrote: »
    To answer your question Liverpool fans in Dublin outnumber fans of any other club, bar far, imo.

I would agree with this,don't no about the rest of the country.

Can we leave the LOL thing now as its off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

growing up in Ireland in the eighties fans generally supported either utd or Liverpool. Due to success Liverpool had the majority of support in the late eighties early nineties from then on utd have had great success and you would of had more utd fans.but since Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 everyone you talk to seems to be a Liverpool fan( even though utd have a greater recent success)and IMO greatly outnumber utd fans in Ireland this is also reflected in the Amount of hits and views in the utd and Liverpool gossip threads. Or maybe I'm completly wrong any opinions

Two gross exaggerations there.
    Maybe the Liverpool threads get more hits because Liverpool fans are more likely to be workshy layabouts on the internet all day. ;)

(and no, I'm not a United fan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool fanz R Stealing Ur Hubcapz

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was there not a thread done ealier in the year on here about the teams you support.

Any ways the numbers between Liverpool and Man Utd fans here in Ireland are about the same and all down to fathers, grandfathers and maybe who is winning.

I started because here in Derry when i was younger we did not have a local team to go follow each week so only football to follow was on the tv.

I know a guy who went from been a Man Utd fan to Blackburn back to Utd then to Arsenal all because they were winning the league, and just wanted to support who ever was winning.

horseflesh wrote: »
    Two gross exaggerations there.
    Maybe the Liverpool threads get more hits because Liverpool fans are more likely to be workshy layabouts on the internet all day. ;)

(and no, I'm not a United fan)

Also seems to be a lot of none Liverpool fans commenting on the Liverpool thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Also seems to be a lot of none Liverpool fans commenting on the Liverpool thread

Team threads are not just for fans of that club.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Team threads are not just for fans of that club.

I know and i like it when its like a normal discusson but not those who come in to stir things up, just gets dumb then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

this is also reflected in the Amount of hits and views in the utd and Liverpool gossip threads

More to complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

MY GOD

Back from the Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I feel that (unfortunatly) there is more liverpool fans as of late. For me anyway I always seem to be surrounded by them. But im very confident that this isn't the same for everyone, it just is for me. I really think a poll needs to be done as I'd love to know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who gives a sh*t.

Advertisement