Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yoann Gourcuff - the new Zidane?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Have to say I love watching this guy play.

Highly rated as a youngster and sealed a move to Milan. Now back in France on loan at Bordeaux and playing some super football.

Seems as though he was good against Chelsea last night and displays some of the skills that the great man had at his peak including -

The pirouette -

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1801985/

Great turns -

Juggling skills -

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1801716/

The ability to score from distance -

At only 22 he's at about the same age Zidane was when he burst onto the international against the Czech Republic. It's a pretty big comparison to make but he;s the closest I've seen to God so far.

Might even be the man to replace Kaka when he moves to City! :pac:
    Thats a big call to make, he does look good, that goal for france is a stunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, we had a thread about him 2 years ago and some of us reckoned he was gonna be a Milan legend. How times have changed!

Was he squeezed out by the superstars - Ronaldinho, KAka, Shev, etc..?

Or did he just get crap there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

SofaK wrote: »
    Well, we had a thread about him 2 years ago and some of us reckoned he was gonna be a Milan legend. How times have changed!

Was he squeezed out by the superstars - Ronaldinho, KAka, Shev, etc..?

Or did he just get crap there?

The general consensus is the latter. He was never brought in to start. He was brought in to learn from the likes of Kaka, Seedorf and Pirlo, impress as a sub, improve as a player and be the kog in the cup games. He did none of these. Think Xavi is making a knee-jerk reaction based on one good game. Not like he impressed when we won 4-0. He has potential but he had more potential two years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Freddy Adu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The general consensus is the latter. He was never brought in to start. He was brought in to learn from the likes of Kaka, Seedorf and Pirlo, impress as a sub, improve as a player and be the kog in the cup games. He did none of these. Think Xavi is making a knee-jerk reaction based on one good game. Not like he impressed when we won 4-0. He has potential but he had more potential two years ago

Wow now hold on. For starters I didn't even see the game last night. Only saw clips online and read reports and I know better to form an opinion based on that.

I have however watched him play for Boardeaux and France this season and he has impressed every time. He may be a late bloomer but so was Zizou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Definitely a very good player but the new Zidane? No way.

Seems like every week people are heralding kids in Brazil and Argentina as the new Pele and Maradona respectively. Wasn't Samir Nasri being called 'the new Zidane' last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I have however watched him play for Boardeaux

I wish.

His nickname isn't 'Le Petit Zidane' for nothing to be fair.
    Des wrote: »
    I wish.

Bah, damn Freudian.

Wow now hold on. For starters I didn't even see the game last night. Only saw clips online and read reports and I know better to form an opinion based on that.

I have however watched him play for Boardeaux and France this season and he has impressed every time. He may be a late bloomer but so was Zizou.

Fair enough. It's just that he got a reputation in Milan for being very very inconsistent after his first season. Capable of doing great things on a pithc but normally doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Wasn't Samir Nasri being called 'the new Zidane' last year?

It seems any young French midfielder who breaks through gets that tag. I remember Bruno Cheryu being called the next Zidane ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His nickname isn't 'Le Petit Zidane' for nothing to be fair.

Bruno Cheyrou tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gourcuff is very highly rated at Milan it was just thought that at 22 he would be better off playing regular football out on loan than sitting behind Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf on the bench this season, makes perfect sense.

He'll be a Milan legend in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Doubt there will ever be another Zidane tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unearthly wrote: »
    Doubt there will ever be another Zidane tbh
    Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ySgM1kjIk4

:D

More magic from Yoann at the weekend -

:eek: Sensational skill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Exceptional skill, in the modern game is he getting a bit on in years to be playing in France (albeit on loan) if he really has the potential to reach the Zidane level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Draupnir wrote: »
    Exceptional skill, in the modern game is he getting a bit on in years to be playing in France (albeit on loan) if he really has the potential to reach the Zidane level?

Zidane played in france till he was 23/24 and only moved to Italy after Euro 96. Never heard of him then myself and was bemused watching this balding player in the team instead of Cantona. When I saw CHeryu vs Man United in the Champions Leage I thought he remined me of Zidane and was gonna be top class..that was unitil he joined Liverpool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Zidane played in france till he was 23/24 and only moved to Italy after Euro 96. Never heard of him then myself and was bemused watching this balding player in the team instead of Cantona. When I saw CHeryu vs Man United in the Champions Leage I thought he remined me of Zidane and was gonna be top class..that was unitil he joined Liverpool!!

Completely agree, it just seems that in modern football the breakthrough age is a lot lower than it was in Zidanes time. With modern academies and freedom of movement, top players seem to appear at 18 and sometimes are finished by the time they are 28/30.

I could see Arsenal buying him. Maybe cash (5mil-ish) + Senderos.

They should even grab Flamini as well. Flamini & Gourcuff for 10-15mil + Senderos.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Top quality it must be said. But he needs to do it in the top leagues and the CL consistantly like Zidane did to earn the "new Zidane" tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Vokes wrote: »
    I could see Arsenal buying him. Maybe cash (5mil-ish) + Senderos.

They should even grab Flamini as well. Flamini & Gourcuff for 10-15mil + Senderos.

Lol at this hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Just saw that 2nd goal again on Setanta, absolutely ridiculous skill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

In an issue of FourFourTwo they called benzema the next zidane! Don't think we'll see a player like him for a while, I'm a bit bitter Italy won the wc as it would've been the perfect send off for... the best player ever?

materazzi you ****!

With a name like that he should be known as the new "Yourri Djorkaeff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Samurai wrote: »
    In an issue of FourFourTwo they called benzema the next zidane! Don't think we'll see a player like him for a while, I'm a bit bitter Italy won the wc as it would've been the perfect send off for... the best player ever?

materazzi you ****!

Double standards much?

Any other player that did what Zidane did would be hung , drawn and quatered. He skill excuses nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Next Zidane is a insane tag to give to anyone really, but in his own right Gourcuff is a excellent player, he's been brilliant for Bordeaux this season, as this thread has shown has sublime technique and skill, aswell as a pretty good finish.

If Milan don't take him back next season into their aging team they are nuts quite frankly, his fee atm is €13m, this is a bargain I think and I would honestly take him at United.

If i was Arsene Wenger I would go for Gourcuff before Arshavin, hes younger, cheaper and maybe just as talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That goal against PSG is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

keane2097 wrote: »
    That goal against PSG is ridiculous.

swap deal between AC & Liverpool for this lad and Agger.

you heard it here first :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Mr Alan wrote: »
    swap deal between AC & Liverpool for this lad and Agger.

you heard it here first :p;)

Yeh if he moved there someone would have to rename this thread as "the new Bruno Cheryru"!!!

Arsenal would be the best bet for him but I wouldnt rule out Milan taking him back for next season esp if there selling the likes of Kaka

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There is no way Gourcuff is going to be at AC Milan next year. I heard several rumours involving Marseille ;)

In fairness, Zidane was never that good. He was really really inconsistent for Juve. It's all well and good putting in great performances against the Inters and Milans but you have to do it at the Perugias and Piacenzas as well and so often he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dunno if posted Bordeuax can buy him for 15 million at the end of the season.

Dunno if milan will sell him tho, hes not finished yet and imo wont do it vs top teams in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness, Zidane was never that good. He was really really inconsistent for Juve. It's all well and good putting in great performances against the Inters and Milans but you have to do it at the Perugias and Piacenzas as well and so often he didn't

You've gone and done it now. Did you not know that describing Zidnae as anything other than a God-like , best player ever, is illegal on here?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Benzema is the new Zidane. Gourcuff is very good aswell tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

tdv wrote: »
    Benzema is the new Zidane. Gourcuff is very good aswell tho.

Benzema is nothing like zidane nor will he ever be, he is a totaly different type of player. Gourcuff actually has the same skills and plays roughly the same position so comparisons with him are to be expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

if I was Meelan I would swap kaka for recalling gorcuff plus a ludicrous amount of money,
    then re-invest in their aging stale squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

The goal for france in Xavi's OP is nothing compared to the fantastic soundtrack with which that rising star of a filmmaker has dubbed it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is the most ludicrous statement i have ever read - Zidane not that good? Before Messi came along Zidane was the best player since Maradona - easy. The guy was a genius - he carried France to 2 World Cup finals - winning 1 of them and scoring twice in the final. He was the main factor Juve won Seria A titles, Real Madrid won La Liga and he scored the winning wonder goal against Leverkusen in the Champion League final. He was the most skillful and creative playmaker since Maradona. His transfer fee to Madrid of £47m is still the highest ever paid - European footballer, World footballer of the year, player of the World Cup but ya he was never that good. :rolleyes:

Might have to rename this thread 'Yoann Gourcuff - the new Kaka?' :D

Warper wrote: »
    This is the most ludicrous statement i have ever read - Zidane not that good? Before Messi came along Zidane was the best player since Maradona - easy. The guy was a genius - he carried France to 2 World Cup finals - winning 1 of them and scoring twice in the final. He was the main factor Juve won Seria A titles, Real Madrid won La Liga and he scored the winning wonder goal against Leverkusen in the Champion League final. He was the most skillful and creative playmaker since Maradona. His transfer fee to Madrid of £47m is still the highest ever paid - European footballer, World footballer of the year, player of the World Cup but ya he was never that good. :rolleyes:

I take it your not a Juve fan. I am and trust me, he does (or didn't for us at least) perform in the away games at smaller teams. He was obviously a great player (by not that good I meant he's not one of the best in history and certainly wan't worth 70 something million euros) but when I was at a Juve game a few years ago the topic of Platini vs. Zidane came up and there was one resounding winner. He just wasn't consistent, a poor man's Totti

• Advertisement

A poor man's Totti?! :eek: Good Lord.

I've started a new thread anyway to keep this one OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He just ran the game, it was a joy to watch him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gourcuff voted France's POTY today.

Off topic, last summer incredibly Celtic tried to sign 3 of the 4 defenders in the team of the season. Obviously the scouts are doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

heh, the scouts were never the problem were they? ;)

anyway what's gonna happen this wee fellah now? Will Milan take him back or will they just try and cash in on his good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

he was savage in football manager though.

heh, the scouts were never the problem were they? ;)

anyway what's gonna happen this wee fellah now? Will Milan take him back or will they just try and cash in on his good season.

I think he is staying in France - its not clarified yet. There is a release clause in his contract for €15m. That would be the signing of the season for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bump.

Fantastic piece of play from Gourcuff and Chamakh for Bordeaux a couple weeks ago...

Fast forward to 4:00 minutes in the following clip:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3477149/j07_bordeaux_rennes/

Fast becoming my favourite player outside of Old Trafford.

He's class, isn't he. Fingers crossed we'll see him strutting his stuff on the big stage at the WC next summer. But I saw he wasn't in the matchday squad yesterday for France - is he injured currently? Or is Domenech just not a fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

If only i had joined soccer on boards a couple of years ago, my prophetic abilities would have been demonstrated here. Seen him a couple of years ago playing for Milan against Celtic in the Champions league, came on as a sub, was absolutely fantastic. Why on earth Milan didn't give him more game time is banana's.

Vokes wrote: »
    He's class, isn't he. Fingers crossed we'll see him strutting his stuff on the big stage at the WC next summer. But I saw he wasn't in the matchday squad yesterday for France - is he injured currently? Or is Domenech just not a fan?

He was injured

• Advertisement
Advertisement