Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaka expresses interest in City

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Kaka signs others will follow. That is clear. You now look at City and they have Robinho and Kaka. They have Stephen Ireland and thats without naming a host of big names at the club.

But right there they have three magnificent young players. Its clear that the money is there, its not some pie in the sky thing anymore.

Players now know that they mean business and that they are going to be a force next season. So you join up now, get a huge wage increase and you miss out on one season of Champions League football.

I don't see too many players passing up that opportunity. Look at Roque Santa Cruz literally crying because the move has not went through from Blackburn yet. But who's the next big signing, I wonder will they go for Messi?

Oh and edit to add, from what was said today on tv, its a deal that includes Gattuso and somebody else as well. That was on Setanta earlier whether thats true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eagle eye wrote: »
    But who's the next big signing, I wonder will they go for Messi?

I really hope not.
    And if they do I hope even more he stays with Barca.
    That team is a joy to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If Kaka signs others will follow. That is clear. You now look at City and they have Robinho and Kaka. They have Stephen Ireland and thats without naming a host of big names at the club.

But right there they have three magnificent young players. Its clear that the money is there, its not some pie in the sky thing anymore.

Players now know that they mean business and that they are going to be a force next season. So you join up now, get a huge wage increase and you miss out on one season of Champions League football.

I don't see too many players passing up that opportunity. Look at Roque Santa Cruz literally crying because the move has not went through from Blackburn yet. But who's the next big signing, I wonder will they go for Messi?

I said it before, they'll invest a half a billion into cloning Maradonna, Pele and Zidane. Rumour has it they had a few people taking DNA samples from Vidic, Torres, Ronaldo, Fabregas and Essien as well.......

Seriously, this kinda nonsense (not just with city but across the PL as a whole) will bring one or two more clubs into Leeds territory.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really hope not.
    And if they do I hope even more he stays with Barca.
    That team is a joy to watch
    Well they could just buy all the players and coaches as well.:)

If you read the La Liga thread earlier you will see that I strongly agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Well they could just buy all the players and coaches as well.:)

If you read the La Liga thread earlier you will see that I strongly agree with you.

I wouldn't put it past them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

City of course need to bolster the defense and get a midfiielder with bite - wether this happens before or after Kaka (and the Kaka deal is not a definite by any means) is not hugely relevant - the need for it is certainly pressing within the window though and I would assume, with the bids for De Jong and Parker and the rumours about Abiol that this is already in hand. Given the choice between Kaka or these guys but not both , I would agree that the defensive guys are more important but there is enough resources at City to not need to focus soley on one deal at a time - I don't believe they are spending "all their time in Milan".

I think it's a bit of a leap in logic to assume that because Kaka is on the menu that buying flair players is the sole or priority focus of City's transfer policy - or that there is no clear transfer policy in place. Flair players always demand the most media attention and highest prices. It's just that it creates more news - the whole "richest club in the world" spotlight is a convienient tag for journalists to exploit and exaggerate everything that is going on at City. It's documented (well, at least strongly rumoured) that there are two transfer lists - a Hughes approved "galactico's" list and a separate list through the more traditional manager driven/scouting team assessed one. Keep in mind City have made 2 bids at least for Parker/Bellamy and 3 for Santa Cruz. The prudence in not just throwing money at these deals shows that the "galactico" deals don't represent the approach to what values are placed on all the players City try to buy.

I don't buy that Hughes has no influence over wether these galactico deals happen or not - and I think largely the difficulties with other clubs/managers dealing with something like this is due to there being finite transfer funds available at these other clubs. This doesnt seem to be the case at City. If Wenger or Ferguson was asked "we have infinite funds, draw up a list of who you would take" I don't think either would say no - or that either would feel undermined by allowing the business side of the club go after these players. But of course everyones opinion on this is conjecture - none of us "know" how involved Hughes is in this, so all opinions are equal. We certainly cannot conclude that he is on his way out from it.

Finally - the "2 points off relegation" nugget that has been floating around the bowl is certainly true but can be misleading. There are 6 points between 8th and the relegation zone in the Premier league right now. While 6th is the garaunteed European spot, City could be in 8th place by winning their game in hand, and given that their next opponents are Newcastle, Stoke and Boro, could be in a much stronger position by February. I don't argue that City need to buck up to not get drawn into the relegation fight, but the league outside of the top 6 is very tight.

Glad to see that some United fans at least see the positives in a Manchester with potentially two strong teams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

D.S. wrote: »
    3) Chelsea had a very good backbone before RA and basically just added the classy players who could take them to the next level. But they had the steel in the team around which the other players were added. City buying the flair players first comes across as if there is no clear transfer policy - no clear plan/intention to fix the existing weaknesses.

Just a quick point on us supposedly only buying flair players, look at our August signings and assess them fairly.

We signed - Wright-Phillips, Ben Haim, Zabaleta, Kompany as well as Robinho.

In January we have so far signed Wayne Bridge.

Now to my mind there is only one flair player in there - Robinho. The others are all players who are slowly but surely addressing the problems the squad had last year under Sven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just a quick point on us supposedly only buying flair players, look at our August signings and assess them fairly.

We signed - Wright-Phillips, Ben Haim, Zabaleta, Kompany as well as Robinho.

In January we have so far signed Wayne Bridge.

Now to my mind there is only one flair player in there - Robinho. The others are all players who are slowly but surely addressing the problems the squad had last year under Sven.

Fair enough but how many of those were signed before the takeover?

Only Robinho and Bridge have been signed since the takeover IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Technically that's true but Kompany, Zabaleta and SWP were all bought on the promise that ADUG were coming in. The club knew it was happening two weeks before it went public so that's why we snapped them up when we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rumours in the Sunday papers that with the upcoming presidential elections at Madrid, there will be at least one candidate running on the Kaka ticket. They reckon the offer of immediate Champions League football would negate the lower wages on offer. It'd also let Kaka see out the rest of the season at Milan.

Anyway, for me, if Man City sign Kaka, they're still a long way off being a top team. They're starting from a much worse position than Abromovich did at Chelsea, and it is going to take significant time and money to turn things around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Rumours in the Sunday papers that with the upcoming presidential elections at Madrid, there will be at least one candidate running on the Kaka ticket. They reckon the offer of immediate Champions League football would negate the lower wages on offer. It'd also let Kaka see out the rest of the season at Milan.

But would Madrid be able to come anywhere close to matching City's offer? During the Ronaldo saga figures between 50-70 million were being thrown around, but that's still a huge way off what City are offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

breaking news

Kaka is staying in milan

Silvio Berlusconi has gone on national tv and has said it

source ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Reported on the BBC website too.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ah well, at least they got Craig Bellamy.

deise59 wrote: »
    Reported on the BBC website too.

Shame.

its a good and bad thing tbh

im delighted anyway

love to see him in the PL but the money was crazy

Now city are saying they pulled out

xavi will be gutted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

BBC Link

Not much there at the moment, though.

Manchester City has terminated its discussions with AC Milan over the possible transfer of the player Kaka.

Following a meeting in Milan today, the Club felt that it was unlikely that the two parties could reach common ground for an agreement.

The discussions reached only a preliminary stage and the player was not involved at any time. No commercial terms were framed.

Commenting on the situation, Garry Cook stated: "Whilst Manchester City Football Club has an obvious interest in world class players of the quality of Kaka, we owe it to our fans that such a transfer must work on every level; commercially, financially, in terms of results on the field and within Manchester City's broader community."

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6625476

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm actually surprised this deal has not gone through. Fair play to Kaka; and fair play to City for trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Great news, and fair play to Kaka if he did turn down all that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

damn would of loved to of seen kaka in the premiership (apart from utd/chelsea mainly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Tom65 wrote: »
    Ah well, at least they got Craig Bellamy.

Bit of a come down! So who reckons bellamy at 15 million will be citys biggest january window transfer??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Score one for the good guys says I

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement