Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The RTE Panel Discussion Thread 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's much more interesting than watching any other commentary.
    During the Euro's I used to use RTE for studio and UTV for the match commentary.
    Souness is by far and away the best of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boggles wrote: »
    Whelan will find his own yet I think, the 2 boys were doing their Usual "Ronaldo is the cause of homelessness routine" the last time they were on, you could tell Whelan was getting sick of it.

Hopefully he explodes live some boring Tuesday night soon.
    I just find it ridiculous how much Whelan's opinions have changed on certain players from when he was working for Sky only a few months ago. He can't be great if he trusts Eamon's opinion before his own (which he certainly did with McGeady).

In saying that, as ignorant as they are to Celtic I'd rather watch a Celtic match on RTE than anywhere else. Lou Macari, Charlie Nicholas, Pat Dolan. Ahhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I just think it sucks that they spend so much time reiterating the same things, and then they don't even mention some of the other games. I was hoping to see if they'd analyse the Barca game for even 20 seconds, but they showed the highlights and said 'That's all we've got time for'.... I'm sure that even most British football supporters would appreciate them going into a little bit of analysis on the likes of Inter, Barca, Lyon. Instead they choose to be broken records.

It was disgrace when Giles said yesterday that in the past few years Villareal have really taken a turn for the worst. He clearly knows nothing, they've only been in the Spanish first division since 1998/1999, in which they got relegated and came up permanently since 2000/2001. Ya giles, 10 years ago they were flying among the best in the 2nd division :rolleyes:. Last year was also there best EVER finish in their history as a club, idiots.

eZe^ wrote: »
    It was disgrace when Giles said yesterday that in the past few years Villareal have really taken a turn for the worst. He clearly knows nothing, they've only been in the Spanish first division since 1998/1999, in which they got relegated and came up permanently since 2000/2001. Ya giles, 10 years ago they were flying among the best in the 2nd division :rolleyes:. Last year was also there best EVER finish in their history as a club, idiots.

I blame Pires tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

Sure its only a laugh really. If you watch the pundits on the other channels you'd be bored. They are a bit obsessed with Utd & l'pool but its still a laugh.

My fav line-up has to be the A team of Bill, Giles, Souness & Eamo. I don't mind if brady there but if Cunningham is on i have to switch over alrite....he talks in monotone & does weird stuff with his eyebrows!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eZe^ wrote: »
    I just think it sucks that they spend so much time reiterating the same things, and then they don't even mention some of the other games. I was hoping to see if they'd analyse the Barca game for even 20 seconds, but they showed the highlights and said 'That's all we've got time for'.... I'm sure that even most British football supporters would appreciate them going into a little bit of analysis on the likes of Inter, Barca, Lyon. Instead they choose to be broken records.

Sounds like he mixed them up with Valencia. Giles is good on tactics and breaking down a game but names etc confuse him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Inter bought a washed up tennis star? Economic crisis must have hit Italy...
    I dunno, big Goran was supposed be quite handy upfront. Was offered a pro contract by Dinamo Zagreb at one point...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ive been saying they are terrible for years. they know they're stuff but the line that they follow is ludicrous. and they are hypocrites.
    last night Utd plays - it becomes the ronaldo show
    tonite its pools turn - it becomes the rafa show

just wish they'd sing a new tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Des wrote: »
    That cheese-meister Collins is cringeworthy. I wish he'd fúck off back to the formula one.

His damn voice

That or the beatbox. The beatbox suited him better, introducing the latest video from 2 Unlimited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

JPA wrote: »
    Sounds like he mixed them up with Valencia. Giles is good on tactics and breaking down a game but names etc confuse him.

Yep, he was never good on stats or actual team info. He is getting worse too, when he was younger he used to have more current knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

The RTE panel are the best! They actually have a real discussion! You don't get that if you watch BBC or Setanta, all they do is sit there and talk about how nice everyone is and they don't want to get into an argument.

There's no holding back on the RTE panel though. There best mates and thats what makes it even better to watch when there arguing there points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Has anyone else noticed that Dunphy and Giles's attitude seems to be rubbing off on Souness. Last night on SS1 Redknapp, Gullit and Souness were talking about Ronaldo and Souness starting saying the same stuff that Dunphy was spouting on RTE the night before, calling him 'petulant' and saying he is always booed because of his attitude etc. Redknapp and Gullit completely disagreed with him but Souness stuck to his guns, it was great stuff
    So it's spreading I think, English match analysis beware :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

They're terrible. Regurgitating the same stuff every week.

Last night Houghton went from saying that all Liverpool fans would like to Gerrard as part of a midfield pairing, then when Giles and Dunphy quite rightly said that he's much better playing off Torres he agreed with them! Every Liverpool fan I know much prefers Gerrard off Torres. His favourite line is "ask any Liverpool fan...", while Dunphy's is "my son is a Liverpool fan" and Giles is "the Liverpool sides of the past".

Giles was asked a specific question about Keane last night by Collins and he sidetracked it and went on to mumble some pre-prepared garbage about the midfield making no allusion whatsoever to Robbie Keane.

"Dick" Kuyt and "Marciano" - don't get me started.

Why does Dunphy lump a world class player like Mascherano in with the Dossenas and Benayouns of this world every week. His passing was woeful last night but this isn't a new thing with Dunphy on Mascherano, he called him a donkey a few months back. He's world class, captain of Argentina, one of the best midfielders in the Premier league.

It's entertaining to watch, but I could put 3 junkies on the panel and they'd be entertaining too. These are supposed to be experts in their area but they spout the same nonsense every week.

Couple more favourite sayings.

Giles on Spanish football: "well Eamon would know more about that than me"
    Dunphy on Gerrard and Tores: "they're their only 2 players that would play in the other big sides".
    Giles on Liverpool: "they give the ball away yada yada yada"

I'm boring myself here, but you get the drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The RTE panel are the best! They actually have a real discussion! You don't get that if you watch BBC or Setanta, all they do is sit there and talk about how nice everyone is and they don't want to get into an argument.

There's no holding back on the RTE panel though. There best mates and thats what makes it even better to watch when there arguing there points.

I don't think you can include Pat Dolan, a more knowledgeable and articulate version of Dunphy.

Good to see Beglin back, a big improvement on Ray (should have taken the other option) Houghtons analysis.

or Ray "the glass is not so much half empty as smashed to pieces on the floor" Houghton.

Agree on Dolan, best pundit on tv at the moment.

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    or Ray "the glass is not so much half empty as smashed to pieces on the floor" Houghton.

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agree on Dolan, best pundit on tv at the moment.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No. He isn't.

Spoofer of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Pat Dolan is hilarious. I remember he was doing commentary for some match last year and he was so sure he had worked one of the teams tactics for corners.

'Oh look, he's raised two hands in the air. This one is going to the far post.'

It was played to the near post.

A few minutes later, they got another corner and Pat let everyone know that this one was going to the near post.

It was played short.

He really is a clown and that waistcoat that he forces himself into is awful!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No. He isn't.

Spoofer of the highest order.

Who do you think is the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

"Dick" Kuyt and "Marciano" - don't get me started.

lol! That's what I thought of when I saw this thead. :pac:

Also 'Jamie Carr-a-her'.

• Advertisement

Pat Dolan is hilarious. I remember he was doing commentary for some match last year and he was so sure he had worked one of the teams tactics for corners.

'Oh look, he's raised two hands in the air. This one is going to the far post.'

It was played to the near post.

A few minutes later, they got another corner and Pat let everyone know that this one was going to the near post.

It was played short.

He really is a clown and that waistcoat that he forces himself into is awful!

Thats what makes him so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This a good thread to keep for the season, just to read back on and read their inconsistencies. Dunphy calling Barca a proper top side last night to highlight his slagging of Liverpool, he'll be slating them soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pat Dolan is absolute Rubbish. Give me Dunphy and Giles any day.

That doesn't matter.

I just hate Dolan.

He called me a wanker one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote: »
    This a good thread to keep for the season, just to read back on and read their inconsistencies. Dunphy calling Barca a proper top side last night to highlight his slagging of Liverpool, he'll be slating them soon enough!

Probably when Liverpool knock em out again!

As i said, he back Athletico as dark horses to win the tournament when it began, until we played them, and then they were just some useless team who werent up to it and we should be hammering.

Funny how we're so ****e, yet consistantly beat the top teams in Europe are joint top of the league, in the last 16 of the CL. A bit of credit wouldnt go astray.
    That doesn't matter.

I just hate Dolan.

he had a point in fairness ;)

JæKæ wrote: »
    Yep, he was never good on stats or actual team info. He is getting worse too, when he was younger he used to have more current knowledge.

Probably just the onset of Dementia

That doesn't matter.

I just hate Dolan.

His analysis is usually spot on

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he had a point in fairness ;)
    Was this time last year, in fairness, I was abusing him something terrible from the stand in Tolka, he turned around and gave me that wanker gesture.

Was this time last year, in fairness, I was abusing him something terrible from the stand in Tolka, he turned around and gave me that wanker gesture.

That's such a beautiful story.

You see, this to me brings home the joys of going to matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Funny how we're so ****e, yet consistantly beat the top teams in Europe are joint top of the league, in the last 16 of the CL. A bit of credit wouldnt go astray.

Ye only beat the big teams because ye have less possession to ***k it up - Dunphy :D

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ye only beat the big teams because ye have less possession to ***k it up - Dunphy :D

We also score more goals then them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We also score more goals then them.

I'm not making an arguement either way, I'm just paraphrasing Dunphy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dunphy has slated Barca for years but now he loves them. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

One would think that he was just copying what someone else was saying ;)

Gareth37 wrote: »
    One would think that he was just copying what someone else was saying ;)

One would think he's just talking through his hoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cruijff wrote: »
    Lads at the end of the day we dont need pundits, analysts, or commentators for what we can see ourselves FACT

I watch their punditry purely on the off-chance that there will be a classic incident. And to give praise that it's not the BBC. Certainly not to gain insight.

Seriously, if people hate it so much, why not just make a cup of tea at half-time?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

He recently seems to have run out of players he actually knows about to **** over. Rooney....he's started diving so now Dunphy hates him.

He has now started a to spray his baby juice over thoughts of Xavi and Iniesta, who he believes to be "real" and "top, top" players.

"Ronaldo, nah. Xavi and Iniesta, Bill, they're real top, top players." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

+1 To Pat Dolan being one of the best pundits at the moment. He isn't monotonous and safe like BBC or Sky pundits, or repetitive and over the top like RTE. Good balance

I remember they had the Arsenal team up on screen before a game and Dunphy was just basically going through all eleven players slating them. One by one, he might as well have been saying "No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, Bill!

• Advertisement

Souness

Ray Wilkins is actually very good aswell

I remember they had the Arsenal team up on screen before a game and Dunphy was just basically going through all eleven players slating them. One by one, he might as well have been saying "No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, Bill!

"They need a Patrick Vieira, a Roy Keane, an Iniesta or a Xavi. A REAL, TOP, TOP player."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

They know how to annoy fans of both Liverpool and Manchester United. End of.

The fact that Mr Alan started this thread is proof of that.

Frankly, I love seeing my mates getting so annoyed watching them.

I also love seeing posters on here getting annoyed by them.

Great fun, worth every penny of the licence fee my landlord pays.

I agree it's hilarious. Couldn't care less that he slags off Utd/Ronalod/Fergie, I find it funny, mainly because I believe I know better! He is dead right about Liverpool though. :pac:

Seriously though, people getting worked up about it is just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"They need a Patrick Vieira, a Roy Keane, an Iniesta or a Xavi. A REAL, TOP, TOP player."

You forgot to pluralize it.

"They need some Vieras, some Keanes, some Iniestas, some Xavis. Y'know, players who play for your Uniteds, your Chelseas, your Barcelonas.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

i never deny that, i laugh my arse off when they are calling Ronaldo ****e etc etc, all the time i know they are wrong obviously, but i still find it funny-because they really think they are right.

but when they start being so brazenly ridiculous about the likes of Rafa, i do get seriously pissed off.

Pathetic.

spockety wrote: »
    You forgot to pluralize it.

"They need some Vieras, some Keanes, some Iniestas, some Xavis. Y'know, players who play for your Uniteds, your Chelseas, your Barcelonas.."

Indeed I did. Now it just looks like i'm spouting ****e. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah, this reminds me of Private Parts:

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
    Pig Vomit: How can that be?
    Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
    Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
    Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
    Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
    Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

liam brady was the only proper pundit on rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i 2nd that

ever since brady left there has been thread over thead of the crapness of the RTE pundits , he was the man in the middle and now giles n dunphy just asslick each other.. houghtan aint far off it tbh

- in fairness i think ALOT of there critisism of liverpool is correct IMO , there is no way they`ll win the premiership because alot of there players are FKIN rubbish ( IMO ) lucas ....... kuyt ....... dossena ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Carturo wrote: »
    Seriously though, people getting worked up about it is just ridiculous.

no its not, fans believe and trust the tv pundits and the newspaper journalists, then those same fans appear on radio phone-ins giving out about the manager and its a snowball effect from there until the manager is sacked prematurely

if you have people like giles and dunphy critising a team thats winning what happens when they lose 4-5 on the bounce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nuxxx wrote: »
    i 2nd that

ever since brady left there has been thread over thead of the crapness of the RTE pundits , he was the man in the middle and now giles n dunphy just asslick each other.. houghtan aint far off it tbh

- in fairness i think ALOT of there critisism of liverpool is correct IMO , there is no way they`ll win the premiership because alot of there players are FKIN rubbish ( IMO ) lucas ....... kuyt ....... dossena ........

Kuyt is among the top players in the PL this season.

There is no way Utd will win the premier league cause a lot of players are rubbish, O'Shea-Park-Giggs.......see wat i did there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement