Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax on accord 2.2 diesel exec??

Options
  • 26-11-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

buying an accord in england hopefully in the new year. vrt is between 3500 and 4000 i think? just wondering what the current annual tax is on this car

regards

FRN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fearruanua wrote: »
    buying an accord in england hopefully in the new year. vrt is between 3500 and 4000 i think? just wondering what the current annual tax is on this car

regards

FRN

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2008_en.pdf

Or if it's an 08

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

thanks stekelly for the link.

827 is a bit steep. the fact that i'll be registering the car here in the new year, will that entitle me to the new tax rates???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

thanks stekelly for the link.

827 is a bit steep. the fact that i'll be registering the car here in the new year, will that entitle me to the new tax rates???

If it's a 2008 car yes you get the new rates, if the car is older than this it's the old cc based rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

ok. 827 is expensive. i might have to reconsider. S40 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

tax in the north is £125 for the same car :D

• Advertisement

tax in the north is £125 for the same car :D

I'd imagine it would cost a bit more than the difference in motor tax rtates to relocate to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

errr...

correct me if im wrong (which i probably am)... but i did a bit of research into this.

doesnt it say that if you register a car in Ireland after a certain date that you will be using the co2 tax system - so if you register a 2005 today you will be paying the new tax system ?

samhail wrote: »
    errr...

correct me if im wrong (which i probably am)... but i did a bit of research into this.

doesnt it say that if you register a car in Ireland after a certain date that you will be using the co2 tax system - so if you register a 2005 today you will be paying the new tax system ?

No, no it does not.

That was a very dismissive reply and to be honest didnt convince me - so i did the research.

And stekellys reply is correct. cars registered before 1 jan 2008 are on the old tax system
    http://www.vrt.ie/roadTax.php

right.

That was a very dismissive reply and to be honest didnt convince me - so i did the research.

Well if thats the way you want totake it then fair enough.

Anyway, theres been mountains of threads dealing with the issues on here dating back to when the new system was announced. It's actually a very simple system and sall the info isreadily aailable in various places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And stekellys reply is correct. cars registered before 1 jan 2008 are on the old tax system
    http://www.vrt.ie/roadTax.php

right.
    If you look at the top of the main page, you'll see a thread at the top entitled:

Motors Charter & FAQs - Read before going further.

Within, you will see:

Research your question. Many questions on driving tests, licences, penalty points, etc. have been asked and answered many, many, many times before

Some Common Questions Are Likely To Be Answered In These:

* New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

It's all there, including examples.

This is perhaps why Stekelly was a little dismissive of your question.;)

i apologise for trying to help, and learning something in the progress so.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

regards

FRN

It really is sad to see some peoples mind set you think you know what you want , you dont know how much it is ,the vrt , the road tax etc but you know your buying it in the UK sums it up !!
    To hell with Irish businesses why dont we all just do our shopping in the UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Darsad wrote: »

And why not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

so you prefer paying over the odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

It really is sad to see some peoples mind set you think you know what you want , you dont know how much it is ,the vrt , the road tax etc but you know your buying it in the UK sums it up !!

Thats not what the OP said at all.
    "To hell with Irish businesses why dont we all just do our shopping in the UK " is what you said. Noone else.
    The OP has a very good reason for buying a car in the UK. We all know what it is.
    Go figure.

jon1981 wrote: »
    so you prefer paying over the odds?

How do you figure that one out ! The OP gave no comparisons no figures
    no indication that he even considered looking in the country where he earns his/her salary.Just everybody says its cheaper so it must be !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

no indication that he even considered looking in the country where he earns his/her salary.Just everybody says its cheaper so it must be !

O Dear ...........

Its a well known Fact these days....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my mate is selling his 06 Accord 2.2 diesel Exec (blue with cream leather), with low mileage. Got offered 20k from dealer on his trade in for the 09 Accord

i dont think its necessary to give figures...your just being pedantic in fairness.

granted its not helping the economy, but why should we line the pockets of certain industrys that have been creaming it for years. people are finally saying no and want value for money. we just cant afford it anymore.

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    i dont think its necessary to give figures...your just being pedantic in fairness.

granted its not helping the economy, but why should we line the pockets of certain industrys that have been creaming it for years. people are finally saying no and want value for money. we just cant afford it anymore.

To be fair be it the motor industry or any other for that matter much of the problem is the high tax rates in this country particuarly in the motor industry as much as 66% of the retail price of a high end car in this country is constituted by tax in one form or another so why not demand that the gov take some action. Because of our penal and high tax rates on cars be it VRT Vat customs excise etc we actually have the lowest base price cars in the EU and were a VRT refund system to exist the importation route would be reversed.No point in blaming industries give your local TD a good kicking next time he comes a knocking . They dont even have the back bone to admit the VAT increase was a mistake given that the UK have reduced theirs they are too thickj and stubborn to be seen to do a U turn !

ok i take your point, but i think the only people that can put pressure on the government to change this is are SIMI and the motor industry in general. they are the victims in all this with job losses and business shutting down. its win win for the consumer in the short term but most likely damaging to the economy in the medium term. if the government are to reduce VRT or remove it they are only going to have to make up the difference in tax elsewhere...maybe on petrol... i for one would like to see a tax thats not linked to the price of the car... as i said on petrol/Diesel.

Advertisement