Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is this the worst year for new music you can remember?

• 27-11-2008 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

It is for me. We're approaching the end of the year and, bar a few exceptions, the new music I've heard this year has been ****e, just ****e. From the continuing indie retro bull****, to the uninspired 80's electronic re-fad to rehashed Metal by numbers, this years releases have been shockingly poor for the music lover.

At one point I asked myself "Is it me getting old or is it the music that really is ****e?" and the answer, unquestionably, has to be it is the music.

Is this the first signs of the damge digital thievery is doing? Is there no more money being invested in getting good recordings with good producers, apart from established money in the bank acts vainly trying to recapture former glories? Is next year going to be worse?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

did you get Adebisi Shank's album?? If not then you've been listening to the wrong thing for the past 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, you are getting old. The kids think this is a great year!

I've thought the "music this year is the worst ever" every year since 1978 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was about to post saying that no, there were loads of great releases this year but then the first half a dozen albums that I thought of were all released in 2007 :).

Off the top of my head though, I recall In Flames, Meshuggah and Walls of Jericho releasing excellent albums this year.

I'll have to flick through my music when I get home to see what else I've forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Chinese democracy came out this year, that alone over powers alll the usual rubbish Trendy B.S bands

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, I can think of one or two nuggets alright (Cynic, anyone? ;) ) but just overall... hard to describe... I've always found new bands who sound good, who are doing something interesting. This year has been different. I can't recall of any new bands who've held my interest at all, seems to be the same old ****e rehashed. Even a lot of the old guard have put out muck. For the first time in my life I find myself looking continually back for old albums rather than keeping abreast of new releases, because the new releases I've heard have just been pure crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Yeah not much use on the metal front this year.

Death Magnetic, well I'm not getting into that.

Architects - Hollow Crown (January)

Lamb Of God - Wrath (January - February)

Two albums I'm looking forward to in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, for once I can't say with any honesty. I simply haven't been buying anywhere near as many CDs as I used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

Neuraxis, Arsis, the Facless, Cynic and Misery Signals all brought transcendental material out. I can see where you're coming from about the overall lack of output though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It hasn't been the best year to be honest, out of all the cds I've bought this year I'd say less than ten were released in '08. That's a hell of a lot less than last year.

Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Cynis was the only album that had me excited before its release - I find myself sticking to the older bands a lot lately, I just can't find anything that tickles my fancy at all these days ! Am I just old fashioned in my tastes (at 18:pac:) ? Or is everything else just sh1t :p ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

There's been a few crackers this year:
    Mouth of the Architect - Quietly
    Evergrey - Torn
    Mourning Beloveth - A Disease for the Ages
    Sabaton - The Art of War
    Epicurean - The Consequence of Design
    Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

Fail to see the musical drought you speak of :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

I thought there were quite a few stormers out tis year, such as:

Extreme - Saudades De Rock
    Opeth - Watershed
    Cynic - Traced In Air
    Metallica - Death Magnetic
    GNR - Chinese Democracy
    Testament - Formation of Damnation
    John 5 - Requiem
    Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock
    Ayreon - 01011001
    Firewind - The Premonition
    AC/DC - Black Ice
    The Black Mages - Darkness and Starlight
    Meshuggah - ObZen
    Ministry - Cover Up (maybe a coveralbum, but absolutely great!)
    Melvins - Nude With Boots

Not to mention a lot of great new albums by relatively unknown bands I picked up off sites like e-music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Totally forgot about Meshugah and Testament!

Also, Emmure, The Acacia Strain, Bury Your Dead, Walls Of Jericho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Watershed was a very good album imo...I like all the songs off it except track 1.

TMV released Bedlam in Goliath, another strong album...

NIN-ghosts + the slip

then there was Chinese Demo and DM, not great imo but decent.

But as for actual new bands in the past 5 years, I can't name any that would appeal to me.

I have this hypothesis that given that this decade is a lame/forced rehash of the 80s, 90% of the music will suck, just like it did in the 80s. Hence the dominance of sh1tty indie music with mock cockney accents and the ubiquity of chicks who dress like grannies singing about mundane crap.

I'd set my watch on warrant on it that there are some great bands out there that just aren't given the chance and aren't getting signed because they happen to write innovative music which doesn't fit into the current climate.

Aside from Charlotte Hatherley's The Deep Blue, NINs Year Zero and Radioheads In Rainbows, 2007 was for me the ultimate musical drought year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

DEATH MAGNETIC & BLACK ICE!!

i'm happy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think it's been a good year. In terms of metal I've been really digging:
    Moss Sub Templum
    5ive* Hesperus
    Cynic Traced in Air
    Lair of the Minotaur War Metal Battle Master
    Sunn O))) Domkirke
    Ocean Pantheon of the Lesser
    Ascend Ample Fire Within

And outside of metal, this year has seen such magnificent releases such as:
    Emeralds Solar Bridge (probably album of the year for me)
    Grails Take Refuge in Clean Living
    Grails Doomsdayer's Holiday
    Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy with Harem Scarem & Alex Neilson Is it the Sea?
    Earth The Bees Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull
    Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
    Nurse With Wound Huffin' Rag Blues

So I say it's your age.

*no, not the boyband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Twilight of the Thunder God made my freakin' year. Can't wait to see these guys live at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

New GNR, New Marillion, New AC/DC and the delayed Jesus and Mary Chain boxset of unreleased stuff (yeah i know the latter falls into alternative but majority rules as far as list goes).

Definitely not the worst year by a long shot. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

lord lucan wrote: »
    DEATH MAGNETIC & BLACK ICE!!

i'm happy.:D

Those with Opeth- Watershed,and King's X -XV i'm happy.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    The Black Mages - Darkness and Starlight

There was a new Black Mages album? ****... Gotta get me that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Thrice,
    Say Anything (well it came out in Europe this year)
    Metallica
    Bring Me The Horizon
    NIN
    Heathers (Not rock or metal though)

all released absolutely brilliant albums this year, but i havent really bought much in terms or new music (or bought very much at all really, need to start paying for music :S)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

found the white album again this year so its been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Sounds like OP is aging alright... though new releases from new/up and coming bands has indeed been relatively uninspired, as mentioned by previous posters there has been plenty of decent releases this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sandor wrote: »
    Twilight of the Thunder God made my freakin' year. Can't wait to see these guys live at some stage.

Their playing Cork Winterfest in December, not much of a jaunt from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Misery Index - Traitors is a great album. Check it out.

Also +1 for obZen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

You know, for once I can't say with any honesty. I simply haven't been buying anywhere near as many CDs as I used to.

Ditto :-(

New Cynic is immense though. Apart from that, I've mostly been listening to the last Black Keys and Type O's 'Dead Again' (from 2007 but re-released this year :p). No harm going back to the old collection - been listening to a ton of Carcass (for their damnation fest appearance) and Death recently. Can't beat it.

I suppose I also listened to a fair bit of death magnetic when it came out but it didn't really grab me (still think it's decent tho). Didn't get on with the last Melvins sadly, after loving 'a senile animal' :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Metallica, AC/DC, and Guns N Roses all released records. Who the hell cares if the other stuff was a litttle poor !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Didnt think it was a great year myself.

Listening to a lot of older stuff like Immortal and Sigh.

Jesus, Gallows Gallery is one mental album

Opeth, Cynic and Donita Sparks' albums were this years saviours for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I thought ObZen was weak by Meshuggah's standards. Came across as being contrived, slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

John wrote: »
    I think it's been a good year. In terms of metal I've been really digging:
    Moss Sub Templum
    5ive* Hesperus
    Cynic Traced in Air
    Lair of the Minotaur War Metal Battle Master
    Sunn O))) Domkirke
    Ocean Pantheon of the Lesser
    Ascend Ample Fire Within

And outside of metal, this year has seen such magnificent releases such as:
    Emeralds Solar Bridge (probably album of the year for me)
    Grails Take Refuge in Clean Living
    Grails Doomsdayer's Holiday
    Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy with Harem Scarem & Alex Neilson Is it the Sea?
    Earth The Bees Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull
    Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
    Nurse With Wound Huffin' Rag Blues

So I say it's your age.

*no, not the boyband.

I liked that last Lair Of The Minotaur album when it came out but it's not super to my ears a few months down the line. The Ultimate Destroyer is still their best effort.... What a crushing album.

Best metal for me is the last Mourning Beloveth and Death Magnetic. Not too gone on the production on DM or Hetfields vocal performance but the songs are suprisingly good.

On a non-metal front I really liked the last Bruce Springsteen album.

Overall a really bad year for albums and gigs though

Advertisement