Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"de" in French

Options
  • 26-11-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I am soooo confused with this word, and I can’t find any answers to this on the Internet, so I was hoping that there would be some French aficionados on here.

If you’re saying that something is of something else, like a bottle of wine, you say “une bouteille DE vin”. But then if you want to say a youth centre, you say “un foyer DES jeunes” . If this is so, wouldn’t it be “une boutille du vin”? Because the latter means “centre of THE youth”. Why wouldn’t it be “un foyer de jeunes”? It seems irregular, because to say “few people” you say “Peu de gens” and not “Peu des gens,” according to my book.

I know it’s abject that a LC hl French student doesn’t know the workings of de, but…I need helllp.
    Thanks so much : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

it has something to do with the partitive article.. i dont have my french notes with me at ATM sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I think it's just one of those things you just have to learn off. Try the French language forum, they should give some answers for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Des doesn't always means "of the", it can mean "of" for indefinite plurals too. You wouldn't say "une bouteille du vin" because that would mean "a bottle of the wine"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

googled this for you..
    http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa112499.htm
    seems correct to me!

Advertisement