Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to pay the mods

Options
  • 26-11-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Yes mods, love them or hate them they give up many hours of their day for little to no reward, is it time to start paying them * ? boards being a huge multi-million pound business surely it's time to think about it, now granted there's probably not enough money around to pay very much but even something small would be a start, even 2 euro a week would see a mod enjoying a magnum at the end of a hard week, I don't come here often so sorry if it's been debated to death, if so please delete, and no I'm not a mod

* Calina not included
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

what? and have the "we pay your wages, how dare you ban me" argument

No thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

hmm, well lets even say that there's about 20 CMods. Multiplied by 52 weeks a year is 1040, and then to multiply by €2 is approx €2100 for just cmods alone. Now if there's 100 moderators, thats another 10 grand straight off the hat. That would be €12k to €15k in the year + probably another €3k for human resources. IMO, this is impractical.

Also, whilst they do a brilliant job, i dont know how beneficial it would be. But I am all in favour of treating them well, maybe like a christmas dinner or something for moderators. because undoubtedly the job they do is fantastic for the most part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There is an endless supply of mods. Why should boards pay for something that it can get for free ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nah, we don't want money for this, just the love and respect of posters would be thanks enough.

Feck it, that'll never happen, please pay my wages to...

There's no way in hell I would accept payment as a moderator. Bribes, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ponster wrote: »
    There is an endless supply of mods. Why should boards pay for something that it can get for free ?
    you mean the way boards.ie has an endless supply of subscriptions, but still sells them for 50 euro a pop?

Im broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

MooseJam wrote: »
    they give up many hours of their day for little to no reward

That's their business. It's not like they're forced to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Marksie wrote: »
    what? and have the "we pay your wages, how dare you ban me" argument

No thanks :D
    Ponster wrote: »
    Zaph wrote: »
    Nah, we don't want money for this, just the love and respect of posters would be thanks enough.

Feck it, that'll never happen, please pay my wages to...
    There's no way in hell I would accept payment as a moderator. Bribes, maybe.

LOL at these guys trying to come across like we dont get paid already.

Good work fellas :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Up til I lost my thanks button, I'd been paying boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope this doesn't affect my off-shore tax status.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOL at these guys trying to come across like we dont get paid already.

Good work fellas :D

Sssshhh don't let them know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's not like they're forced to do it.

Says who?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are so many downsides to this suggestion:

* It ruins the whole "i dont get paid to mod" angle
    * Snyper could no longer tell us that he would love to slide into Dudess pyjamas without Dudess making a claim for workplace sexual harrassment. **
    * there could be a boards.ie tribunal every week down the LRC when its unearthed that Dublin based mods are being paid better than those based "down the country"

On the upside, boards.ie could make claim that they provided employment for 200 people!

but then the LRC would be involved again when it is discovered they are on less than the minimum wage! :p

** may not have ever happened

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

am a mod on another forum, as long as i dont get the feeling hard done by, why you picking on me PMs within a few minutes, then i'm happy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hmm, well lets even say that there's about 20 CMods. Multiplied by 52 weeks a year is 1040, and then to multiply by €2 is approx €2100 for just cmods alone. Now if there's 100 moderators, thats another 10 grand straight off the hat. That would be €12k to €15k in the year + probably another €3k for human resources. IMO, this is impractical.

Also, whilst they do a brilliant job, i dont know how beneficial it would be. But I am all in favour of treating them well, maybe like a christmas dinner or something for moderators. because undoubtedly the job they do is fantastic for the most part.
    We have well in excess of 600 mods.

Its a nice idea but its not only impractical it would be insulting when we offer each mod 65c for a weeks work.

We do occasionally have mod-beers where we put a card behind the bar, its not much but its about all the site can afford at the moment! :)
    I like to think the mods have other reasons for doing their bit and we try to keep their work load to a minimum... I think most of them are glad to see something like Boards in independant hands rather then with someone like eircom.... :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote: »
    it would be insulting when we offer each mod 65c for a weeks work.

There's a bloody recession on here. That 65c could stop my house and my ferrari from being repossessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Its a nice idea but its not only impractical it would be insulting when we offer each mod 65c for a weeks work.

600 people getting paid 65c a week? You'll probably be the state's biggest employer in a few months as Subprimageddon takes hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

javaboy wrote: »
    600 people getting paid 65c a week? You'll probably be the state's biggest employer in a few months as Subprimageddon takes hold.

Stephen. It likes to be referred to as Stephen.

I'll pay all the mods 65 cent this week if you want.

/works out how much that's worth

So yeah, 5 cent for all the mods this week only!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

janeybabe wrote: »
    Stephen. It likes to be referred to as Stephen.

The Irish Recession is called Stephen. The global recession is Subprimageddon. It's like Stephen's daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

We do occasionally have mod-beers where we put a card behind the bar, its not much but its about all the site can afford at the moment! :)
    I like to think the mods have other reasons for doing their bit and we try to keep their work load to a minimum... I think most of them are glad to see something like Boards in independant hands rather then with someone like eircom.... :)

DeV.
    As much as you say that....DeV look I need a job. Just pay me, don't tell the others. I'll keep it quiet, I swear!! JUST PAY ME SOMETHING>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

DeV.
    Note Eircom Ad. how the Hippy people have changed :)

Boards will never pay mods. When the time comes, it will be fiscal enough to hire a full time mod to deal with issues. DeV has said it before and him lying on a beach reaping the rewards is very cool, if people want to help him and the Admins do this, more cool.

They used to hate Eircom and the Golden Spider was a Joke. How times have changed.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Boards will never pay mods. When the time comes, it will be fiscal enough to hire a full time mod to deal with issues. DeV has said it before and him lying on a beach reaping the rewards is very cool, if people want to help him and the Admins do this, more cool.

They used to hate Eircom and the Golden Spider was a Joke. How times have changed.

Indeed.

You betray yore join date with such talk :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

We have well in excess of 600 mods...
    DeV.
    That's about the size of it.
    Are you still here?

Nerin wrote: »

One day the little social groups on boards will realise they have legs and then they will cost out a board for chatting on. It is what the admins like.

vBulletin cost about $180 Sure you could run a whole Photo site on that.

One group of people could become many. And they could make money from it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nerin wrote: »
    Don't mention the "mistake", it could happen again. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Indeed.

If ericom wants to fund it's biggest detractors on the internet so that people can still complain about them and more people will going forward then that is their screw up.

And if you don't get the irony of this site winning that award then that's your malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You only need to look in a certain topic in AH to see Boards doesnt need to pay its mods!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If ericom wants to fund it's biggest detractors on the internet so that people can still complain about them and more people will going forward then that is their screw up.

And if you don't get the irony of this site winning that award then that's your malfunction.

What if the site proclaims to hate them? How does that calculate?

I remember the first Golden Spider. I remember a few after that. Oh how they were "nothing" Go look for DeVore Quotes?

Don't get me wrong. Looking into a mirror can sometomes be more than we thought.

The first Spider was cool though. It was bought early Internet style. And how the rest were just "bought" were golden thoughts :)

How much for a table there?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

What if the site proclaims to hate them? How does that calculate?

I remember the first Golden Spider. I remember a few after that. Oh how they were "nothing" Go look for DeVore Quotes?

Don't get me wrong. Looking into a mirror can sometomes be more than we thought.

The first Spider was cool though. It was bought early Internet style. And how the rest were just "bought" were golden thoughts :)

How much for a table there?

:pac:

You remember? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think most mods do it to either help improve boards in general, or the forums in particular (obviously that doesn't include all the mods who were sad little nerdy kids with no lives and who have grown up so bitter and twisted that all they live for is the thrill of banning people and having power over them, so that leaves what 2 maybe 3 mods?). As such I think most would prefer to see any money that was available going back into helping improve boards.

Oh, and maybe hiring a cleaner for the mod staff room, after a heavy night with all the coke and hookers the place gets a bit trashed.

Advertisement