Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped and details taken by Guard - but not told what for??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anan1 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but studies suggest that it's talking on the phone, rather than holding the phone, that's dangerous.

I've seen people talking/holding a mobile to their ear while indicating and turning on a roundabout. I myself have a bluetooth system factory fitted on my car, the mobile answers itself after 3 rings, my mobile is usually in my jacket pocket on the rear seat. For me talking on the mobile is the same as talking to my passenger, can't see how talking on a bluetooth could be more dangerous than holding a phone to your ear whilst changing gears/indicating, turning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DonJose wrote: »
    can't see how talking on a bluetooth could be more dangerous than holding a phone to your ear whilst changing gears/indicating, turning!!!
    Where did that come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Anan1 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but studies suggest that it's talking on the phone, rather than holding the phone, that's dangerous.

No, I believe that studies have shown that talking on a hands-free is more dangerous than not talking, but I don't believe a hands-free has been shown to be as dangerous as a hand-held phone.

I'm sure changing CDs while driving, or yelling at the kids in the back seat, or eating a sandwich, or swigging down a latte are all more dangerous than just driving, but these are not banned, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I agree. Do gardai not have to advise someone under caution that they are being reported for an offence? If not it points to mickey mouse behaviour.

No they only have to caution you when arresting you and that goes for every police force in the world. If they are going to use something you say in evidence of a CRIMINAL trial you should also be cautioned. Remmeber tickets and most traffic offences are not criminal cases or convictions. Many years ago you needed to be 'orally warned' if they intended to issue a ticket, at another stage you knew becaus they wrote and handed you the ticket. Now the system is not to tell people and all tickets are posted out. Its considered more accountable a method as people generally refer to their garda friend so and so and the likes.
    I can't help think certain Garda are avoiding telling people whether they are getting points/fine at the roadside in order to avoid any protests or complaints from the offender. It smacks of them not having the cojones
    to inform people what will happen and taking the easy option and avoiding confrontation.

Yes thats it, were terrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I can't help think certain Garda are avoiding telling people whether they are getting points/fine at the roadside in order to avoid any protests or complaints from the offender. It smacks of them not having the cojones
    to inform people what will happen and taking the easy option and avoiding confrontation.

the gards that do this probably have a Facebook account.

in the same way that normal people would rather smile their way out of a nasty situation and go home to send a nasty text / fb message + unfriend, these guys would rather let on they pulled ya over for nothing then go back to the station and send you a huge ****er of a fine in the post. Nobody knows how to do confrontation anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now the system is not to tell people and all tickets are posted out. Its considered more accountable a method

The Garda still has to record the offence on site (type of offence, driving license details, location, registration details and the like). It would be far more accountable imho if the offender would get a copy of this record on the spot (and if they don't get a copy, it means the Garda used his / her discretion and it was a mere warning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

unkel wrote: »
    The Garda still has to record the offence on site (type of offence, driving license details, location, registration details and the like). It would be far more accountable imho if the offender would get a copy of this record on the spot (and if they don't get a copy, it means the Garda used his / her discretion and it was a mere warning)

Personally I agree but thats the system that the various think tanks have decided on and were obliged to perform as per proceedure. The way were going now its all about stats and I forsee a day, sadly, that Gardai will no longer be allowed proceed by caution or use discretion but will be expected to simple prosecute, prosecute, prosecute.

Who knows, In time they may well revert back to the old system which I do think people were happier with or go to another way altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

DonJose wrote: »
    They could've been on their way to a burglary or a car getting broken into, lights flashing and sirens wailing only tell the scumbags, "We're on our way".

Well they weren't in any kind of hurry, he was going maybe 30mph on a main road and he was chatting away to his partner. It was quite close to a Garda station though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I think a Garda should be required to tell you if your getting a fine. Its not fair to be left wondering for weeks/months if you've got a fine/penalty points comming.

If your being arrested you must be told by the arresting officer that A) you are being arrested and B) what your being arrested for in order for the arrest to be lawful (two exceptions). I my opinion the same principle should be applied here.

Advertisement