Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaka expresses interest in City

• 27-11-2008 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

That's right folks.

Ordinarily this would go on the City thread but surely it's too big a story to only be viewed by about 5 people.

Basically Kaka was interviewed by SSN tonight. He said -
    Kaka:'Now I think the Premier League is the best championship in the world, so one day maybe, I dunno when, it would be great to play in the Premier League'

Reporter: 'Would you be interested in joining Manchester City?'

Kaka: (Big Smile) 'Yes, I have a lot of friends there, so I'm watching some games, I speak with Robinho, Elano sometimes about Manchester City'

There is a story on the Sky Sports website about it as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I went to the story, http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4554394,00.html
    AC Milan playmaker Kaka has told Sky Sports News that it would be 'great' to play in the Premier League 'one day'.

The reigning Fifa World Player of the Year has regularly been linked with a move to England, having been rumoured to interest Chelsea in the past.

Reports have also claimed that Manchester City would be keen to sign the Brazilian following the Abu Dhabi United Group's takeover at Eastlands.

Kaka is currently in England preparing for Milan's Uefa Cup tie with Portsmouth on Thursday night when he will have the chance to wow the Fratton Park crowd.

And, in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News, the 26-year-old revealed he would be keen to test his talent in the Premier League in the future.
    Best championship

"I like very much the Premier League," Kaka told Sky Sports News.

"It's a very tough championship, but there are a lot of big players and a lot of big teams, so now I think it's the best championship in the world.

"So, one day maybe, I don't know when, but it would be great to play in England."

Kaka's compatriot Robinho joined City for a British transfer record fee as the August transfer window closed and he has sparkled in the Premier League.

When asked if he would be interested in joining City, Kaka replied: "I have a lot of friends that are playing there, so I watch some games.

"I speak with Robinho and Elano sometimes about Manchester City."

but I don't see the word, Yes.

I bet he gets asked that question when Milan play in Spain too about Real or Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The article is apparently only partly quoting him. The full interview will be on SSN at 6am I've been told.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

To me,that looks like the Reporter fishing for a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The article is apparently only partly quoting him. The full interview will be on SSN at 6am I've been told.

*raises eyebow.

and you know this how?

*raises eyebow.

and you know this how?

What do you mean? I do know more City fans than just me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

AND SO IT BEGINS.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    AND SO IT BEGINS.

Indeed it does.

The Telegraph today gives a rundown of our targets and the likelihood of us getting them -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/3525190/Manchester-Citys-transfer-window-first-eleven-the-players-on-Mark-Hughes-list-Football.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

One day = 31year old on a 5 year mega bucks contract ;)

But it would be great to see him in premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Surprised at this. Kaka always seems like a player who has plenty of integrity. Money doesnt seem to motivate him in the way it does other players.

The thing is though, if he doesn't care about the money and wants to play in the Prem then City are still the club he would most likely go to because of his relationship Robinho and Elano.

That in itself will really work in our favour.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Surprised at this. Kaka always seems like a player who has plenty of integrity. Money doesnt seem to motivate him in the way it does other players.

He hasn't even said anything though.

Also money doesn't motivate him, Jesus does.
    kaka-i-belong-to-jesus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

large_flag_of_brazil.gif

The thing is though, if he doesn't care about the money and wants to play in the Prem then City are still the club he would most likely go to because of his relationship Robinho and Elano.

Kaka earns (estimate) 144k (stg) a week, the highest paid footballer ... it sounds like he does care about money to me :D

http://www.goal.com/EN/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=644283

Even better then cause we'll be the only ones able to afford his wages AND provide him with instant mates! :D

610x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why do i not have the same hatred of what Man city are doing that i do for what Chelsea have and are doing ? Anyone else feel this way ?

Thing about money is of course its going to be huge driving factor but the other thing with City is they are looking like they could build a genuine old style Real Madrid Galactika squad and what player wouldn't want to be part of that.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

hussey wrote:
    Kaka earns (estimate) 144k (stg) a week, the highest paid footballer ... it sounds like he does care about money to me
    Isnt Robinho on 160K sterling ? Sounds like Kaka wants himself a bit of that. Maybe he could wrangle himself a 200Kp/w deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

THERE ARE MORE OF YE? :eek:

oh god...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

city will be as wealthy as leeds after paying what milan will want for him and what he'll want to be paid.

methinks he's at milan for life.

el rabitos wrote: »
    city will be as wealthy as leeds after paying what milan will want for him and what he'll want to be paid.

methinks he's at milan for life.

Sorry but €1 Trillion - kaka = practically still €1 trillion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

JPA wrote: »
    Sorry but €1 Trillion - kaka = practically still €1 trillion

milan dont need the money. the amount city have is irrelevant tbh.

i dont see him ever leaving unless his wife tells him to, besides, he's more than likely going to be captain when maldini retires in 2024

• Advertisement

SofaK wrote: »
    Isnt Robinho on 160K sterling ? Sounds like Kaka wants himself a bit of that. Maybe he could wrangle himself a 200Kp/w deal.
    Actually that link is April 2008, so prob Robinho and any summer increases were not included .... but still 144k a week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This will never happen. Kaka is at Milan for many years to come i reckon.
    Next captain of that club & he seems to be happy there!
    Elano can't attract him as Elano will be gone from City in Jan or in summer for sure.
    City have so much money, but will get maybe 1 big signing in Jan and thats it..will still finish about 10th this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hey, I know him as well ;)

it's fantasy football time for Hughes at the moment, he appears to have more money than God.

i don't see why anyone would not want to go to Man City. I expect them to be playing regular european football, they have good facilities and are a global brand, all be it a smaller one then their city rivals.

I do genuinely fear for the future of the premiership with all this money coming in, but good luck to city, the second division nightmare must seem a million light years away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

That's right folks.

Ordinarily this would go on the City thread but surely it's too big a story to only be viewed by about 5 people.

Basically Kaka was interviewed by SSN tonight. He said -

Reporter: 'Would you be interested in joining Manchester City?'

Kaka: (Big Smile) 'Yes, I have a lot of friends there, so I'm watching some games, I speak with Robinho, Elano sometimes about Manchester City'

There is a story on the Sky Sports website about it as well.

Let just remove the comma and see if the meaning changes a bit. I think the version below is a bit more realistic.

Kaka: (Big Smile) 'Yes I have a lot of friends there, so I'm watching some games, I speak with Robinho, Elano sometimes about Manchester City'

no comma in report below. :) I bet SSN think it should be there though, helps keep 24 hour news ticking over :pac::pac:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/3526798/Kaka-warms-to-idea-of-Manchester-City-move-Football.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

opr wrote: »
    Why do i not have the same hatred of what Man city are doing that i do for what Chelsea have and are doing ? Anyone else feel this way ?

When they start winning things then people will start hating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Do you honestly think that, had the Arabs not bought city, that Kaka would choose them over any of the big four just because he has a couple of mates there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Do you honestly think that, had the Arabs not bought city, that Kaka would choose them over any of the big four just because he has a couple of mates there?

Would love to see him the Prem. Surely trophies would be more of an incentive for him. Obviously City aren't going to win anything this year, not with Hughes anyway. I reckon the City management will be a factor (if there's any chance of him at all joining).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

When they start winning things then people will start hating them.

Yeah i think at the moment the fact i get great entertainment from watching the circus unfold mixed with seeing some samba football from the likes of Robinhio while them not being a real threat as of yet has alot to do with it.

The fact they stopped Chelsea getting Robinhio has some part in it too.

I guess being Irish the begrudgery won't take hold until success on the field really starts to come :)

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here's the video: http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12602_4555730,00.html?ssvTab=1&ssvSelectedTab=12599&ssvBasket=12602&ssvPage=1

I can't really listen (in college), but from what I can get he says:

"I have alot of friends there... I speak with Robinho, Elano... but I don't know... [I don't think Manchester City]"

Did I mishear the last part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

If I was Hughes, I would be looking to invest in defensive players and build a solid base before splashing huge sums on the likes of Kaka. No sense having Kaka and Robinho and still conceding soft goals left, right and centre.

Would be brilliant to see Kaka in the league though, when he is in full flow he is as good as anyone ever to play the game.

Of course not but the facts are there - we have Elano who spoke to Robinho about joining and the two will spek to Kaka. They are great mates at Brazil.

We also have Jo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm suspicious that Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan bribed God to put in a word for City to the wee man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

best player in the world imo.
    hope he signs.
    robinho AND kaka!!!
    and money doesn't buy you happiness?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

staker wrote: »
    and money doesn't buy you happiness?:rolleyes:

'Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'-Spike Milligan.

Much like Real Madrid I fear City are pursiung the Gallachtico route which hearlds great excitment at the signing point and few flash goals early on but ultimately a dressing room of combustable egos. They should go down the Chelsea route of building a team who can play together, not a team of big names. However, ultimately both City and Chelsea will fail and I will be a happy man when they do.

themont85 wrote: »
    'Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery'-Spike Milligan.

Much like Real Madrid I fear City are pursiung the Gallachtico route which hearlds great excitment at the signing point and few flash goals early on but ultimately a dressing room of combustable egos. They should go down the Chelsea route of building a team who can play together, not a team of big names.

But by having Robinho, Elano, Kaka and Jo would we not be doing both seeing as they already play together for Brazil?
    However, ultimately both City and Chelsea will fail and I will be a happy man when they do.

Liverpool/United fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If these crazy Arabs do an Abramovich with City and the likes of Kaka, Fabregas, Buffon and half a dozen others arrive then I would seriously be worried about City unsurping United as the biggest club in Machester. We have seen clubs like Liverpool and Villa been taken over and the press speculating huge spending spree's which never materialised.

I read somewhere the other day that this arab is rumoured to be worth €50 Billion. It would nearly make me sick to see City outbid United for a player but sure if they can outbid Chelsea the United will have to play 3rd fiddle. I dont think reputation will be of any advantage to United as Chelsea didnt have much of one and were not even considered a big european side yet all the greedy bastards flocked to them for the cash. I can see the same thing happening with City.

On Kaka he would be a wonderful addition to the premiership.

redout wrote: »
    If these crazy Arabs do an Abramovich with City and the likes of Kaka, Fabregas, Buffon and half a dozen others arrive then I would seriously be worried about City unsurping United as the biggest club in Machester. We have seen clubs like Liverpool and Villa been taken over and the press speculating huge spending spree's which never materialised.

I read somewhere the other day that this arab is rumoured to be worth €50 Billion. It would nearly make me sick to see City outbid United for a player but sure if they can outbid Chelsea the United will have to play 3rd fiddle. I dont think reputation will be of any advantage to United as Chelsea didnt have much of one and were not even considered a big european side yet all the greedy bastards flocked to them for the cash. I can see the same thing happening with City.

On Kaka he would be a wonderful addition to the premiership.

Lol try closer to 700 billion pounds sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

But by having Robinho, Elano, Kaka and Jo would we not be doing both seeing as they already play together for Brazil?

Yep sure, but its clear from what the owners were at it August going after any big name they could that it was the NAME that was important not his ability to play in the team. No denying that they have a nice mix of Brazillians who all play together and Robiniho has done fantastic,but if their whole plan is to get big name players-looking at the history of such ventures its doomed to failure imo.

Liverpool/United fan?

Nope. More of an Everton follower really but i always had a soft spot for United i'd admit because i loved their brand of football. I just don't like the idea of sugar daddys bankrolling a club for short term success. This can't last and isn't good for the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Isnt Elano being sold as he doesnt get on with hughes?

I cant see him giving Kaka a glowing reference of life at City if thats the case!

& i dont really picture Kaka and Robinho being particularly close! Quite different characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If this happens it will be for in excess of 100million, an to be honest, I'd be tempted.

We have Gourcuff coming back from loan next season to soften the blow if we did lose him, along with the 5 world class players we could buy from his money added to the 60million spending money carlito has for the summer, we'd be able to fill the holes in defence.

But I'd rather he stayed.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Isnt Elano being sold as he doesnt get on with hughes?

I cant see him giving Kaka a glowing reference of life at City if thats the case!

There have been problems but no one knows what the story is now.
    & i dont really picture Kaka and Robinho being particularly close! Quite different characters.

They are really good mates apparently. Robby and Elano more so definitely but Kaka is well in with them too.

kaka_gallery__339x400,0.jpg

340x.jpg

610x.jpg

And the money shot -

610x.jpg

I could well get used to seeing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Xavi, I know yiz have the cash but I can't help feeling that you're getting a wee bit carried away and setting yourself up for disappointment. City are overdue some time at the top but I have that niggly feeling that no amount of money will ever stop Man City being Man City and making a balls of it all somehow.

Elano has been making noises about Hughes lately, its obvious Eastlands isn't big enough for them both. As mentioned, I can't see Elano giving a glowing report about Sparky, so massive pinch of salt tbh. The top players get asked about joining x y and z at every interview.

Baby steps eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

IF Xavi is going to start a thread about every player linked with City in the rags between now and Jan, the admins will have to buy more servers.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think this is more fantasy stuff xavi. seen hughes yesterday talking about being linked with every top player in europe. he said it was more the press than the club, i think hell bring in some defensive player in jan, toure and diarra hopefully. its not like we cant score goals anyway. id rather see some balance to the team, than a team of galacticos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't doubt that we'll see a lot of playes linked with City over the next few weeks, but I definitely think there'll be some startling transfers.

At the end of the day, most players want money more than anything, and City will be able to afford huge amounts of it. Would someone like Kaka approaching their peak really say no to a huge wage increase that would guarentee him wealth for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

dont confuse the sheikhs wealth with his family. the sheikh has more than 33 billion but his family is lited at 322 billion

I don't doubt that we'll see a lot of playes linked with City over the next few weeks, but I definitely think there'll be some startling transfers.

At the end of the day, most players want money more than anything, and City will be able to afford huge amounts of it. Would someone like Kaka approaching their peak really say no to a huge wage increase that would guarentee him wealth for life?

Like what he's on wouldn't guarantee him wealth for life?
    Some players actually like the clubs they play for and want to stay and win things with them.

City need to be looking at players on the rise in world football e.g. Aguero, Diarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This is a little ridiculous tbh. I'd agree that alot of footballers are more interested in money than anything else but the players that City are after are practically all on 80,000 plus and there's only so much you can do with the money. They're already wealthy for life and are probably more interested in trophies at this stage than more money at this stage. Obviously there are exceptions like Gigi which makes me sad

bigstar wrote: »
    i think this is more fantasy stuff xavi. seen hughes yesterday talking about being linked with every top player in europe. he said it was more the press than the club, i think hell bring in some defensive player in jan, toure and diarra hopefully. its not like we cant score goals anyway. id rather see some balance to the team, than a team of galacticos.

I agree with you that solid signings like Toure and Diarra are needed but if we were to get them along with a superstar name in January then I won't complain.

As I said in the OP the reason for this thread was to get reactions of more than just myself, yourself and one or two others. I seem to have done that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

if you are looking for kaka, he is in richard hughes back pocket!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement