Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Fine - Experience?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 1:12am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I got two fines in the post a few weeks back for non display of tax. Which was news to me as I had paid and put up my tax disc over a month before.

What I never realised was I had accidentally put the tax disc in behind the old tax disc. Was in a rush to get to work that day and just chucked it in and drove off. Didn't really think twice. Silly, but hardly worthy of €120.

No chance I can even afford to pay this, so I guess I'm just waiting on a summons? What can I expect. Never had a problem with anything motor related before. Everything is always up to date.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Proof of payment before fine issued = getting away with it.

If not, you haven't really got a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

If it is a fine from the council you should try giving them a call. I got a fine sent to me before for a similar thing (was a big mix up- not my fault). I rang the office and they were very helpful. You can appeal the fine before it ever goes to court. I sent an email explaining it all and it was sorted that same day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Proof of payment before fine issued = getting away with it.

If not, you haven't really got a leg to stand on.

The above is true and correct.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Well, I have my credit card bill if that would suffice?

A few days after I got the fines I was actually in City Hall having a go at them about my parking permit, which they said was posted, then said they lost and then subsequently found in my file. Raged filled saga for a different thread. Anyway, they said they couldn't do anything about the fines and I'd have to deal with it in court.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Tazzle wrote: »

A few days after I got the fines I was actually in City Hall having a go at them about my parking permit, which they said was posted, then said they lost and then subsequently found in my file. Raged filled saga for a different thread. Anyway, they said they couldn't do anything about the fines and I'd have to deal with it in court.

yout tax disc is sufficient. It shows when you paid the tax.

Tax_1.gif

on this one 01/05/07

• Advertisement

If your bill shows a date for it, and one that is a day or two before the expiry date of your last disc(ie. to leave time for posting) you should have absolutely no problem. Although the 2 day thing isn't hugely nescessary, it would be benificial in your case.

Chief--- wrote: »
    yout tax disc is sufficient. It shows when you paid the tax.

Tax_1.gif

on this one 01/05/07

cheers man, thats perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Don't think you are going to get away with this one at all. The fine will just go up through the courts and you will end up worse off.

Even though you had the tax paid for and in your car, it wasn't on display. Same happened to me this time last year, had the tax paid for but not in the car - as it wasn't on display and fine came in the post.

If you check your fine it is not for not having tax, just not displaying it. So even though you had the tax... you may as well not have had it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Hey guys, I got two fines in the post a few weeks back for non display of tax. Which was news to me as I had paid and put up my tax disc over a month before.
    Vikings wrote: »
    Don't think you are going to get away with this one at all. The fine will just go up through the courts and you will end up worse off.

Even though you had the tax paid for and in your car, it wasn't on display. Same happened to me this time last year, had the tax paid for but not in the car - as it wasn't on display and fine came in the post.

If you check your fine it is not for not having tax, just not displaying it. So even though you had the tax... you may as well not have had it at all!

I was thinking the same thing, the fine is for non display of tax which is exactly what it says on the box/fine and you admitted that the tax disc wasn't been displayed. If you were fined/summonsed for having no tax then its a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DonJose wrote: »
    the fine is for non display of tax

+1

• Advertisement

Hmm, there was no malice in it. Hopefully the judge won't see it as being so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hopefully the judge won't see it as being so black and white.

It was an honest mistake and hopefully the judge will recognise it as that. Let us know how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Good luck getting it sorted out. It's a very easy mistake to make.

Was the fine from a Garda or a traffic warden? If it was a Garda, talk to someone in the district office of the Garda station local to where you got the ticket.

If it was from a warden, then the local authority/corporation traffic section should be able to get it sorted. If it's gone to their solicitor, then drop a note to them with a copy of the disc and the visa receipt.

In any of the above cases, you will have to write in and furnish proff (copies of disc and bill) in other to appeal the fine. Bear in mind that you have a limited time period for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Apologies for the stupid question but why couldn’t you remove the old disk and replace with the new one???

A few seconds doing this and you wouldn't have this mess.

Just a thought???

buzzard wrote: »
    Apologies for the stupid question but why couldn’t you remove the old disk and replace with the new one???

A few seconds doing this and you wouldn't have this mess.

Just a thought???

Didn't realise the mistake, and got the tickets in the mean time.............

Advertisement