Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaka expresses interest in City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If we could have a midfield of

SWP
    Ireland
    Kaka
    Robinho

then I'd soil myself.

I'd agree to all his demands. Two years with Kaka is better than no years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »

SWP
    Ireland
    Kaka
    Robinho

then I'd soil myself.

It looks good on paper admittedly but realistically in the Premiership I don't see a midfield like that working. I mean, doesn't Kaka jeopardise Ireland's chances?

I think this whole thing is insanity myself. Half a million quid a week for a footballer is madness, especially in the current economic climate. People are getting laid off from work on annual salaries that Kaka's weekly wage would take care of for well over a decade! Not his fault obviously but to me it highlights the growing divide between the grassroots and the top tier in the game.

I think £100m is too much for any player, including Ronaldo. Any time you buy a player you're essentially taking a gamble (just ask Spurs fans :pac:) and to me this is a gamble too far. Suppose he breaks his leg a week after his debut and is out for a year? I don't say this out of jealousy of City. I'd love to see Kaka in the Premiership, but to me this is way, way OTT.

If this deal goes through I'll be gobsmacked. It will change the face of the game forever and I would argue not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

SWP
    Ireland
    Kaka
    Robinho

then I'd soil myself.

If Kaka joins I can really see the flood gates opening. I think Kaka will really make a statement that City mean business and are serious about challenging in the near future for premiership and champions league honours. Every tom, dick and harry would be jumping at the chance to play alongside Kaka and Robinho I reckon. As I said Kaka equals floodgates equals City being major contenders next season.

If this deal goes through I'll be gobsmacked. It will change the face of the game forever and I would argue not in a good way.

Didnt alot of people on here say the same about Robinho joining ?

Indeed they did.

Re: that midfield - you stick someone like Essien/Gattuso/Cambaisso/A N Other holding midfielder behind them then it's sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If Citeh sign Kaka they will be able to attract the biggest defensive names as nesessary.
    Kaka + 2 more quality defenders = UEFA Cup Challenge imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just for the record, £500,000 a week equates to £71,428 a day, £2,976 an hour or just over £49 a minute.

redout wrote: »
    Didnt alot of people on here say the same about Robinho joining ?

I don't think so. The figure Robinho joined at was for a little over what Chelsea were bidding right? Berbatov went for a similar amount. This however is an astronomical number that no other club would seriously consider. I don't think even Real despite their bluster would have bid near these numbers for Ronaldo last summer. This changes everything.

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Citeh sign Kaka they will be able to attract the biggest defensive names as nesessary.
    Kaka + 2 more quality defenders = UEFA Cup Challenge imo

Kaka would be cup tied ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kaka would be cup tied ;)

Look at you and your sober knowledge!
    Ok well Kaka and two more quality defenders and I reckon you could make a challenge on the UEFA Cup spots for next year!

• Advertisement

Well Ronaldo and Kaka imo is not a good comparison. Whereas I would pay €110,000,000 for Kaka I wouldnt even contemplate it with Ronaldo. I also think Madrid would have payed whatever last year if United wanted to sell as they could dictate the price.

Was Zidane worth €76 Million at his age ? Do you know that Real Madrids return was one champions league and one league title. Thats what €76 Million got them over five seasons. Now in my books that is bad return and did not represent good value at all. Kaka has about 8 years left in him and has the possibility to achieve more.

I would agree the price on Zidane was OTT and I'd accept your point that for the return they got it was in hindsight a flawed deal. That's why I say that signing someone is always a gamble.

I mean redout you say that "Kaka has about 8 years left in him and has the possibility to achieve more". What if he suffers a career ending injury though? What if he does in his cruciate? What if City don't qualify for the Champions League (I understand he wants clauses such as this if a deal is to go through)

These 'what ifs' need to be weighed up and I think if you do this for ANY player you have to surmise that a 100m bid is a really bad idea. From the sounds of things he also explicitly wants a provision that Robinho can't be sold!

Is this what City fans really want? Overpaid mercenaries running the show behind the scenes? No way Hughes can deal with these personalities surely...

Is this what City fans really want?

Yes.

I know what you're saying but we have been starved of success for so long now. I don't think fans of the 'big clubs' can really comprehend what it's like for every season to be a failure, often topped off by relegation.

FFS, for United a poor season is not winning a trophy!

Of course there may be consequences down the line and it might go tits up eventually, but I would cry if I saw us winning a Premiership or Champions League. It would be the best thing ever in my life.

We've been down before after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It would be the best thing ever in my life.

Better hope the missus doesn't see that!

Pfft, she knows well that City are the highest on the food chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is gonna go bad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7830199.stm
    And Mark Hughes' right-hand-man [Mark] Bowen revealed: "I've read a lot about his love of AC Milan - and that goes without saying - but even when people said the deal was dead, that was not our understanding.

"We are still hopeful of still signing Kaka.

"The situation has been a surprise to everyone but obviously negotiations have been going on for a fair while.

"How close we are I don't know but our understanding is that it is very much a strong possibility that Kaka will be coming to Manchester City."

But some other sources are now saying we've withdrawn the bid.

Bloody confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Below is the apparent transcript that has been leaked of the telephone negotiations between Kaka and Manchester City. Unfortunately the transcript is only form the City end of the call.....

"Hello, is that Kaka? How do you fancy becoming the supply line to Craig

Bellamy and Darius Vassell this winter?

"No, your fellow countryman doesn't like the cold and will be out until mid

April - but you will play alongside Stephen Ireland"

"No, Kaka, Ireland is a person not a country"

"yes, I fully appreciate that he is not Ronaldinho, Pirlo or even Beckham

but many fans have him in their fantasy football"

"I know you are currently the richest man in Italy but we can double it!"

"erm, well, we have had a bit of a slide recently and we are currently 15th"

"erm, out of 20...... but Mark Hughes once won the double for our

neighbours"

"Hughes"

"Ex Blackburn boss"

"Blackburn, Blackburn Rovers"

"No, Blackburn......Black.....Burn"

"HUGHES man, HUGHES!!!"

"He once scored a good goal against Spain"

"No, that's Gerry Armstrong..... anyway, are you coming or not?"

"Usually about two thirds full but if we play a big team its really rocks"

"yes I know, but we don't even have a car park cos all the fans walk to the

ground they are so local"

"Relevance? well, I suppose its all they have to brag about whether its true

or not"

"Only the one to be fair but its called 'blue moon' you will love it"

"Blue"

"yes, definitely blue, always has been"

"No, no, no, they are in Trafford"

"yes they are, steeped in it in fact but what good is history to you my

ambitious friend?"

"erm, 1976 I think"

"it was the er, the er League cup if memory serves me right"

"Well, the plan was to get in the top 4 this season and then....."

"yes, I realise that but....."

"Aston Villa? What's it got to do with them?"

"Yes, I know but we have been down this history route already"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know about Nottingham

Forest?"

"Yes, yes, and Leeds United also made a final but you are missing my point,

this is all about the future"

"Give me strength......HUGHES!!!!"

"yes I know he did and he was a legend there but he is a changed man"

"forget them, they are falling apart"

"But all those trophies were won last year! They have won nothing in 2009"

"I have told you.... 1976!!!!"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know that Virginia Wade has

won Wimbledon since then?"

"Yes she probably is in her 60's"

"I don't know, probably about 10 league titles, 2 European cups and countless

domestic cups what has that got to do with it?"

"76,000 why?"

"yes, every game, even minor cups I suppose, but where is this getting us?"

"Yes, the league cup is considered a minor cup over here why?"

"I know, I know, I know, ok perhaps they won the FA Cup in 1970 or something

does it really matter?"

"look, Kaka, we will treble whatever you are on now, buy you a mansion in

Alderley Edge and give you a helicopter for your front lawn....are you

joining us?"

"NO!, its owned by the council - what has the ground got to do with

anything"

"well, officially its the City of Manchester Stadium but most people call it

Eastlands"

"EAST!, not Waste"

"You will be adored there"

"No, not there, here I meant"

"No, that's Old Trafford, I meant adored here at Waste....erm, Eastlands"

"Anderson??? what does he know?"

"Ok I hear what you say, but other than Pride, Ambition, Achievement,

History, Passion and a large car park - what can they offer you?"

"what do you mean no credit left in your phone.....I phoned you"

"Hello, Mr Kaka,...... Mr Kaka are you there?............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

500,000 a week. This is ridiculous, I really hope he doesnt sign. It would be great for city, yes, but it would probably ruin one of the most talented players of our generation career.

:D Absolutely brilliant!

EDIT: Press conference on SSN at 10am apparently.

• Advertisement

Mark Hughes says the bid is STILL ON.

Press conference on SSN now.

Mark Hughes says the bid is STILL ON.

