Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my 3yr old girl with down syndrome cannot start playschool due to budget cuts in educ

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

we recently had our daughters psychologist out to the house for an updated assessment of her developmental progress as she has down syndrome, he sais she was "very clever" and recommended that she start play school as she would benefit from the stimulation of her peers, so I approached the local playschool who said they would welcome her but she would need a special needs assistant which I fully understood , but when I investigated getting her an SNA I have been informed that she probably wont get one due to the budget cuts, so in essence she wont be able to attend playschool. I find it very disheartening that it seems to be the more vulnerable in society that have been targeted in this budget. Any suggestions or advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

That is terrible. I am sorry I cannot advise you on what you could do. I dont suppose you can afford to hire somone yourself? It is such a shame that the government can waste so much money on other stuff like hair do for mary harney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is there a playschool that already has an sna that might take her ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's awful.
    i would focus on the word "probably" there. They haven't said she definitely won't get an SNA so I think you need to make a lot of noise about it until you get one. It's unfortunate that that's how it is in this country :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giveitago

Hi mummyofds,
    That is really heartbreaking news. Is there another playschool in the area that can take your daughter? I work in a playschool and we have a child with DS, at the moment he attends with his mum as he cannot walk, but when he is up on his feet we are willing to work with him and his mum. Could you or a family member attend the playschool with your daughter? would they be willing to take your daughter for shorter periods of time and maybe manage without a sna? Early years placements are very important for the social and emotional development of all children. I really hope you can get your daughter a place don't give up hope , have a look around and see if there are any other playschools in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

I worked as an SNA for many years before moving into SEN teaching and I can really understand where you are coming from on this issue. Iv met alot of frustrated parents. It is a very horrible reality that the children with the most needs in our society are the ones that always get hit.

The thing I have to say is that the Education cuts this time have nothing really to do with SNA cuts now, it does impact on them, but there have been plans to reduce numbers of SNAs in schools for the last few years, ask any SNA this and they will tell you stories about sharing kids hours or my own personal experience, having 3 kids (all with different diagnos and needs!!) to look after in one day. :eek:

The department are making it increasingly harder for children with SENs to have help in mainstream schools. This is where the parents come in... you HAVE to fight for your childs SNA. I mean really fight, do not take no for an answer. Do not just leave it up to the school or her teacher or anybody else. You need to be involved. Forms need to be filled out, followed up. Departments need to be rang etc If her report says she needs one than you have to emphasise that, she may qualify for reduced hours which would be a start and you get to reapply for primary school. I would not loose hope just yet but you need to apply as soon as possible. Its gonna get harder for parents and these cutbacks do nothing to help.

I do agree with Thaedydal here:
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is there a playschool that already has an sna that might take her ?
    if there is an SNA in a playschool already, you may be more inclined to get some hours and that SNA can work with two kids (or more).
    I have seen so many families in your situation and I really do wish you all the luck in the world. My fingers are crossed for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

That is just horrible. The government should be ashamed of themselves. Surely they could have done something else to prevent this. I dont have any advice, just want to wish you the best of luck and hopefully something can be sorted out.

where do you live OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

OP hazler is right the only way to get services in this contry is to fight and absolutely torture all relevant departments! Im in the process of trying to get a sna for my little fella also it is very diheartning when you meet brick walls but you need to remember that your child has the right to have the same oppurtunities as another and if you dont fight for her nobody will!!! Sounds very harsh but as you go on you will see that children here and their families have a constant battle for everything! I hope it works out for you and your little girl

Advertisement