Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to pay the mods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

stevenmu wrote: »
    Oh, and maybe hiring a cleaner for the mod staff room, after a heavy night with all the coke and hookers the place gets a bit trashed.

You are still bitching about that one time you sat in that 'wet spot'.

I laugh every time I see an eircom ad on the site and hope the admins are making them pay dearly.
    As for this golden spider, we the posters voted for it, we wanted it for our site, we made it happen
    and it would have been churlish of the Admins not to pick it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You are still bitching about that one time you sat in that 'wet spot'.
    I wouldn't have minded too much, but I'm pretty sure that was someones blood

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Money? Meh. I'd like my payment in kind, please. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

stevenmu wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded too much, but I'm pretty sure that was someones blood

Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DeVore wrote: »
    We do occasionally have mod-beers where we put a card behind the bar, its not much but its about all the site can afford at the moment! :)

It's enough.

epic nights they do be.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DeVore wrote: »
    We have well in excess of 600 mods.

600? I don't feel quite so special any more. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Zaph wrote: »
    600? I don't feel quite so special any more. :(

back in yore box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Unpaid labour scales better than paid labour and always will.

Unpaid labour requires people to have motives other than being paid, and the time to act upon it. Mods generally want boards to function (supplying the motive) and clearly the time, though no longer having that time is a common reason for resigning (myself for instance).

Similarly enough, headers indicate the site is run on Apache (unpaid labour) running on FreeBSD (unpaid labour) with mod_ssl (unpaid labour), OpenSSL (unpaid labour), PHP (unpaid labour) and mod_fastcgi (unpaid labour).

These work because people have reasons to want them to work (sometimes related to things they do get paid for, and sometimes not) so it makes sense for them to work on them. Same as with boards.

The methodology doesn't work for something that will only benefit one person or company (try asking people to build and run a website that will make you money and do nothing for them and see how far you get) but works extremely well when the people making the effort benefit themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fúck all that I'll whore for money!:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Talliesin wrote: »
    Unpaid labour scales better than paid labour and always will.

Unpaid labour requires people to have motives other than being paid, and the time to act upon it. Mods generally want boards to function (supplying the motive) and clearly the time, though no longer having that time is a common reason for resigning (myself for instance).

Similarly enough, headers indicate the site is run on Apache (unpaid labour) running on FreeBSD (unpaid labour) with mod_ssl (unpaid labour), OpenSSL (unpaid labour), PHP (unpaid labour) and mod_fastcgi (unpaid labour).

These work because people have reasons to want them to work (sometimes related to things they do get paid for, and sometimes not) so it makes sense for them to work on them. Same as with boards.

The methodology doesn't work for something that will only benefit one person or company (try asking people to build and run a website that will make you money and do nothing for them and see how far you get) but works extremely well when the people making the effort benefit themselves.

To summarise: The admins are tighter than a virgin's daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I get paid in chocolate and jaffa cakes and an endless supply of tea. Admins are fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

To summarise: The admins are tighter than a virgin's daughter.
    wait, she's not a virgin anymore. I have her virginity in my trousers.
    and now I have to pay a maintenance fee. Fecking rip-off Ireland. Back in my day, we just didn't get pregnant and that was that.
    No money left to pay the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

One day the little social groups on boards will realise they have legs and then they will cost out a board for chatting on. It is what the admins like.

vBulletin cost about $180 Sure you could run a whole Photo site on that.

One group of people could become many. And they could make money from it!
    Seeing people like you being site banned over and over again, re-regging, whining like a little bitch about how badly the site is run, being banned again, re-regging again and not seeing the irony in it and being banned yet again is payment enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There's a bloody recession on here. That 65c could stop my house and my ferrari from being repossessed.

65C is $1.54NZD. That's a lot of money here. It can buy you a big pie. I'll take it please!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I found an import-store here in south carolina that sells McVitties Milk Chocolate Digestives :) but they cost $5 a pack :( They also sell a disproportionate amount of Hello Kitty branded edibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fúck all that I'll whore for money!:D

you might be better off if you accept the 65c per week

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Pay mods?

lol no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We get percentage increases in line with those agreed at partnership, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The satisfaction of going on a power-trippy banning spree without having to justify anything a job well done is payment enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Mods do their job for the prestige and job satisfaction. They are far too altruistic to want payment for something they do to benefit the community as a whole.*

*Thats the public line they spew. Actually they do it cos of the groupies, and the kickback from the bar at the beers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think some of the cooler posters should be paid for their contributions, without them boards.ie wouldnt be as much fun.

*holds out half a Spar coffee cup with dirty hands*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If we got any kind of payment then it'd raise the whole problem of us being required to be around to "work". At the moment I moderate when I'm online any way and don't feel any need to be online more just to moderate a bunch of forums. If I won't be online for a few days then I won't be online for a few days and that's that. If this went from being something that I do in my spare time to something that I had to do each day for a set amount of time or at certain specified times then I'd quit to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

faceman wrote: »
    I think some of the cooler posters should be paid for their contributions, without them boards.ie wouldnt be as much fun.

*holds out half a Spar coffee cup with dirty hands*

SPAR! Luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Terry wrote: »
    Seeing people like you being site banned over and over again, re-regging, whining like a little bitch about how badly the site is run, being banned again, re-regging again and not seeing the irony in it and being banned yet again is payment enough for me.

If you can point out a post where I have said the site is run badly or whined about it, I'll give you 250 euro. Happily pay by the way! Somehow I think you won't be replying :)

I think boards is a very well run site and the mods do a thankless job.

People/sheep like you make the site worthwile for me. Reminds me to use my brain more.

1 <3 Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

600 mods :eek:

mods = ££££££££££

Think i will get in touch with Joe Soprano .He needz to know dis :cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont think its a thankless job, I have thanked them at every opportunity.

We accepted the award with good grace because it was voted on by the public. We refuse to enter the site into awards where we have to pay for admittance. Oh and we were invited by Daft to sit at their table.

Please refrain from personal abuse, it'll only lead to another reason for you to complain about the admins...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

MooseJam wrote: »
    Yes mods, love them or hate them they give up many hours of their day for little to no reward, is it time to start paying them * ? boards being a huge multi-million pound business surely it's time to think about it, now granted there's probably not enough money around to pay very much but even something small would be a start, even 2 euro a week would see a mod enjoying a magnum at the end of a hard week, I don't come here often so sorry if it's been debated to death, if so please delete, and no I'm not a mod

* Calina not included

Mods don't even get subscriber privileges, hardly liek they're going to get paid money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MooseJam wrote: »
    is it time to start paying them
    No. I vote we f**k the nice looking ones, though.

/edit
    Actually, maybe not. The rest may get jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

fonpokno wrote: »
    I get paid in chocolate and jaffa cakes and an endless supply of tea. Admins are fun! :)

If that's all CuLT gives you, then you need a new boyfriend! :P

I had no idea there were over 600 mods here! Paying them all would be a tad excessive. How about just paying the good ones, and leaving out the crap ones?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If that's all CuLT gives you, then you need a new boyfriend! :P

I had no idea there were over 600 mods here! Paying them all would be a tad excessive. How about just paying the good ones, and leaving out the crap ones?

Everyone else would just be jealous when they found out I was the only one getting paid.

Advertisement