Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The RTE Panel Discussion Thread 2008/2009

• 26-11-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

They are a flaming disgrace.

Rafa is not a good manager, he got lucky winning the CL in 2005?no mention of his outstanding record at Valencia winning La Liga & Uefa Cup.

They are making up transfer figures, before saying that Rafa fluked a Champions League and should have built on that by winning it again the year after, and that he hasnt come near winning it since-em, he got to a final & semi-final since?!

Seriously, sometimes it actually annoys me that my TV liscence fee pays these clowns wages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Dunphy is worth every penny. A true legend, he could have them rolling in the aisle's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In fairness they didn't say he wasn't a good manager, they said he wasn't "sophisticated" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd have him rolling in the aisles after i set him on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The panel are useful as to serve as entertainment on the duller nights.

Worth every Euro!

anyone else find it humiliating the way they never know ANYTHING about the opposition players, even though they are sometimes some of the biggest teams in Europe. They have no shame in saying "well, we dont know anything about this defence, so they must be brutal"

they also refered to Maxi Rodriguez as an ordinary journey man player the other week when we were playing Athletico.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Thankfully we have Con Murphy, Rico, and on occasion Eoin Hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They know how to annoy fans of both Liverpool and Manchester United. End of.

The fact that Mr Alan started this thread is proof of that.

Frankly, I love seeing my mates getting so annoyed watching them.

I also love seeing posters on here getting annoyed by them.

Great fun, worth every penny of the licence fee my landlord pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The thing with rte coverage is that people praise it big time, saying how much better it is then sky etc... but as soon as they slag off your club they are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like that it is the same thing over and over and over again. They are gambling on Liverpool ultimately failing in the league and CL. If and when we are mathematically out of contention in both they will be vindicated and able to host a big "WE TOLD YOU SO PARTY".

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The thing with rte coverage is that people praise it big time, saying how much better it is then sky etc... but as soon as they slag off your club they are crap.

Also, this is probably quite close to the truth of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Crosspost this gem tonight from the other thread.

Giles "when a team wins the european cup Peter your looking for them to build on it and win more european cups or at least get close to winning it again liverpool since they won it have never been close or even look like being close"

Peter "emmm well they did get to a another final"

Giles "ahhhhh yeah huh i mean premierships and ehhh stuffff!"

Edit - Is Peter a Liverpool fan ?

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont watch them anymore as they frustrate me so much. Its not just Liverpool, its there complete lack of knowledge about foreign teams and players. How do they get paid to spout their 'expert' opinions is beyond me. What I wouldnt give to have someone withn the knowledge of James Richardson or Sid Lowe on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tusky wrote: »
    I dont watch them anymore as they frustrate me so much. Its not just Liverpool, its there complete lack of knowledge about foreign teams and players. How do they get paid to spout their 'expert' opinions is beyond me. What I wouldnt give to have someone withn the knowledge of James Richardson or Sid Lowe on the show.
    + 1 , just switch off Al , they suck at coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't watch the cretins, its not like you are being surprised at thier blatent trolling. Oh sorry its on d'telly. :o

Mike

Tusky wrote: »

In fairness Dunphy seems to know a bit about the Spanish sides and claims to watch La liga every week. Giles I dont think has a clue about anyone outside the premiership.

What I do hate though, is the whole of RTE's ineptness in the names department.

Marciano, who the fúck is he?

i never deny that, i laugh my arse off when they are calling Ronaldo ****e etc etc, all the time i know they are wrong obviously, but i still find it funny-because they really think they are right.

but when they start being so brazenly ridiculous about the likes of Rafa, i do get seriously pissed off.

they are just really bad at their jobs

they are not shock jockies, their job is NOT to annoy people.

if they are not intentionally trying to annoy people, well then they should be sacked for not being sufficently qualified to be a pundit for any match not involving any of the top 4 in England......they dont know players,managers, formations anything.....for lads picking up a few hundred grand a year, its shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I don't think anyone has ever tuned into RTE coverage expecting expert analysis though. People watch it because these people are ill informed and controversial. I'm sure this thread wouldn't be too far off the desired effect the RTE went for when booking these people.

Plays for QPR, no?

Mike

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i never deny that, i laugh my arse off when they are calling Ronaldo ****e etc etc, all the time i know they are wrong obviously, but i still find it funny-because they really think they are right.

but when they start being so brazenly ridiculous about the likes of Rafa, i do get seriously pissed off.
    double standards much?

their job is NOT to annoy people.
    are you the rte head of sport?

of course it is their job to piss people off. that is why they are still on tv.
    Dunphy's been doing it since the seventies on football coverage for rte ffs.

• Advertisement

You know who I admire most on RTE coverage is Souness, he is the only one of them thats knows anything, I really do appreciate his knowledge and views on the game.

Hated him as a player and manager but I like him a person.

redout wrote: »
    In fairness Dunphy seems to know a bit about the Spanish sides and claims to watch La liga every week

Dunphy likes to claim that, but he is lying.

He had no idea about anyone playing for Athletico, including their top players, the likes of Aguerro, Rodriguez.

Ironically enough, because of some of the hype surrounding them in preseason he tipped them as dark horses for the CL, obviously he had never seen them cause a few short weeks later he wrote them off as an awful team when they played Liverpool.

he changes his opinions all the time ridiculously without mention.

for example, in 2006/2007 he thought Gerrard was average, tonight he thought he was world class, when did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Funny the way Giles cannot pronounce half of the players names - Marciano (mascherano) or when hes totally lost on a player he justs calls him the "lad"

or you cannot afford to that against the top teams or
    Ronaldo makes baby Jesus cry

they are just really bad at their jobs

they are not shock jockies, their job is NOT to annoy people.

if they are not intentionally trying to annoy people, well then they should be sacked for not being sufficently qualified to be a pundit for any match not involving any of the top 4 in England......they dont know players,managers, formations anything.....for lads picking up a few hundred grand a year, its shocking.
    Wrong. The fact that you are whining about it here and giving them free publicity makes them excellent at their jobs. And contributes to CL coverage being a profitable endeavor for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Des wrote: »
    They know how to annoy fans of both Liverpool and Manchester United. End of.

The fact that Mr Alan started this thread is proof of that.

Frankly, I love seeing my mates getting so annoyed watching them.

I also love seeing posters on here getting annoyed by them.

Great fun, worth every penny of the licence fee my landlord pays.

Thats it in a nutshell imo.

Id love to meet Dunphys son because anytime he is called up on anything about Liverpool he says he knows what the real Liverpool fans are thinking sure his son is a real Liverpool fan! :rolleyes:

Everyweek its the same, when Man Utd are on its slam Ronaldo for 30/40 minutes. When Liverpool play its Benitiz is a poor manager, workman like players (Kuyt etc).

Very little (if any) analysis of the game is ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

The analysis is often better entertainment than the match. Even today.

Lads at the end of the day we dont need pundits, analysts, or commentators for what we can see ourselves FACT

None of us need to be told what goes on , we can chat about it with our mates and debate it here.

Those clowns on Sky , RTE and ITV mean sod all to me, ps BBC too.

it's better with Bill though.

That cheese-meister Collins is cringeworthy. I wish he'd fúck off back to the formula one.

His damn voice

Dunphy likes to claim that, but he is lying.

He had no idea about anyone playing for Athletico, including their top players, the likes of Aguerro, Rodriguez.

Again in fairness to Dunphy that is probably because Sky Sports usually only tend to show Barcelona and Real Madrid games the majority of the time. Every week at least one or usually both of their games is shown. Probably got to do with ratings.

• Advertisement

double standards much?

I admitted its a double standard. anyone who doesnt have double standards is a liar.

I'd imagine if Dunphy went on a massive rant about how **** irish league football was, how clueless its fans were etc etc, you wouldnt find it as "humerous" as when he riles up the barstoolers
    are you the rte head of sport?

Pundit-"an expert or opinion-leader who analyzes events in an area of expertise in the popular media"

doesnt sound like any of the boys in the studio tonight tbh.

not aware of managerial achievments, not aware of transfer values, not aware of the opposition teams existance. i could go on.

redout wrote: »
    Again in fairness to Dunphy that is probably because Sky Sports usually only tend to show Barcelona and Real Madrid games the majority of the time. Every week at least one or usually both of their games is shown. Probably got to do with ratings.

i'd imagine a man in Eammons field has access to channels showing sporting events from all over the world.

if not, its his job, he should be watching tapes etc

Bet u enjoy when they rip into United Al!! They're wind up merchants, and good ones at that, I just tune out when they get ridiculous!

but you still watch it every week.

and on the LoI thing.

meh, dunphy and giles have commented on it before, in fact, I read a book where they spoke in depth about it.

giles used to manage Rovers. Most of what they have to say about the Loi and the FAI I agree with.

That cheese-meister Collins is cringeworthy. I wish he'd fúck off back to the formula one.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! (RTE don't have F1 anymore)

Mike

but you still watch it every week.

I'm a glutton for punishment :(

• Advertisement

They are a flaming disgrace.

tbh

alf2.jpg

tbh

alf2.jpg
    Legendary Neil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are like Groundhog day.

If United are playing its
    a)Ronaldo is a bad player,a pup.
    b)Rooney is a great player ,great work rate and attitude. Scholes is another of their favourites.
    Last night they were trying to blame Rooneys poor form on Ronaldo.Ridiculous.
    They love Rooney despite the fact most people are realising now he is a grossly overrated player.

If Liverpool are playing they say
    a)Liverpool cant maintain possession and keep giving the ball away
    b)They are a lucky team
    c)Benitez is a bad manager.
    To be fair I think they have a point with Liverpool.
    They are an awful team to watch and I'm sure most neutrals dont like watching them.

RTE's coverage is too focused on the English teams .
    Tonight they are showing extended highlights of Bordeaux-Chelsea instead of showing equal highlights of all the other 7 matches .
    Bill is always stirring it up too,he knows what he is doing letting Dunphy rant about Ronaldo and his Johnny Murtagh,Ruby Walsh ,****e analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

RTE want to draw the biggest tv audience they can each week (resulting in greater ad revenue) and they do that by focusing on the British teams (typically Man United and Liverpool).

As for the RTE panel, the fact that threads like this one pop up every second week to me means they're actually doing their job.

[QUOTE=MisterAnarchy;58047947
    .[/QUOTE]

Of course it is, why would it not be :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Well Dunphy reckons Drogba won't go to Inter as "Ivanisevic" is playing for them...quality...

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Well Dunphy reckons Drogba won't go to Inter as "Ivanisevic" is playing for them...quality...

See...the names.

Always the names.

George Hamilton is another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Of course it is, why would it not be :confused:

Because its a European competition supposedly showing the best teams in Europe.
    We get to see the English teams every week of the season .

Ratings, tbh.

They only have a certain amount of time to cover highlights, vast majority of Irish viewers are primarily interested in English teams therefore ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Funkyzeit wrote: »

Inter bought a washed up tennis star? Economic crisis must have hit Italy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think the most shocking thing about tonight is how did this fella worm his way back in??? :eek:

itv_jim.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolute legends. The lot of them. Only thing missing is Chippy.

May they live forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ronnie Whelan seems to have taken the place of Brady, for Ireland matches anyway. He's just a yes man for the other 2. Kevin Moran's a much better pundit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan seems to have taken the place of Brady, for Ireland matches anyway. He's just a yes man for the other 2. Kevin Moran's a much better pundit imo.

Whelan will find his own yet I think, the 2 boys were doing their Usual "Ronaldo is the cause of homelessness routine" the last time they were on, you could tell Whelan was getting sick of it.

Hopefully he explodes live some boring Tuesday night soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement