Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shapes an individuals music taste?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I grew up as a kid in late 60s , to young for the hippe generation ,dylan , byrds , beatles ,stones etc but just in time for the glitter pop era ,bowie ,sweet ,t - rex ... then onto the new wave /synth/ me generation of 80s ,human leauge ,jam , ultravox , clash . 4 decades later i am still enjoying The wonderful soundtrack of our lifes from each decade since .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I started off on my Dad's stuff-Leonard Cohen, Kris kristofferson, Bob Dylan.
    From there I moved on to the 90s Britpop like Oasis, Supergrass and Grunge like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins in secondary school .
    I moved on to heavier stuff like Metallica and Deftones in college.
    Then I mellowed out after college, when non-one really liked the heavier stuff, moved on to Mogwai and Wilco. Now I listen to all the above, and I try to listen to all kinds like reggae, ambient, electronic, post rock, funk etc.

The people you hang around with has a big effect. If they don't like heavy stuff, you need to tone it down in their company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Hot Press:P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mine was mainly influenced by friends, who were mainly into metal (mainly thrash) Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera - the usual stuff. I found this to be alright, but never really got into it. Fast forward to the day a friend recomended a band I'd never heard of before, Blind Guardian. This was my introduction to power metal and i haven't looked back :D

From there I got into other Power metal bands, a combination of recomendations and my own research got me into the likes of Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Gamma Ray and many others. I also branched into other genres (partly) related to this, mainly prog and symphonic metal.

While I don't stick rigidly to these genres, they were/are my main influences

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Around the age of 12/13 ,I was never really into music, but [prob to do with friends etc] got into commerical gangster rap, eg. 50 cent, eminem etc. From there I moved onto chart music, such as Coldplay. I contuined with the charts for a whille, was never really serious about music though, just a casual lover. Then I heard the Manic Street Preachers song 'A Design for Life' . From there I explored there back cathalogue , and discovered my 2nd favourite album of all time, 'The Holy Bible'. I got into other alternative british acts[Placebo etc] then breached out into other alternative acts[such as the Pumpkins]. I then went through a grunge phrase, then onto a nu-metal phrase,then metal, then back to alternative. Then I discovered Folk rock[the likes of Dylan and Robert Johnson] and fell in love.
    I'd find it hard to classify my musical tastes at the moment. Bands I've been listening to a lot lately include Weezer, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Arcade Fire, early Kings of Leon, Kasabian, the Manics[prob my favourite band] ,Tool,Garbage to name just a few , and solo artists such as Springsteen, Dylan, Elliott Smith. The last few weeks however seem to have just been one big Nick Cave fest :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

I would imagine that whatever music is big when you're between the ages of 3-10 will have a significant impact. I have no shame in saying I LOVE the likes of 2Unlimited, Doop, Whigfield, Corona etc - because it reminds me of being a child and long hot summers.

I progressed to all the 'Britpop' stuff then with Super Furry Animals, Cast and Pulp being my first ever gig when I was 9.

Then almost like when reading a text and you look to the bibliography... I looked to the citations from these bands - Pulp mentioned Bowie and Moz and so there you go I looked them up.

You probably will find some people citing reasons relating to geographical location, parents taste (yes, I still love my mother's Gallagher and Lyle tape. 'Breakaway' anyone?)etc (as mentioned in your initial post) but I think you need to take this factor that I've highlighted into consideration too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hmmm, from 2-7 my musical world was The Beatles, Queen and classical music. I tended to like the harder stuff, for example Helter Skelter. 7-12: acid jazz. I listened obsessively to it. 12-20, mostly indie and classic rock: initially all I listened to was Radiohead and Beck, then I got into Jimi Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Pulp, Blur, Jeff Buckley, ATDI, Supergrass, SFA and The Flaming Lips. Metal was something that was scary and fascinating at the same time but I didn't go near it as I thought it was too hardcore, I listen to Korn once and I disliked it, but as I got older, around 17-20, I started listening to more of it, Trial by Fire by Testament and One by Metallica really caught my imagination. I tried to get into punk based on recommendations from my friends but just didn't like it at all. Then around 20 I got into Trivium and heavier stuff such as, NIN, Metallica, Marilyn Manson and Opeth being the mainstays and I just listen to them mostly now for 3 years, especially NIN.

Advertisement