Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VISTA SP1 - Blue screen of death

• 27-11-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Got a major problem with my Dell XPS M1710.

Was installing Vista SP1 which seemed to have gone ok until it started checking the new files.

After a number of attempts to repair the system I gave up.

Brought the laptop to a repair shop to get data off. They say they were succeessful. Cannot check tho.

Now have a message / blue screen which never appeared for me before shop visit.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000c1F5 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

What does that message mean?

Is it possible to recover the hard disk from being a door stop?

Can I use the original Dell Vista DVD on another Dell / non Dell supplied hard drive?

Any tips advice etc welcome

HPMan

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The vista license is per partition AND oem is only for the original computer.

that stop seems to be software, so the drive should be ok even if the software is out of whack

Try installing windows to a different folder if it allows you to do that. Instead of c:\windows put it in c:\winnt or visa-versa then you if you can boot up you can use it. If you want it in c:\windows then use the working copy to rename the folder you don't want and install it in c:\windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭HPMan

Hi Cap'n,

think you are saying the Vista DVD is in effect locked to the original hard drive. Cannot Dell link the DVD to a new hard drive aka what Sky does with its card and Sky box - they can re-pair an old card to a different (old or new) Sky box?

I cannot access the laptop at all as the BSOD appears and I do not know how to reinstall Vista in a new folder under these circumstances. (I knew I should have gemmed myself up on MS-DOS, lol).

Any more help appreciated.

HPMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭HPMan

Hi all, again.

I got myself to the point where the laptop does not have the BSOD and the STOP notice. I used SysresCD to delete a troublesome log file.

On DVD boot with Vista DVD I have option to install Windows or Repair Computer. I used repair computer. It goes off doing its checks but cannot repair.

I have ran the built in diag tool for all items and it failed on "a stuck key" - message reads: "keyboard continously transmitting a scan code of 98h" - system is a Dell XPS M1710 laptop.

Two other codes came up - 0600:4719 and 0600:5219

The first came up because the XPS panel (top) remained Ruby when the fans (sides) and speakers (front) went emerald

The second came up because the panel remained Ruby when the other locations went diamond

What does this mean? What part of the laptop is broken or failing?
    A test on the hard disk comes back with no problems.

Can anyone give me any help in booting into Vista and the successful installation of SP1 (I know SP2 is on its way!!) without any loss of data.

Regards,

HPMan

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Make sure the hard drive is plugged in and your ram is seated properly. If your ram is faulty you will have to send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

HPMan wrote: »

I have ran the built in diag tool for all items and it failed on "a stuck key" - message reads: "keyboard continously transmitting a scan code of 98h" - system is a Dell XPS M1710 laptop.

They stuck key is probably your biggest stumbling block.

make sure each individual key isn't stuck with coffee or anything!!
    you can pull each key off to clean it.. it'll clip right back on with a firm push.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They stuck key is probably your biggest stumbling block.

make sure each individual key isn't stuck with coffee or anything!!
    you can pull each key off to clean it.. it'll clip right back on with a firm push.
    DO NOT pull the keys on a laptop they can break easily

98h - try ins on the key pad
    next try Alt / Del

Advertisement