Press conference on SSN now.

what is the press conference for? Just a standard one (do city do them on a thursday?) or was it called to say they have bid for Kaka and that it is still on?

what is the press conference for? Just a standard one (do city do them on a thursday?) or was it called to say they have bid for Kaka and that it is still on?

I'm not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7830199.stm
    Manchester City assistant manager Mark Bowen says Brazilian superstar Kaka is "very close" to a world record-breaking transfer from Italian giants AC Milan.
    and Mark Hughes' right-hand-man Bowen revealed: "I've read a lot about his love of AC Milan - and that goes without saying - but even when people said the deal was dead, that was not our understanding.

"We are still hopeful of still signing Kaka.

"The situation has been a surprise to everyone but obviously negotiations have been going on for a fair while.

"How close we are I don't know but our understanding is that it is very much a strong possibility that Kaka will be coming to Manchester City."

news conference on now ____________________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This is exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat happens if City get relegated? which is a real possibility this season & Kaka aint really a fix for.

Sherifu wrote: »
    This is exciting.

I was expecting somthing better

basically all we know is the bid is STILL ON.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    wat happens if City get relegated? which is a real possibility this season & Kaka aint really a fix for.

Get out clause I would presume.

Get out clause I would presume.

i wonder in the Shiekh would throw a big bonus at his stars to keep them for a year & come straight back up....Now THAT would be funny, Robinho & Kaka in the Championship :D

• Advertisement

i wonder in the Shiekh would throw a big bonus at his stars to keep them for a year & come straight back up....Now THAT would be funny, Robinho & Kaka in the Championship :D

citycopy.jpg

From RedCafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say it's the case that Milan and City will reach an agreement (of course they will for 100m ffs), and then it'll be up to Sparky to convince Kaka. Personally I don't see it, but it's possible he'll be insulted by Milan's accepting the offer, so may go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes.

I know what you're saying but we have been starved of success for so long now. I don't think fans of the 'big clubs' can really comprehend what it's like for every season to be a failure, often topped off by relegation.

FFS, for United a poor season is not winning a trophy!

Of course there may be consequences down the line and it might go tits up eventually, but I would cry if I saw us winning a Premiership or Champions League. It would be the best thing ever in my life.

We've been down before after all.
    This is the kind of thing I was talking about when I posted this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57277557#post57277557 (In context)
    Right,
    I've had this exact discussion with mates in the last couple of years.
    Please dont take this as an insult to anyone but it's my take on the whole thing.

We (Irish Fans of English Clubs) pretty much dont care about the long term stability of any club - we see the short term gain, better players possibilities for trophies etc. We generally dont go to every home match and/or away match. Its not such a big deal if owners put up ticket prices or any matchday prices as it is in general a few times a year we get to see matches.
    The real grassroots/local fans of clubs in general dont want to see the clubs which are so much a part of their lives to come into the hands of money hungry leeches, which in my opinion is what 90% of those who "invest" in the PL are.
    Now, things have changed a bit since Leeds almost went down the swanny but its still the same. Not so much of a big deal.
    Sadly thats the way that the PL has gone. Money talks and the club with the most money will generally do the best over time. Fans who sit down in the pub with their mates just wanna see them do well, whatever the circumstances. Those fans that go to the matches however are reliant on the club being handled properly.

Theres a few here saying managed debt is sound. Being in debt to the tune of 500 or so million is not a good thing for a football club or it's fans, despite the relative success of the club.

My opinions, and partly why I dont really give a toss for the PL so much any more.

Obviously, everything I've said has a whole host of generalisations thrown in but its my experience of the majority.
    Kippy

I do appreciate the emotion behind what you are posting but I certainly believe that this kind of behavious by football clubs is not, in the long run or even the short term, a good thing for their fans as the only thing it guarantees is that the owners will make that money back somewhere eventaully.
    Kippy

Meh

Del Piero, Buffon, Trezeguet and Nedved in Serie B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Thats most fake vid ive seen in long time. I saw it on bluemoon forums. Loads are going to think its real its quite funny

Done much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTY4Yo2SR2o

• Advertisement

Lads I just watched the Sparky news conference on Skysports.com . Was it just mean or does City only have the ONE journalist at the news conference! :D

EDIT: Seriously the thing was nearly 6 mins long and the same reporter kept asking all the questions. Thought it was a bit strange myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Indeed they did.

Re: that midfield - you stick someone like Essien/Gattuso/Cambaisso/A N Other holding midfielder behind them then it's sorted.

One of them are good enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would agree the price on Zidane was OTT and I'd accept your point that for the return they got it was in hindsight a flawed deal. That's why I say that signing someone is always a gamble.

I mean redout you say that "Kaka has about 8 years left in him and has the possibility to achieve more". What if he suffers a career ending injury though? What if he does in his cruciate? What if City don't qualify for the Champions League (I understand he wants clauses such as this if a deal is to go through)

These 'what ifs' need to be weighed up and I think if you do this for ANY player you have to surmise that a 100m bid is a really bad idea. From the sounds of things he also explicitly wants a provision that Robinho can't be sold!

Is this what City fans really want? Overpaid mercenaries running the show behind the scenes? No way Hughes can deal with these personalities surely...

I do agree that sinking a very significant percentage of a clubs turnover into one player who is unlikely to be there for more than 3 - 5 years is not a safe business decision. But, people have to get beyond thinking in terms of zomg £100m!! The value of money is always relative. If the owners of Man City are as rich as reported in some circles then them shelling out £100m is probably the equivalent of Chelsea signing Deco (or one of the smaller transfers they have made over the past few years).

And again, it isn't just the signing of Kaka in of itself that you have to consider. It's the snowball affect that such a deal would create - the "line in the sand" factor. Now you have Kaka and Robinho - which makes it easier to bring in the next bunch of quality players. And on top of that, you automatically earn back a percentage of the transfer fee with the increased sponsorship and marketing scope that his presence will create for the club.

Finally, I would be incredibly surprised if City wouldn't take out insurance to offset the consequences of a career ending injury. As far as I know, such policies are becoming increasingly common in professional sports on both sides of the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I do agree that sinking a very significant percentage of a clubs turnover into one player who is unlikely to be there for more than 3 - 5 years is not a safe business decision. But, people have to get beyond thinking in terms of zomg £100m!! The value of money is always relative. If the owners of Man City are as rich as reported in some circles then them shelling out £100m is probably the equivalent of Chelsea signing Deco (or one of the smaller transfers they have made over the past few years).

And again, it isn't just the signing of Kaka in of itself that you have to consider. It's the snowball affect that such a deal would create - the "line in the sand" factor. Now you have Kaka and Robinho - which makes it easier to bring in the next bunch of quality players. And on top of that, you automatically earn back a percentage of the transfer fee with the increased sponsorship and marketing scope that his presence will create for the club.

Finally, I would be incredibly surprised if City wouldn't take out insurance to offset the consequences of a career ending injury. As far as I know, such policies are becoming increasingly common in professional sports on both sides of the pond.
    Why are you talking at length about this? It isn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Pighead wrote: »
    Why are you talking at length about this? It
    isn't going to happen.

I actually live in Abu Dhabi and do a lot of work for the Sheikh's and believe me they are very determined guys...I would be surprised if it doesn't happen...if Milan want to cash in,then Kaka will leave.

And spending £100m on Kaka is a drop in the ocean to these lads.

100m is a drop in the ocean to no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think Milan are willing to take the 100 million. The issue will be convincing Kaka of leaving which will be a hard thing to do.

id say Milan have excepted the bid just up to Kaka if he wants to move
    and i very much dought he'll move unless he wants to play in the championship

(dammit alan bet me to it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SWAR wrote: »
    I actually live in Abu Dhabi and do a lot of work for the Sheikh's and believe me they are very determined guys...I would be surprised if it doesn't happen...if Milan want to cash in,then Kaka will leave.

And spending £100m on Kaka is a drop in the ocean to these lads.
    Listen pal, Pighead lives in Ireland and he does a lot of writing on a national message board with the Boards Soccer Poster of the Year Lucky Lloyd and he's even more determined than your sheikh mates.

He has guaranteed us over here that the deal is not going through. That's good enough for Pighead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58591822&postcount=59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Pighead wrote: »
    Listen pal, Pighead lives in Ireland and he does a lot of writing on a national message board with the Boards Soccer Poster of the Year Lucky Lloyd and he's even more determined than your sheikh mates.

He has guaranteed us over here that the deal is not going through. That's good enough for Pighead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58591822&postcount=59

off topic but why do you refer to yourself in 3rd person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

100m is a drop in the ocean to no one.

When you're worth £560bn, £100m is not a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

joe123 wrote: »

You've not seen pigheads posts before?
    I think that question has been asked numerous times. I can never recall an answer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

joe123 wrote: »

It's called a gimmick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

kippy wrote: »
    You've not seen pigheads posts before?
    I think that question has been asked numerous times. I can never recall an answer though.

I could give an answer but I would be banned for it. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement