Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is this the worst year for new music you can remember?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

finbarr wrote: »
    I liked that last Lair Of The Minotaur album when it came out but it's not super to my ears a few months down the line. The Ultimate Destroyer is still their best effort.... What a crushing album.

I still really like the new album but I agree that The Ultimate Destroyer is more fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

finbarr wrote: »
    On a non-metal front I really liked the last Bruce Springsteen album.

Me too, but that was 2007! :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

My favourite albums (and i think the only One's i actually bought) of this year

Hinder- Take It To The Limit
    Shinedown - Sound Of Madness
    Staind - The Illusion Of Progress
    Buckcherry - Black Butterfly
    The Subways - All Or Nothing
    AC/DC - Black Ice
    Black Stone Cherry - Folklore And Superstition
    Rev Theory - Light It Up
    Stone Gods - Silver Spoons And Broken Bones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Bought the following albums this year so far:

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
    Battlelore -The Last Alliance
    Disturbed - Indestructible
    Testament - Formation of Damnation
    Firewind - The Premonition
    Artsas - The Healing
    Operatika - The Calling
    Enslaved - Vertebrae
    Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
    Moonspell - Night Eternal
    Hollenthon - Opus Magnum
    Crematory - Pray
    Soulfly - Conquer
    Tiamat - Amanethes
    Communic - Payment of Existance
    Draconian - Turning Season Within

All in all 2008 has been a great year for metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

My favourite albums (and i think the only One's i actually bought) of this year

Hinder- Take It To The Limit
    Shinedown - Sound Of Madness
    Staind - The Illusion Of Progress
    Buckcherry - Black Butterfly
    The Subways - All Or Nothing
    AC/DC - Black Ice
    Black Stone Cherry - Folklore And Superstition
    Rev Theory - Light It Up
    Stone Gods - Silver Spoons And Broken Bones

What do you think of Stone Gods? I have that album too, but I thought it was a bit too Bryan Adams in places.

Forgot to mention Dragonforce, Ultra Beatdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

DenMan wrote: »
    Bought the following albums this year so far:

Moonspell - Night Eternal
    Hollenthon - Opus Magnum

All in all 2008 has been a great year for metal.

Wasn't too fond of Moonspell's latest effort, was fairly underwhelmed by it, not a bad album, just didn't reach my expectations considering their solid back catalogue.

Didn't know Opus Magnum was out yet, is it more like Domus Mundi (which was absolutely unreal) or With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell (a fairly poor follow up)? Really hope they return to the much more folk and keyboard based sound, they had a really unique sound with Domus Mundi, and some of the songs are simply phenomenal. Vita Nova especially, the best outro to an album I've heard until Chthonic's Quasi Putrefaction (off Seediq Bale), which has to be one of the best songs ever written..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Pugsley wrote: »
    Wasn't too fond of Moonspell's latest effort, was fairly underwhelmed by it, not a bad album, just didn't reach my expectations considering their solid back catalogue.

Didn't know Opus Magnum was out yet, is it more like Domus Mundi (which was absolutely unreal) or With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell (a fairly poor follow up)? Really hope they return to the much more folk and keyboard based sound, they had a really unique sound with Domus Mundi, and some of the songs are simply phenomenal. Vita Nova especially, the best outro to an album I've heard until Chthonic's Quasi Putrefaction (off Seediq Bale), which has to be one of the best songs ever written..

Sorry about that, you're dead right. Just re-checked the albums. Got Domus Mundi back in July and will get Opus Magnum in the next few weeks. Been hearing great things about them over the summer so got Domus Mundi. Love the single Homage - Magni Nominis Umbra, very epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Het-Field wrote: »
    Metallica, AC/DC, and Guns N Roses all released records. Who the hell cares if the other stuff was a litttle poor !!!

I think what Doctor J means is that the safe money is being spent by record companies to promote the above bands who are more than established at this stage and that theres nobody willing to take the risk of pumping some money into something new and fresh.

No doubt theres fantastic unheard gems out there but feck all revenue is being pumped into these bands by companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Ain't bought near as many cds as usual this year. The albums have been poor, save a few
    Chinese Democracy was this ****ty modern rock bull****. Simple as.
    Death Magnetic was a good album, but certainly not a great one, just overhyped due to the **** Metalica have been delivering since the Black album.
    NIN's The Slip was a good album, a pleasent surprise considering it was free, but nowhere near as good as last years Ghosts.
    Weezer yet again delivered their worst album.
    Oasis did a rehash of their first two albums, and managed to get worse.

*disgruntled*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ain't bought near as many cds as usual this year. The albums have been poor, save a few
    Chinese Democracy was this ****ty modern rock bull****. Simple as.
    Death Magnetic was a good album, but certainly not a great one, just overhyped due to the **** Metalica have been delivering since the Black album.
    NIN's The Slip was a good album, a pleasent surprise considering it was free, but nowhere near as good as last years Ghosts.
    Weezer yet again delivered their worst album.
    Oasis did a rehash of their first two albums, and managed to get worse.

*disgruntled*

Wasn't ghosts released this year?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

So it was. My mistake, think I mixed it up with Radioheads In Rainbows for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Doc.J.
    ...WAS just about to agree with ya about what a louzy year for music...when just then!!...the new RUSH DVD landed on me head......ahh the boys have done it again...

RUSH have saved us yet again from the drivel and waffle that is the modern music world and now all is well again in happy music land ;)

happy "Snakes and Arrows DVD" viewing amigo ...Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Rockee wrote: »
    I think what Doctor J means is that the safe money is being spent by record companies to promote the above bands who are more than established at this stage and that theres nobody willing to take the risk of pumping some money into something new and fresh.

No doubt theres fantastic unheard gems out there but feck all revenue is being pumped into these bands by companies.
    I'm glad at least one person was paying attention, and a drummer at that :p

Are you Joe King?!

New Metallica album....new Guns N' Roses album......it's like it's 1987 all over again!! :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It is only if you were still a sperm when 1987 came around the first time :p

...and you're deaf this time around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Doctor J wrote: »
    I'm glad at least one person was paying attention, and a drummer at that :p

Well, shucks J..:D

Advertisement