Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra Steering

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I have an 07 vectra 1.6 with a steering problem. It seems as though the steering is very sensitive, for example when driving over road markings the wheel thats on the marking wants to track along it. Driving on a bumpy road is a lottery the car could end up pointing in any direction. I noticed last night that anytime I turn the steering wheel the headlights flicker. Another thing, although it normally tracks to the left (with the road camber) after hitting a bump it can track the other way... I have had it in main dealers a few times, first they balanced and swapped round the front wheels the next time they said there was nothing wrong until I showed them that the rear dampers were completely shot (aswell as the dodgy steering - that was fun...) (I still want to know how a mechanic did'nt notice that on a test drive?) The last time I brought it in (last week) the foreman took it for a drive and said that that was'nt unusual for the vectra and I would just have to live with it.
    I am going to get in touch with Opel Ireland about this - I cant believe this is normal. I would like to know if anybody else has had this experience? did Opel do anything about it? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Doesn't sound normal to me at all. It doesn't have silly wheels on it though, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You need a special tool to resolve that issue, it's common enough on the Vectra's, especially older ones, see pic attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Anan - naw has the wheels it came with... 16" steel

Darragh - yeah I know what you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds very like what my audi A5 does, Tracks with the road camber too stongly and then if unsettled over bumps, anything could happen. Nobody can find fault with my car and are blaming the big (factory spec) wheels.
    In your case though, the rear shocks are going to make things worse so get those sorted first. Check front shocks, tracking and general suspension wear.

Got the shocks done immediately - showed the bouncy castle to the mechanic - "Oh yeah they're gone alright we'll change them for you..."
    Got all the other checks done the other day (well they said they did) in the garage. Said that they could find no problems. Tracking OK suspension OK nothing loose or worn. I have some concerns about the steering box though They dont seem to want to look at that. Good luck with the A5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

com1 wrote: »
    Got the shocks done immediately - showed the bouncy castle to the mechanic - "Oh yeah they're gone alright we'll change them for you..."
    Got all the other checks done the other day (well they said they did) in the garage. Said that they could find no problems. Tracking OK suspension OK nothing loose or worn. I have some concerns about the steering box though They dont seem to want to look at that. Good luck with the A5

Yes Steering rack could be the problem and interestingly, I have heard a rumour that an A5 with a problem like mine had its rack changed and cured the problem but Im trying to get to the bottom of that one. May indeed be the way forward for you.
    I would double check the tracking though if I was you. Garages can get it so wrong you would not believe and it will cause these problems.

In case anybodies interested, the problem was sorted with a change of tyres. Stuck 4 new tyres on it and its like a new car...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

Mickdw,

I have the same problem with new model A4, did you get it sorted??

Advertisement