Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaka expresses interest in City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Exciting times for the Premiership it must be said...
    With the amount of money being pumped in, one has to think that the long term future of la liga, Bundeslige and serie A are in danger of serious decline.

But sure the money is being paid to clubs in all those leagues.

If the Kaka deal goes through AC Milan will have an extra hundred odd million to throw around, it's not like the premiership will just suck in all the good players for free - the money will spread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

keane2097 wrote: »
    But sure the money is being paid to clubs in all those leagues.

If the Kaka deal goes through AC Milan will have an extra hundred odd million to throw around, it's not like the premiership will just suck in all the good players for free - the money will spread...

Ye i heard they were after Messi for 75 million and some Italian player.

Slightly off topic but is the inflated price of Kaka anything to do with the fact that the euro and sterling have such parity now. I mean upto a few months back sterling was worth more to European clubs, now its not, thus making City pay more than they would have if rates stayed the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he will get beyond 3 touches in the PL when teams make mistakes. 107m is a joke price. gl citeh. when it all goes tits up u still have good films like shallow grave and 24 hour party ppl. tony wilson for pres.

citeh are going to retard football. far more so then real madrid... and thats saying something. sure xavi - it might be fun time in madchester, but ultimately, citeh are going to make football more a joke then it already is. i laughed hard back in 96 with the fast show... now i just feel like im being taken the piss outta.

joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke joke

god i love rum. makes me feel, like #1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love when Jazzy goes on a drunken rant:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Shouldn't this thread title be the other way round. City express interest in Kaka??

Read the first post in the thread from before xmas.....
    Kippy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

It's funny listening to all those saying "Yeah but you'll still be shit" and "Lol at Kaka and Robinho in the Championship". And why is it funny? Because it shows that a decade after we were in the third tier of English football we are now a team that people genuinely don't like as opposed to one that they just feel sorry for.

Every one of those comments I read makes me smile.
    Have your read my earlier post on the subject? (It wasnt an attack on Man City, just an outlook on how "fans" have different perspectives on the actual health of the club in general)

If people are blind enough to suggest that the Sheikh is going to happily invest 100mill + on players on a continuing basis and not expect any profit back then good luck to you.
    At the end of the day, success or no success on the pitch, the fans who
    attend matches week in week out will be fleeced with ticket price increases.
    These guys are an investment arm, their aim is to make money, the only way they will do that is by fleecing the fans, its been happening at clubs in the PL for ages.

I really dont give a fiddlers about Man City or the majority of clubs in the PL, I would love to see another one go down the pan in Leeds style just to highlight to fans how the game has gone.
    Imaging a couple of hundred thousand irish fans supporting Liverpool, Man United or Man City for a sustained attack at winning league 1.

Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Owners like this are making a mockery of the game. I've a lot more respect for teams who can build a team over time rather then just buy a rake of players when they come into money. A sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

its a bad move by man city in trying to buy players akin to Kaka. sure he is a top player but they would be better off establishing a team and building themselves up before chasing superstars. they really are putting the cart before the horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

slingerz wrote: »
    its a bad move by man city in trying to buy players akin to Kaka. sure he is a top player but they would be better off establishing a team and building themselves up before chasing superstars. they really are putting the cart before the horse

whooah,
    do you really not think that all the hard working type players will flock to city if this goes through?
    (de jong, albiol etc)

Its a brilliant way of doing it if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont get what all the financial fuss is all about, kaka will attract the whole world to city even if robinhos tranfer didnt allready. The transfer fee will be recouped. When beckham left madrid it wiped 50 mil off theyre balance sheet overnight. Kaka will bring an entourage of football royalty should it happen and city will in turn find it easier to get those players to sign.

In football terms its only a shockwave because its for one player, united and chelsea have paid 100mil for 3 players each and nothing close to the talent kaka posseses imo. The sentimentalists will hate it, however as a business decision it is quite normal. Shirt sales, potential sponsors and no doubt the value of the club will move north on those graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

whooah,
    do you really not think that all the hard working type players will flock to city if this goes through?
    (de jong, albiol etc)

Its a brilliant way of doing it if you ask me.

its obvious the owners want the big names and star signings, not exactly team players. also englands biggest drawback from spain and italy is the weather. who fancies games in the freezing cold on muddy pitches being kicked around the place? certainly not pampered stars used to the warmth and comfort of milan/madrid etc

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont get what all the financial fuss is all about, kaka will attract the whole world to city even if robinhos tranfer didnt allready. The transfer fee will be recouped. When beckham left madrid it wiped 50 mil off theyre balance sheet overnight. Kaka will bring an entourage of football royalty should it happen and city will in turn find it easier to get those players to sign.

In football terms its only a shockwave because its for one player, united and chelsea have paid 100mil for 3 players each and nothing close to the talent kaka posseses imo. The sentimentalists will hate it, however as a business decision it is quite normal. Shirt sales, potential sponsors and no doubt the value of the club will move north on those graphs.

Thats the key though, Business decision. Whether it brings success or not, the hard working everyday fans will be the ones to pay for it one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It's not so much the transfer fee that is shocking for me, it is the wages.. After the initial delight in in the City dressing room wears off, I imagine that quite a few who consider themselves superstars are going to be wanting massive wage increases also.

From a Liverpool fans perspective, I am obviously quite envious of the fact that they are going t be able to spend massive money on transfers. I am obviously concerned that City will inevitably be successful in their aims to win the league and essentially emulate what Chelsea done is quite a short period.

Saying that, I think they are quite a bit off of where Chelsea were when Roman took over and it is going to take vast sums of money to get that City squad up to the required standard. Chelsea had the backbone and discipline to hang the incoming superstars off of. Then they are going to need a manager that is capable to knitting everything together so that the whole thing doesn't implode from within.

I think they are a two years or so away from winning the league but when they do eventually do it, it could be dark times for quite a few clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

slingerz wrote: »
    its obvious the owners want the big names and star signings, not exactly team players. also englands biggest drawback from spain and italy is the weather. who fancies games in the freezing cold on muddy pitches being kicked around the place? certainly not pampered stars used to the warmth and comfort of milan/madrid etc
    The average temperatures in Milan are -4/+6°C in January.
    I think I could handle that in any country for a few years with a pay packet of €100+K a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's not so much the transfer fee that is shocking for me, it is the wages.
    He could earn up to £6-8m per season. There's already players earning that I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

kippy wrote: »
    Thats the key though, Business decision. Whether it brings success or not, the hard working everyday fans will be the ones to pay for it one way or another.

Sure, but i believe they want to take city as a business venture globally and if kaka is in the team then he will act as a beacon and city will attract money from asia etc. The money coming in will catapult but more so from untouched markets and i dont think it will impact hugely on day to day fans who go to the games........there will likely be increased prices but this is no different to united or chelsea........city want to create a brand, expand and grow with it and most importantly have the money to do it with haste.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He could earn up to £6-8m per season. There's already players earning that I'm sure.

Is his wage not going to be 500k gross or 250k net?

That works out at alot more than 6 to 8 million. Players earning that money also don't just make it directly from football. He could be making 3 or 4 times that before you factor in anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

While I understand this is just an alternative route to a big squad i.e buy a huge star and lure the rest with him in the squad. The only problem I see City having is players that sign in the future may expect a contract in the region of what Kaka gets. Hell even if they want 70% of what he's getting the wage bill could be crazy.

• Advertisement

Is his wage not going to be 500k gross or 250k net?

That works out at alot more than 6 to 8 million. Players earning that money also don't just make it directly from football. He could be making 3 or 4 times that before you factor in anything else.
    It's actually 8-10m (but that's the max he could earn, not a basic figure):

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103663

"2. Kaka has NOT been offered 500k a week but has been offered a very considerable package that COULD earn him between 8-10M a year."

"2. Kaka has NOT been offered 500k a week but has been offered a very considerable package that COULD earn him between 8-10M a year."

That is considerably less insane alright but that is assuming that that is fact..

Also, is it possible that the 8 to 10 million a year is a net figure?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

why the hell is 500k a week quoted everwhere else, which is 25m a year?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Do players get a certain percentage of their transfer fee??

That is considerably less insane alright but that is assuming that that is fact..

Also, is it possible that the 8 to 10 million a year is a net figure?
    It might be but I think any wage figure we see in the media is gross. While it's no £500k a week gross, £10m a year gross would still easily make him the highest paid footballer in the world. Still wouldn't get him into the top 5 NFL or top 10 NBA though. :) In fact, the highest paid NFL player earns £20m a year.

Do players get a certain percentage of their transfer fee??

well from the stories ive heard this deal might be structured different to normal, talk of Kaka's dad recieving a substantial fee for example and agents fee's of up to 20m involved supposidly.

It might be but I think any wage figure we see in the media is gross. While it's no £500k a week gross, £10m a year gross would still easily make him the highest paid footballer in the world. Still wouldn't get him into the top 5 NFL or top 10 NBA though. :) In fact, the highest paid NFL player earns £20m a year.

I was thinking this deal might not be so insane when considerd in terms of other sports like the American ones NFL, NBA, or even Baseball. But obiously in terms of Soccer its groundbreaking if it goes through.

well from the stories ive heard this deal might be structured different to normal, talk of Kaka's dad recieving a substantial fee for example and agents fee's of up to 20m involved supposidly.
    From the link to Man City forum:

"1. The offer is nothing like we are being told by the gutter press! The offer is in the region of 100M and no one is getting paid 20M plus in fees."

I'm sure they're getting hefty sums though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This is FACT.

He is being offered 14 million a year.

Berlu has said that city are offering double his corrent contract, Kaka is currently the highest paid player in the world already.

Kaka was crying at Milanello last night when leaving the locker room at the end of the training session.

Milan (both Berlu and Carletto) have said that it's totally Kaka's decission.

I reckon that he's severly tempted buy at the same time I think th fans protest tonight will swing it and he'll stay because he'll see how much he means to the rossonero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would have thought that would be the Sheikh tbh

• Advertisement

You gave up the Martini then...? ;)

whos this!! i demand answers!

Seaneh wrote: »
    He is being offered 14 million a year.

Berlu has said that city are offering double his corrent contract, Kaka is currently the highest paid player in the world already.
    This says Kaka was on €6m a year:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055340540

If Man City have offered him up to £10m a year well then no surprise Milan would say they've offered him double. Another comment from that Man City thread:

3. The Milan PR machine is in overdrive, Kaka says NO - His Father says YES! Simply put Milan need to do everything to save face and allow Kaka to leave a hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kaka's dad was apparently at the game today beside Gary Cook

feck sake, there was a whole gaggle of cork people there.
    rob, potts, matt, tom, kennedy (from kerry but still), paul...
    feck this, im going out to drink

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would have thought that would be the Sheikh tbh

Eh.....the sheikh will make his money back.
    Watch him as ticket prices increase in the next few years, success or no success.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Watch him as ticket prices increase in the next few years, success or no success.
    Kippy

city stadium holds around 47,000 so ill take a while to make their money back which i dought they care anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kaka's dad was apparently at the game today beside Gary Cook

No he wasn't, he's in Brazil, he's flying to Milan tonight.

Also, Kaka won't move, just watching the Milan - foirentina match and when he left the pitch he looked totally normal, if he was leaving he would have done something like go wave to the curva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Also, Kaka won't move, just watching the Milan - foirentina match and when he left the pitch he looked totally normal, if he was leaving he would have done something like go wave to the curva.
    Did he play well tonight Seaneh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Kippy

No he wont, just like RA will never get his investment back from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

An Citeog wrote: »

exactly

city is like a toy to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thought that too. Maybe Man City should be investing in Pato though ....

So what was he crying for last night? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So what was he crying for last night? :)

Who knows? Just because it was in a newspaper (Corriere Dello Sport) doesn't make it true :)

• Advertisement

they have been showing it on MOTD and SSN saying that all the milan players embraced him after the game and mentioning how he took the match ball and didnt swap his shirt. Is that not unusual? plus he is hardly going to wave goodbye to the Rosonarri who are desperately pleading with him not to go when Mark Hughes says they are a good bit off even talking personal terms with the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Certainly looked weird at the end of the Milan game, as if it was his last , all the players hugging him.

He is going.

An Citeog wrote: »
    What do you think RA is doing right now and will continue to do?
    These guys ultimate aims are to make money. I would actually be more worried if I thought them to be using the clubs as "Playthings"
    What happens when they are sick and tired of them? Call in their "interest free" loans? Let the club go to the wall? Seriously some "fans" just dont see the bigger picture......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Kaka is an enabler to City's further ambitions and hence why City pay such a high price for him. Yes they are a rich club, but what use is money if you don't spend it? Seems to be a (largely United) contingent here that feel that only "big" clubs can spend big without reproach, that somehow winning a title and being succesful in the past gives you a god given right to buy big cos "we did it the hard way". Such romance! Now that your hedgemony, earned as much through financial prudence and business acumen as through the success you undoubtedly had, is threatened, you resort to lookign down your noses at the "nouveaus rich" upstarts trying to move on the territory that previously you saw little competition in. And low and behold all the half-rationalities about morals and the "right way" to do things are plopped out of you to lie steaming for all to see. There are some pretty insightful comments throughout this whole thread - but predominantly it just seems to be reactionary parping that is identical to all the crap we've heard about every single "big money" transfer since the days of Trevor Francis.

How do you attract players to a club if your first team consists of didi hamman, darrius vassell, micheal ball? You don't. With Kaka and robinho there you're going to ensure you get alot more players far more likely to make the move - this to me represents sound business theory - it would obviously take an mathematician to calculate the actual value that get's placed on this part of the transfer fee... but reasonably would you say pay, 20 million to ensure that you can attract good players over the next 2 years dealings? Especially as you're likely to be buying close to 10 high quality players? I think you would.

Factor into this then the premium you need to pay for a club to sell their star player, the "wow" factor you need to include to show the player how serious your intent is due to your Clubs current lowly status, and more and more of the reported £108m fee is shaved off - realistically, if say, it was United or chelsea or Real looking to buy Kaka - i think probably you be seeing a fee of more like £75m or so - which doesnt seem so unrealistic when Ronaldo was being touted as a £70m sale last summer... I don't recall everyone wringing their hands and tut-tutting and mounting thier herds of moral horses over that one quite so much, but I mostly I instantly forget most of the witless prattling, so I could be wrong.

As for Kaka and those that surround him being "only it for the money" well, again, City need to pay a premium to show prospective players that they are so serious about becoming a force that they will pay well above the odds to do it. They also need to compensate the high end players they are looking to attract with something to ensure they will forego CL football for the 1-2 years the managment feel it will take to bring their plans towards fruition. Money of course has an influence on everyone, to a lesser or greater extent -but when it's a smaller club with big ambitions with City, of course they must pay the player more to "step down" a level. This "overpayment" is like with the transfer fee - inclusive of an assurance to the player of the club's intent and ambition than to reflect him being worth twice as much as someone on half his wages.

A huge part of things that no-one seems to have mentioned, is the "selling the idea" that Cary Cook and the Abu-dabi owners are doing. This is key to everything. People all over the world take on seemingly improbable challenges: to break into a business dominated by larger rivals, to overcome the odds, to upset the established order of things. A enthusiastic and well prepared "sales" pitch by a commited enough group, who exhibit the financial clout and detailed plan to execute their ideas, could very much swing an opinion from "no way" to "wait, this could be interesting". A tenacious and commited persuit of ANYONE in life can change an initially reluctant target into a paramour. Being part of something that you help build from the ground up is infinitely more satisfying than beccmoing part of a pre-existing success.

I don't think City are doing anything wrong at all. The conjectured wages are simply conjecture right now - only time will tell if the City business model can sustain the expenditure. Everything else is empty bleating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

As a United fan, I don't at all begrudge Man City spending the money or attempting to acquire Kaka. If anything, I am a little jealous that they have the means to do so and fair play to them. I hope the Man City fans enjoy the next period because it's going to be a lot of fun. And personally, it's going to be great craic for the league in general.

That being said, from the outside looking in I would question the way City are going about building their team for a couple of reasons:

1) We are in the middle of the January transfer season, City's form has been erratic and the defense is leaking goals and the midfield lacks any real bite. City could easily get sucked into a relegation battle. City's attack however, as it stands, is actually v good. Put a decent defense in there and City would easily set themselves in for a good run up till the end of the season and for a summer transfer period where they could add to the squad. Buying Kaka now will not guarantee they avoid getting away from the bottom of the table.

2) The argument that buying Kaka will attract more top players is being a bit overplayed for me. Kaka clearly would of preferred to have stayed at Milan. There is no way in hell that Kaka ever pictured himself living it up in the Eastlands as opposed to Milan. What's changed his mind and Milans??? The bloody money. If Kaka, one of the top 5 players in the world, with one of the biggest reputations, will go to city you can be dammed sure that almost every other player out there will go to City too if they wave the cash. So saying that by purchasing Kaka first is a really clever move because other players will now flock to City doesn't really hold up for me as a good reason to purchase Kaka first. The other players that City need to sign will come anyway for the money, whether or not Kaka arrives. So I think people need to drop that as an arguement. It doesn't hold up. Yes it is a signal of intent and will help but it's not a good enough reason to sign Kaka now ahead of the players you really need. But fair play, he's going to be awesome. I'd just argue you need to get a whole new defense in there before the end of January or you could have some hairy moments later in the season.

3) Chelsea had a very good backbone before RA and basically just added the classy players who could take them to the next level. But they had the steel in the team around which the other players were added. City buying the flair players first comes across as if there is no clear transfer policy - no clear plan/intention to fix the existing weaknesses.

4) Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Liverpool all have a very deliberate style of play and a very obvious team ethic (Chelsea, perhaps, on the latter have seen that slip this season under Scolari you could argue). I worry for Hughes as he is not dictating the transfer policy on some of these signings. You wouldn't see United or Arsenal ever sign a player without the manager actually dictating it around his long term plans for the team. Mourinho left over problems in this regard and Benitez has duelled with Hicks & Gillet over how the club is managed also. The top clubs in English football all seem to rely on a strong manager who has his fingers on all the tenants of the football club. The signing of Kaka and how it is being handled is a clear indication that Hughes days are numbered. A pity as he is a talented manager and is just in the door.

All I am really saying is signing Kaka without signing the defense that the team needs first looks a little odd and if Hughes was really dictating transfer policy, he would have his brand new defense by now. The board spending all their time in Milan is potentially distracting them from the urgent signings they need to make (although I acknowledge they are working on a number of options).

Also, all the talk of the business case around the signing of Kaka is a bit meaningless at this stage. We don't know what the long term business plans are for the club. It's clear with the current size of the stadium and club revenue that city could never afford the players that are coming. If the club is ever to make a profit, a massive restructuring of the business is required. Let's wait and see what happens there.

Anyway, I hope ye get em. It's going to spice up the league. The Manchester derbies are gonna be incredible over the next few seasons!

Come On United! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement