Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "What To Pack" Thread!

• 26-11-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So, hopefully this can be sticky. Had a look through the forum and I'm shocked that it doesn't exist already...

What would you advise to pack for an extended travel (a year around the world etc.) with backpacking in mind?

It'd be great to get a list of what everyone thinks they should need with them, and the necessities that people who have travelled before now realise will make your trip so much easier!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ooh good idea for a thread.
    I should know....but I can't think right now.
    A waterproof bag. A little one, just big enough for few essentials just incase. Passport etc, my camera was small enough to fit in it. Was helpful in the Amazon when everything got wet.

Toothbrush cover. Sounds crazy but really handy.

There's a very comprehensive list here: http://boards.bootsnall.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3883000737/m/91700711416?r=65600521416#65600521416

I don't think you need half of that, and remember just about everything can be gotten whereever you're going for a lot cheaper. Except some places don't have deet in their insect repellent so bring a bit of that.

As always, pack light!! Seriously, I think I've done serious damage to my back :).
    Did you say you're going with a girl? Hate to talk of such delicate subjects here but if she takes the pill, she should bring a big supply of it. You can get it over the counter in most of Latin America but it can make for an embarrassing situation if your Spainsh is rusty and you don't know the Spanish is a simple "contraceptión".

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Tootbrush cover eh?

Well don't they just think of everything! As for the pill, I'd say if we tried asking around South America for it in Spanish with our very limited beginners espanol, we might end up dragged into the shady underworld of drug smuggling by accident!!!

I was thinking of waterproof bags already - these to be exact

Also a Travel Adaptor, a Travel Cushion, a very Portable Towel

and my trusty iPod (his name is Charlie!)

Lonely Planets keeps telling me to MAKE SURE I bring a "Universal Sink Plug" but I don't know where or why I'd get one of those?

Oh and RE: the pill - I've just been informed that she's getting a perscription for a year and bringing that with her

Listening to: The Walkmen - On The Water via FoxyTunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

u can get a universal bath plug in most camping stores. got one in millets. quite a handy thing really.
    and as for the pill, was awfully prepared, got prescription before i left ireland, and was told in oz that presc. has to be an australian one. so had to fork out for doctor. sigh. shoulda stocked up more over the counter in bangkok.

I can see how they'd be useful, for washing clothes and maybe shaving, but I never had one and survived fine. Plastic bag does the same job, but it might be easier to use than a plastic bag.
    A really good waterproof jacket might be a good idea too. A real waterproof one which would be pretty pricey. It's hard to avoid the rain out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Yep, good thread. Lemme think.

I recommend a silk sleeping bag liner (or cotton if you don't want to pay extra for the silk one, just the silk really has a cooling effect in a stuffy hot room) because there are times when you just do not want to lay your body down on that dodgy dodgy mattress. The one time I didn't use one I got ravaged by bedbug bites in Vientiene.
    Also a headlamp. Sounds stupid, but is brilliant for reading on buses, or for places where there's no electricity or if the electricity cuts out, which has happened a lot for me, it's much handier than a torch. You have both hands free! And you get to look like a miner. Double success.
    A nice little medical bag with general antibiotics (ask your doctor to recommend a broad spectrum one), anti-diarrhoea pills, painkillers, rennies, just stuff you might need in general, it's good to have it in case you're on a 18 hour bus journey and you start feeling dodge.
    I'd bring hardly any clothes and buy them when I got there. Well, that's if you're starting in SE Asia anyway. You'll save a couple of hundred quid on clothes and cosmetics and toiletries.
    Runners. Sometimes you just need them. I've worn them maybe 5 or 6 times, but i've been so glad when I've had them.
    Bring at least one pair of jeans. Sometimes you get so sick of looking like a scruffy backpacker. Put on your jeans and feel normal for a few hours.
    A few padlocks. One for your backpack and one for your bedroom door if it's possible to padlock it. Lots are.
    Mosquito spray. If you're very prone bring some of the 50%Deet ones from Ireland, cos I haven't seen any stronger than 20% in Asia yet (but I keep looking cos they eat me!)
    Tiger balm is amazing, it heals all wounds, repels all insects, prevents travel sickness, cure headaches, it is my favourite thing in the world. But you can get it cheaper out here! But buy it.
    Yeah definitely a rainproof jacket, and a rainproof cover for your backpack cos sometimes it ends up on the roof, and it can rain even if not officially rainy season.
    Malaria tablets. Very important.
    A light scarf. Brilliant for protection from dust/sun/rain/chilly nights/insects.
    Baby powder. If you're going to a hot country you will just sweat and sweat and sweat. Douse yourself with baby powder, it'll soak up all the moisture and you'll feel and clean and smell sweet as a babys bum.

Ok. That's enough outta me.

Oh yea, can't believe I forgot the silk bed liner! I got a cheap cotton on in Aldi, but the girl I was travelling with had a lovely silk one.
    Also handy to have some sort of blanket if you're going to be spending nights on overnight buses in South America. I went crazy and even brought a blow up pillow. Made sleeping on buses slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

a swiss army knife, a piece of string and a flash light (small maglights are ideal)

a swiss army knife, a piece of string and a flash light (small maglights are ideal)

What about a paperclip??? Doesn't Macgyver need a paperclip to fashion some sort of nuclear bomb?

Yes, paperclip also.

You'll thank me when you're in the middle of no where with some papers that just won't stay together.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of getting this between myself and my girlfriend too. (Just google Dell Inspiron Mini 9 if the link doesn't work - it can be tempermental)

It's ultra-tiny, lightweight and portable and performs your basic computer functions like web, iTunes, has it's own webcam for chat etc.

It doesn't have a CD burner (or drive) though, so I was thinking of getting this or this with it. The idea is that it will make backing up photos a hell of a lot easier than looking for an internet café every time. Although, i worry cos i hear that you can't get into Cuba with anything with a CD / DVD burner? I suppose worst case scenario they confiscate the external burner but leave the laptop cos it doesn't have one?

Anyone done a trip with a laptop? Was it a help / hindrance? This one I picked because it's so small and light and also cos it's so cheap! I wouldn't be too worried if i lost it or it was stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

What about a paperclip??? Doesn't Macgyver need a paperclip to fashion some sort of nuclear bomb?

lol, i agree that the string may seem strange but i can guarantee you that at one point in time during your travels either you or someone you are travelling with will ask the question: "has someone got a piece of string by any chance, i need to sort out...":P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

My essentials for a year's backpacking:

-SILK sleeping bag liner. Got my money's worth a hundred times over. A must buy.
    -Don't bring fancy drysacks, zip lock bags do the same job :)
    -DON'T BRING JEANS :) - too heavy and take too long to dry. You can buy a cheap pair if you're going to Oz, but for Asia it's a waste of space and weight.
    -Buy the pill over the counter in Bangkok - I bought loads and cost a couple of euro a pack (and I'm not pregnant :))
    -I wouldn't bother with a laptop - you'll be worried about it and it'll be a hindrence, and you'll need to carry chargers etc, i.e a pain. There are cheap (and airconditioned) internet cafes EVERYWHERE! What we did for photos was to burn them to a cd or dvd and post them home.
    -I'd consider not evening bringing a mobile phone, see above and use skype!
    -Toothbrush cover ..
    -I got one of those tiny washing lines and it was very handy for drying your smalls in your room!

RE: the laptop

I don't know. At first, I was very against bringing a laptop with me, for many of the same reasons mentioned above, but I know a group who are travelling the world at the mo and it seems to be helping them along nicely.

They write their blogs and emails on word on long bus rides across South America, then it's just a matter of uploading them when they get to an internet connection. Also, they can do things like edit their video footage to make a very cool youtube (click here - a great video!) and send to everyone else from their tour in South America (all done from the 13 hour plane to New Zealand!)

i was also planning on burning photos to CD and posting home, but wouldn't that be so much easier to do with a laptop? i.e. when you've nothing to do on the internet, but your SD card is full, you can just connect up and burn without having to go find and pay for an internet café.

Also at €300, I'm more worried about losing my iPod than the laptop!!! Any other views? Am I really naiive here, being a virgin traveller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Personally... for a few months of backpacking I bring (this is including what I might be wearing at the time):

Sleeping bag - as compact as possible
    Towel, not too big
    1 big, warm, coat
    1 jumper
    2 pairs of trousers
    about 3 tshirts, one with long sleeves, and 1 real shirt
    1 or 2 shorts/swimming togs
    1 pair of decent runners, 1 pair of boots
    about 5 pairs socks/underwear

Phone + charger + converter + headphones
    Small med pack (paracetemol, bandage, etc. - the basics)
    Toothbrush, floss, condoms
    Nailclippers and soap, in a box
    A compass, sunglasses and a set of earplugs
    Daytime backpack

Journal + pen
    Chess set and at least one present at all times, you never know who you might meet!

Hidden spare credit card and cash ;)
    Copy of passport photo page, travel and medical insurance

Max weight of 10kg, excluding the coat!

All in a breathable bag as opposed to something incredibly waterproof, otherwise the contents just end up stinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I knew I was forgetting something....

Good lists are
    http://www.travelblog.org/Travel-Guide/packing-1.html (I think this is too much)
    http://www.onebag.com/checklist.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I know what you're saying about the laptop, and you do have a point. It would have come in handy alright for certain times during our trip, but over all, I'm glad we didn't have the responsibility. I'd actually suggest leaving the iPod behind too and bringing a cheap mp3 player. Do you want to have such a valuable item in a straw hut held closed by a flimsy padlock? If you had a laptop too, you might be more complacent in sending photos home, and then if it gets nicked, you could have months of irreplacable stuff stolen.

The problem for me is what you do with all these valuables when you're on a bus for 10 hours? Your main bag in under in the hold (you don't want to put anything here!) - so in your bag on your lap will be your laptop, your camera, your iPod, a top, water, journal etc etc .... you're going to have to treat these valuables like children, and not let them out of your sight! It's a real pain sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Bring a laptop! But only if you're prepared to fork out for decent insurance. I didn't bring one and I regretted it. Free wi-fi in pretty much every country we visited, I can imagine it would save you money in the end, I spent a lot in internet cafes, and even more burning cds of photos to send home.

This might sound a little crazy but I brought about 10 zip lock bags and they were in valuable. I'd second the cover for the toothbrush. And a decent washbag, saw loads of people with washbags with loads of compartments and some that you could hang from a hook. My crappy one bust within a week and was the bane of my life, everything kept spilling!!! I picked up a bar of laundry soap which was great when you were running out of knickers and no time for laundrette.

Try and be as selective as possible with what you're packing, you will end up throwing out half the stuff after a month, everyone in our group over packed!

I would totally disagree with the sleeping bag, you can rent them anytime you need them.

I know I have to do it, but I'm gonna find it VERY hard to only bring 3 t-shirts and two pairs of shorts for an entire year!

I'm only in the very early stages of planning my packing (not leaving til March) so this is only what I'm half-thinking of as of yet.

Clothes-wise, I'm prob gonna bring 4 t-shirts, 2 shirts (short-sleeve), 3 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans (I know, I know), 1 pair of chords, flip flop / sandals, one jumper, one jacket, one rain poncho.

Technology will be my iPod Charlie (can't leave him behind!), phone, camera, video camera (very small), mini laptop (most likely), blank CDs, iPod to camera connector (to store photos on iPod as flash drive if needed, about the size of an eraser).

Then most of the small stuff like string / clothes line, goggles, rain-cover for bag, a universal sink plug (i guess!) etc. Most of what you said above.

Gonna separate stuff in little plastic bags in the backpack for easy access too, i think

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I picked up a mini laptop in Chiang mai for E350 (worth about E500 at home), and I love it to bits. Yeah you have to worry about it a bit more, but then you just make sure you either keep it with you at all times or shove it in the safety deposit box in the hostel. Easy peasy. It makes blogging and sorting out photos much easier. But yeah, definitely it's one thing extra to worry about.

And a travel towel. They're mad handy.

And photos of your family. Great when you're chatting to local people.

• Advertisement

I brought a 15'' Apple laptop when I went away. I brought it because I was a female travelling alone, so figured I need something to keep me occupied the nights I don't go out. It was heavy, and I was constantly worried about it. In some countries guys would take my bags for me, they'd get really offended that I wouldn't let them carry mine. It wasn't that I thought they'd steal it, but they'd carry 4 at a time and be so wrecked they'd throw them down when they got to where the bags needed to be. I'd be almost in tears at the thought of my laptop being thrown!

I couldn't have imagined sitting in a noisy net cafe writing a blog. For that alone it was worth it, just next time I'd get the lightest laptop possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I forgot this earlier... a pack of cards. Really handy past the time in bus stations, airports and one the nights where you're broke and cant afford to do anything!!

Also found having an extra memory card and an extra camera battery (mine has its own battery so didnt have the backup of AA batteries) Handy esp on 3/4 day trips where you've no access to electricity(jungle trips and what not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Ducktape! Has a thousand uses and packs really small.

I'd agree that bringing a small laptop like the dell inspiron would be handy.

and maybe the nintendo ds :p

train my brain while i travel? dare i live out the nintendo dream??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

To the guy who said about bringing presents, I would bring a few flags of your country/county/state whatever, its a nice touch and people will always talk about it to their friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

train my brain while i travel? dare i live out the nintendo dream??

+1

I'm bringing my ds with me for my 3 month trip in Tanzania...it will save my life :)

Woo! Just bought my rucksack!!

Supposedly it's not "technically" a rucksack, because it's a panel loader... I got the Berghaus Jalon 60L with an attached daypack of 15L.

It's very compact for the capacity (we looked at a Lowe Alpine one of the same capacity that was much bulkier) mainly because it's a little bit wider. The back-support system is great on it too.

I got the guy's 60L one and my girlfriend got the 55L one. Now just to get some stuff to put into it... Getting excited now! 50 days to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I brought a 30L backpack for a 2 month trip - 8kg full packed
    A good compromise on laptop/phone is a phone with wi-fi like the Nokia E51.
    The gmail app is geat for checking gmail. And fring is great for skype.
    I found this site excellent for packing advice and general travel advice.
    My tips:
    - Penknife not necessary
    - Flashlight not necessary
    - If yer going to a only hot climate only bring sandles (I was going via London so brought and old pair of runners, which got dumped on arrival at HKG)

Footwear adds alot of weight/space, so consider what you'll really need.
    Remember if you forget to pack something you can buy it abroad, normally cheaper than home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I don't think there's a huge amount of stuff that you actually need. You can pick anything up along the way. I'd say the most important thing is not to bring too much. A small, light backpack will make your life so much easier.

Whatever clothes you're bringing depends on where you're going. For travel in Asia I brought two pairs of shorts, three tshirts and some underwear. Most of my bag was taken up with boots, medication and toiletries. Don't bring runners or jeans as they're useless. Flip flops are the way to go.

1) Travel towel - probably the best thing I brought with me. I used to think they were just a gimmick but they fold up really small and dry really fast. A normal towel just gets really smelly after a few days.

2) I think a laptop would be nice to have but they're heavy, take up a lot of space and are another thing you have to worry about. I'd take it to a western country but not to Asia etc.

3) The previous poster said a pen knife and a flashlight aren't necessary but I've used both items constantly over the last few months. Penknife mostly for the scissors but also the can opener and most importantly, the cork scew! Again, I think these are items that you need if you're doing a lot of camping/hiking/living in a van etc.

4) Lots of medication. You want to have it when you need it so don't wait until you're barfing your brains out before looking for Motilium! I used a lot of throat lozenges, plasters and pain killers.

5) Buy SMALL amounts of toiletries. A tiny tube of toothpaste or shampoo will last weeks or even months and you can always get more whenever you need.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement