Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

So Looby, if the seabourne car smashes into wing as he makes his way from seabourne to SQ, he is in the wrong for not giving way to his right.

I'm NOT talking about if the car is going to Superquinn. I don't think anyone can dispute that the car should give way here. I'm saying the car is taking the FIRST exit from Seabourne towards Kilcoole and the other car is in the right hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

1. Obey road markings (or 'get in lane' signs)

2. Stay in left lane if going left or straight on

2a. Indicate left if turning left (start indicating approx. 50m before roundabout - Use the roundabout sign at 50metres for a start signalling point - Also indicate before braking where possible!!)

2b. For going straight on - Don't indicate when approaching the roundabout then as soon as you have passed the first exit on the roundabout, indicate left and exit roundabout (while always staying in left lane).

3. For a 3rd exit (or exit more than 12 o'clock) be in right lane when approaching the roundabout. On approach to the roundabout begin indicating right at the 50m roundabout sign - Continue indicating around the roundabout and then indicate left to get off the roundabout after the 2nd exit. Be sure to check your left mirror for idiots when exiting.

4. If you enter the roundabout in a specific lane, be sure to exit on the same lane. For turning right and to reduce the possibility of collisions, keep to the outside (right hand) lane. Then move into the driving lane (inside or left lane) when safe to so.

5. DO NOT use the left lane to turn right on a roundabout (unless road markings/signs allow this in exceptional circumstances).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

wingding wrote: »
    I'm NOT talking about if the car is going to Superquinn. I don't think anyone can dispute that the car should give way here. I'm saying the car is taking the FIRST exit from Seabourne towards Kilcoole and the other car is in the right hand lane.

He must give way to traffic already on the roundabout, regardless of which way he wishes to go. Any other system would mean he would have to be absolutely certain of your intentions and lets be honest, on Irish roundabouts it's almost impossible to know what other people intend to do. Actually in my experience, L drivers are some of the best roundabout users, propably because they are up to date on ROTR.
    Anyway, the original point is getting a little lost. I maintain that you should aimm to exit a roundabout into the left hand lane of the exit road as a general rule. Circumstances may exist where this is not safe/possible, in which case the right hand lane can be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

The seabourne car should wait until you are clear and then turn left into left lane.

loobylou wrote: »
    He must give way to traffic already on the roundabout, regardless of which way he wishes to go. Any other system would mean he would have to be absolutely certain of your intentions and lets be honest, on Irish roundabouts it's almost impossible to know what other people intend to do. Actually in my experience, L drivers are some of the best roundabout users, propably because they are up to date on ROTR.
    Anyway, the original point is getting a little lost. I maintain that you should aimm to exit a roundabout into the left hand lane of the exit road as a general rule. Circumstances may exist where this is not safe/possible, in which case the right hand lane can be used.
    Yes. All of this is true.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    1. Obey road markings (or 'get in lane' signs)

2. Stay in left lane if going left or straight on

2a. Indicate left if turning left (start indicating approx. 50m before roundabout - Use the roundabout sign at 50metres for a start signalling point - Also indicate before braking where possible!!)

2b. For going straight on - Don't indicate when approaching the roundabout then as soon as you have passed the first exit on the roundabout, indicate left and exit roundabout (while always staying in left lane).

3. For a 3rd exit (or exit more than 12 o'clock) be in right lane when approaching the roundabout. On approach to the roundabout begin indicating right at the 50m roundabout sign - Continue indicating around the roundabout and then indicate left to get off the roundabout after the 2nd exit. Be sure to check your left mirror for idiots when exiting.

4. If you enter the roundabout in a specific lane, be sure to exit on the same lane. For turning right and to reduce the possibility of collisions, keep to the outside (right hand) lane. Then move into the driving lane (inside or left lane) when safe to so.

5. DO NOT use the left lane to turn right on a roundabout (unless road markings/signs allow this in exceptional circumstances).
    Point 2 and 5 are ones most widely ignored. When you blast them out of it for doing so. A blank expression is the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

As a learner driver who hasn't quite mastered roundabouts yet, can I give a big shout out to the myriad of people explaining the rules in their own inimitable way on this thread.....

Thanks so much, my head hurts and I really haven't a clue now, as everyone here seems to have their own opinion what TROTR are......

The seabourne car should wait until you are clear and then turn left into left lane.

Your point 4 in the previous post would mean that the car can turn left in the left lane.

Anyway, I give up, I've made my point...:rolleyes:

BenjAii wrote: »
    As a learner driver who hasn't quite mastered roundabouts yet, can I give a big shout out to the myriad of people explaining the rules in their own inimitable way on this thread.....

Thanks so much, my head hurts and I really haven't a clue now, as everyone here seems to have their own opinion what TROTR are......

Ask your driving instructor. You should never take a persons view unless they are a professional in that area.

Time to retire too, it's just lucky we don't have ones like this, http://www.strum.co.uk/wessex/brunpic.htm

• Advertisement

Your point 4 in the previous post would mean that the car can turn left in the left lane.

Anyway, I give up, I've made my point...:rolleyes:
    Wasn't my point. I give up too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Time to retire too, it's just lucky we don't have ones like this, http://www.strum.co.uk/wessex/brunpic.htm

Ouch!! Imagine that over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I disagree. If you are approaching a roundabout with two lanes before it, on it and exiting it then there is nothing wrong with using the right hand lane if you are going straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

just on an earlier point re. the 2 small roundabouts at killincarrig, be very careful there!!!

a friend of mine was approaching from greystones, saw on his approach that there was nothing coming down from kilcoole so simply slowed down and drove over the roundabout (as most people tend to do) to turn left up to delgany.

the cops were parked just up the road to kilcoole, stopped him, and he got 2 penalty points for not yielding at a roundabout and 2 more penalty points for driving over instead of around the (very small) roundabout. it was late at night and there was no traffic but the garda were insistent and hes now 4 points the worse off.

you have been warned, esp as there now seems to be a much higher police presence in the greystones/charlesland area (which, dont get me wrong, is a very good thing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

A friend of mine was nearly crashed into by garda car on the eden gate roundabout about two weeks ago.When they came around the roundabout the wrong way he reckons they were after a car who didnt indicate crossing lanes.He went to the garda station to report it they took the details and said they would look into it

eoin_s wrote: »
    I disagree. If you are approaching a roundabout with two lanes before it, on it and exiting it then there is nothing wrong with using the right hand lane if you are going straight through.

Nothing ''wrong'' with it I suppose. A lot of us do it. But it's technically illegal unless ''the left lane is left turn only or you are directed to do so by a Garda''.
    Fact.

eleMental wrote: »

a friend of mine was approaching from greystones, saw on his approach that there was nothing coming down from kilcoole so simply slowed down and drove over the roundabout (as most people tend to do) to turn left up to delgany.

the cops were parked just up the road to kilcoole, stopped him, and he got 2 penalty points for not yielding at a roundabout and 2 more penalty points for driving over instead of around the (very small) roundabout. it was late at night and there was no traffic but the garda were insistent and hes now 4 points the worse off.
    Oh well! I suppose he should be thankful that there wasn't someone exactly like him coming from the opposite direction.
    The points penalty will hopefully help him to relax a bit.

Nothing ''wrong'' with it I suppose. A lot of us do it. But it's technically illegal unless ''the left lane is left turn only or you are directed to do so by a Garda''.
    Fact.

So, take the roundabout from the N11 onto the M11 (Shankill roundabout). Dual carriageway entering it and leaving it, and two lanes on it as well. It's technically illegal to be in the right hand lane if you are going straight through?

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html
    Diagram 2. But yes I agree with you and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Oh well! I suppose he should be thankful that there wasn't someone exactly like him coming from the opposite direction.
    The points penalty will hopefully help him to relax a bit.

to be fair it was pitch dark & very late at night. had there been something coming down from kilcoole the headlights would have been clearly visible on approach. it wasnt like he sped through, he pretty much slowed right down to look left before proceeding but didnt come to a complete stop (which was what the first 2 points were for). imho 4 penalty points for this is extraordinarily harsh and i believe a caution would have sufficed....

anyway, without this turning into a separate discussion :o, my point was just that someone earlier had mentioned driving "over" the roundabout there (given its so tiny) and i was just cautioning against this (even though its tempting) as it now emerges its a 2 penalty point offense if youre unlucky enough to be caught.

• Advertisement

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html
    Diagram 2. But yes I agree with you and do the same.

Interesting the diagram and the text just above it seem to contradict each other:

roundabout_straight.jpg

The red dotted line seems to say that it's OK to take right hand lane to go straight on. That's certainly the route I take as I am normally overtaking people on junctions such as the N11 to M11.

Disclaimer - I am full up to the gills on wine at the moment, so have quite possibly missed some very obvious instructions that prove me wrong.

Interesting the diagram and the text just above it seem to contradict each other:

roundabout_straight.jpg

The red dotted line seems to say that it's OK to take right hand lane to go straight on. That's certainly the route I take as I am normally overtaking people on junctions such as the N11 to M11.

Disclaimer - I am full up to the gills on wine at the moment, so have quite possibly missed some very obvious instructions that prove me wrong.
    The red dotted line can only be used where,
    A. The left hand lane is for turning left only
    B. The left lane is blocked or closed
    C. When directed by a member of the Garda (Rules of the Road, page 109)

So yes, Straight ahead at Loughlinstown, left hand lane.
    Also, you should not be overtaking people on junctions.
    Maybe it's also time this was moved to the Motoring section.

Also, you should not be overtaking people on junctions.
    Maybe it's also time this was moved to the Motoring section.

Thanks for the advice. What I mean is I am generally in the overtaking lane of the slip road onto the M11 (as I am overtaking people), therefore I exit using the right hand lane of the roundabout, and will continue to do so.

Not moving it to motors as it has been done to death there as well. I'd rather lock this than force this upon the nice mods there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Can those of you who aren't aware that you are not meant to change lanes on a roundabout please read the rules of the road. Got flashed at this morning when she was the one in the wrong! :eek:

and use your bleedin indicators!

What I mean is I am generally in the overtaking lane of the slip road onto the M11 (as I am overtaking people), therefore I exit using the right hand lane of the roundabout, and will continue to do so.
    As do I and a lot of other people. Provided it's done carefully and look out for left lane idiots deciding to turn right or U turn , I dont see the problem. If everyone did left lane for straight ahead , the tailbacks would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

As do I and a lot of other people. Provided it's done carefully and look out for left lane idiots deciding to turn right or U turn , I dont see the problem. If everyone did left lane for straight ahead , the tailbacks would be ridiculous.

+1...

...can you imagine the N11 from Rathnew on a Tuesday morning heading into Dublin if people only used the left lane!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

ciaran67 wrote: »
    and use your bleedin indicators!

Who needs indicators? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Advertisement