Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T9oi Eletric Shower Installation

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am currently installing a Triton t90i Power shower at home. Competent DIY'er so most of the work done, 10mm source, double pole pull cord switch and 45A mcb on the board bus waiting hook up. Will get an eletrician to confirm and finish off but just so I know what to expect as legit outstanding work could I ask the following.

Q1 The doc's recommends at least an 83A Fused main board. Ours is a 63A Hagel main switch. Can I change/upgrade the main switch and up the fuse myself. Would it knock anything else out of whack. What would this take/involve or must the spark do something seperately, mini board or something?

Q2 Also recommends 4mm earthing directly back to the board. I have what appears to be 2mm, about half the size of the normal cross bonding on the bath pipework? Would this do?

Thanks for any help/advice offered ....

T.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

You cant up the main fuse you shouldnt need to anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

And obviously use an RCBO rather than an MCB

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deltris

davelerave wrote: »
    You cant up the main fuse you shouldnt need to anyway .
    So apart from needing the spark does it mean they should run in another device/unit to hold the RCBO seperate to the CU or can the RCBO exist on the CU bus already there. In other words what I should expect by way of work they SHOULD DO?

Surprised also the literature for the shower only states to use an MCB, not something which provides overload and earth leakage. As I said only got it last year. You would imagine they would at least reflect best practise and the industry regulations for the device

Thanks anyhow for tha reply, appreciate it ....

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

deltris wrote: »
    So apart from needing the spark does it mean they should run in another device/unit to hold the RCBO seperate to the CU or can the RCBO exist on the CU bus already there. In other words what I should expect by way of work they SHOULD DO?

Surprised also the literature for the shower only states to use an MCB, not something which provides overload and earth leakage. As I said only got it last year. You would imagine they would at least reflect best practise and the industry regulations for the device

Thanks anyhow for tha reply, appreciate it ....

T

The rcbo will prob fit in the box if theres room the spark should test insulation resistance,loop impedance and rcbo (sounds a lot takes 5 minutes )and check the supply and earthing

davelerave wrote: »
    The rcbo will prob fit in the box if theres room the spark should test insulation resistance,loop impedance and rcbo (sounds a lot takes 5 minutes )and check the supply and earthing
    Excellent, thanks again, you the man !!!!

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

deltris wrote: »
    Q2 Also recommends 4mm earthing directly back to the board. I have what appears to be 2mm, about half the size of the normal cross bonding on the bath pipework? Would this do?

The cable you have installed to feed the shower should be three core, Live neutral and earth. If you bought this from an irish supplier then the earth will be bigger than 2.sq.mm if its a 10.sq.mm cable. depending on the cable you used, if the brown and blue cores are 10.sq.mm cable, the earth should be 6.sq.mm or 10.sq.mm

Stoner wrote: »
    The cable you have installed to feed the shower should be three core, Live neutral and earth. If you bought this from an irish supplier then the earth will be bigger than 2.sq.mm if its a 10.sq.mm cable. depending on the cable you used, if the brown and blue cores are 10.sq.mm cable, the earth should be 6.sq.mm or 10.sq.mm
    yep, its twin and earth 10mm. While I have you it struck me, the cross bonding of the pipework to the shower unit should that be terminated at the earth clamp, and not returned to the CU. Is this correct? In other words does it require a dedicated earth, cross bonded and contniued back to the CU. This was my refernece to the 4mm earth (If it does I can run it and avoid maybe the spark doing it which hopefully keeps the job to testing/confirming)

Thanks for posting ....

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry, but what cross bonding, this is a T 90 correct? with only one water pipe input (most likely a plastic pipe) the earth in the cable is to connect the shower directly to the consumer unit, equipotential bonding is a different issue, for this shower you require a direct earth connection back to the board, the earth in the 10.sq.mm T+E cable will do this for you.

i.e the dedicated earth you have is in the T+E cable and should connect to the shower and terminate directly at the consumer unit,

I hope this helps.

Stoner wrote: »
    Sorry, but what cross bonding, this is a T 90 correct? with only one water pipe input (most likely a plastic pipe) the earth in the cable is to connect the shower directly to the consumer unit, equipotential bonding is a different issue, for this shower you require a direct earth connection back to the board, the earth in the 10.sq.mm T+E cable will do this for you.

i.e the dedicated earth you have is in the T+E cable and should connect to the shower and terminate directly at the consumer unit,

I hope this helps.
    It will be a spark to do, but wanted to avoid making runs for something that is not needed. Cross bonding was referring to other piping already there for the bath which is cross bonded (shower is housed over it). As you say the earth from T+E will do the job of earthing. Its just the literature stated it should have a dedicated earth back to the box, makes it seem as if it should have its own run just as other pipework is crossbonded. This was throwing me ....

Anyhow it will get done ....

Thanks again ...

T.

Advertisement