Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mouth guards to stop grinding

• 26-11-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

I grind my teeth in my sleep apparently. Is it worth getting a mouth guard, my dentist said that I shouldn't worry about it (?)

Anybody wear one, is it okay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fussyhussey

Hi there

I did not even realise I groun my teeth until my sister pointed out a clicking in my jaw. I went to my dentist for unrelated work and he mentioned it may actually have been a factor in the work I had needed. He fitted me for a mouth guard. I suggested buying a general one in a chemist but he said they could cause some problems and fall out if they're not fitted. It was €95 and the best thing I ever bought. It was very awkward the first few nights but I'm well used to it now. Its amazing how much I've chomped on it in my sleep. I'd never be without one again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

My oh used to grind her teeth so much so that she'd have a pain in her head when she'd wake up!
    She's waiting on her second one as the first one lasted only about 12 months,and she's suffering those headaches again. She swears by those things!
    They need to be sterilised often(daily) as they can get quite pungent,that's the only drawback for me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yes they work well and most people get very used to wearing them. There are different types. Some are soft like a sports guard some are hard like a piece of plastic. Your dentist can advise you on which one is most suitable for your particular problem. The hard ones are more expensive but last a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

I suggested buying a general one in a chemist but he said they could cause some problems and fall out if they're not fitted. It was €95 and the best thing I ever bought.

wow am i glad i stumbled on this - after last night i cannot take the noise of my bf's grinding anymore and finally plucked up the courage to say something today!!! he's agreed to get a mouth guardy thingy - and we had a look online earlier - there's a few different types - ranging from a tenner up - does he need to go down the expensive route though or is there much difference???

maybe soon i can get some sleep and he can wake up without my elbows in his ribs!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fussyhussey

Well my dentist (who I genuinely don't think would shaft me!) told me get one fitted (the €95 is mainly for the fitting) I have to say I'm glad cos it fits perfectly on my teeth so it doesn't move during the night and theres no risk of it slipping out and maybe choking (not that theres any stats on people choking to death on night guards but its a bit weird having something in your mouth while sleeping!)

The one I got is made for sport use, good thick and durable. Agreed it has to be kept clean!! Can get gross but you get used to it. I hate the days I forget to wear it cos I too get a sore jaw the next morning.

AND my boyfriend hates the nights I don't wear it apparently I'm a disaster for the grinding. but the fitted one is really subtle for wearing too.

Hope it helps!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement