Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I need to study to become a teacher?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

:confused:Hi
    I want to study to become a Geography And History(And C.S.P.E if possible) teacher so I wanted to know exactly what do I need to study

I was thinking of these two but im unsure if they are good enough to become a 2ndry teacher
    If they arent good enough what do I need
    And also what extra things do I need t study to become a teacher?
    (If you can find cspe please post a link)
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/history.ezc
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/geography.ezc
    Thanks =]:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You need to do a B.A. in History & Geography. You wont be qualified to teach CSPE with this. You need to do either Sociology or Politics so you would have to replace History or Geography with one of those to be qualified to teach CSPE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

once you become a teacher you can just do an inservice to become a cspe teacher - thats what all teachers have done in our school. however the government are cutting inservices from january onwards so you may no longer be able to do this.

obviously if you are applyin for a cspe job, it is helpful to have studied politics/social studies to help you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

:DOk Thanks
    How many subjects would most teachers teach (excluding cspe,sphe and religion)=]:p

most teachers would teach at least two subjects. am currently teaching 7 subjects myself.
    again no qualifications for sphe, cspe, lcvp - just do an inservice. you need a degree to teach religion tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

You also need a Higher Diploma (HDip) to become a teacher, which usually takes one year plus some experience.

Also, most teachers teach 2 subjects, but anyone with a HDip and a BA can teach any subject they want up to Junior Certificate level.

That's why you sometimes see Irish teachers giving classes in Physics, as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

ahaaha wrote: »
    most teachers would teach at least two subjects. am currently teaching 7 subjects myself.
    again no qualifications for sphe, cspe, lcvp - just do an inservice. you need a degree to teach religion tho.

7 Subjects ,thats a bit much
    What would be the average subjects in your school

So far I was only looking at 2 but if need i will do more:o

its just that im qualified to teach loads as i did science teaching in ul. so ive science, maths, biology, agricultural science, computers from my degree. plus i do lcvp and sphe. dont worry most teachers will do 2/3max.

Advertisement