Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Likes Corridor Crawlers

Options
  • 26-11-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Ah the glory of wide open spaces, glorious free roaming, I just finished Farcry2 and crysis warhead, both games were great but I especially like the free roaming aspect of it, since then I have played SAS secure tomorrow and Legendary, the former being total pants the later just playable, but they couldn't be more different as far as the scope of their worlds are concerned, in the latter yes you are in the middle of bustling New York but you literally cannot stray 10 feet from where the designer wants you to be, your way is blocked by fallen masonry or a car ffs, like I couldn't jump over the bonnet, I'm supposed to be some super soldier type but my way is blocked by a car bonnet, you could lay a pipe down the path you are supposed to follow in the game and it wouldn't be more than 50 feet wide, can't say I like it at all, what do you think of these types of games ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Ah, back in the late 90s when FPS's were known as "corridor shooters" - examples being Duke Nukem 3D, Sin, the early Medal of Honour games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The word is linear. I loved FEAR, COD2 & 4, Doom3, HL2 & episodes, these were all linear. It didn't spoil a game, but now I expect more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I liked all of those myself but cod4 it may have been linear but there was quite a bit of freedom, you could have a good walk about the place, but this one I'm playing now there's none of that, it's almost claustrophobic, it wouldn't surprise me if people had real difficulty playing it because of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think a bit of structure is essential for good storytelling. The Half Life series would have been entirely lessened by trying to make it open plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zillah wrote: »
    I think a bit of structure is essential for good storytelling. The Half Life series would have been entirely lessened by trying to make it open plan.
    Lessened?
    It wouldn't be Half-Life!

Now, Deus Ex otoh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Sometimes sand box open levels can get boring, Very boring detail and scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Its all about context imo. You can make good use out of either a linear or sandbox style of level development. If you want to really create a sense of urgency, it makes much more sense to use a linear style to give the player a real sense of progression. Its a good way of letting the player know that they're being brought somewhere. Obviously sand box games like farcry give you a greater sense of freedom so that you can just play however you want to play and try and be creative.

Both can be great and both can be utter rubbish.
    but you literally cannot stray 10 feet from where the designer wants you to be

you can't stay one foot from wherever the designer wants you to be no matter what the game is. Ever encounter a bug in the game where you move past the invisible wall thats meant to stop you from moving any further? That nonsensical limitless amount of empty space? Now thats true freedom!

Deus ex had aspects of freedom and linearity. Whilst you could often venture back or just pot about the place talking, riot prodding and getting drunk, there were parts that you were going through corridors and such. I think games like these that give you both (well) are the best to be honest.

Deus ex contained aspects of both

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

theres a game called corridor shooter. its a neverending corridor. it continously repeats itself over and over. sounds like your kinda game

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Last christmas i blew a $50 gamestop gift cert to get Hellgate: London. Then you find its really just a corridor shooter in every sense of the word. Worst $50 I never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I like Crysis' sandy-linear style. I know its classed a sandbox but it is still a bit linear too. Far Cry on the other hand is just sandy boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That game SAS Secure Tomorrow is linear in the worst sense of the word though. I mean, corridor shooters are fine once the context is right - maybe in a building, a space ship, what have you - but Secure Tomorrow is an incredibly linear game in an aesthetically open environment....that's budget game making for you. It's made by City Interactive who make loads of budget games, I've played pretty much all of their games and which each engine accquired, they release a rake of games all of which are more or less re-skins of the 1st one released. Some work betters then others though. Terrorist Takedown 2 was actually OK.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Linear doesnt mean bad. I hate when people automatically assume that because a game doesnt have a 50km map, its somewhow inferior. Look at what are considered to be the best fps's ever. The vast majority of them are very linear. And i know, games nowadays are more powerful, and can do more, but i would prefer a well done corridor shooter then a bland, repetitive sandbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Ever encounter a bug in the game where you move past the invisible wall thats meant to stop you from moving any further? That nonsensical limitless amount of empty space? Now thats true freedom!

I just hit that, playing Legendary, not a great game but it's ok, I really wanted to finish it though, now I'm pretty sure I'm 95% of the way through it and what happens - I'm supposed to take a lift to the top floor well the lift goes up but I don't - it just goes through me and I'm left in no mans land , there's no other way to complete the level - the game is broken how did that slip through, has anyone else played this ?

Advertisement